Video Game Thread

TheTruth05

26 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Anyone have any luck getting a PS5 this week? Apparently my Target has a few that they're selling in-store tomorrow so I'm going for that

I was in the online checkout on Costco's website for over an hour, but didn't get one. They had issues with everyone's CVV codes on their credit cards being rejected. After trying different browsers and devices, I finally saw someone suggest signing up for Visa Checkout. I did and finally got through to the "place order" page, but as soon as I clicked it I got an error saying that the item was sold out. 😔

I don't really need the PS5 until The Show comes out, but if I can get one from Costco, I'm going to, because of their return policy in case these first batch systems have problems.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was in the online checkout on Costco's website for over an hour, but didn't get one. They had issues with everyone's CVV codes on their credit cards being rejected. After trying different browsers and devices, I finally saw someone suggest signing up for Visa Checkout. I did and finally got through to the "place order" page, but as soon as I clicked it I got an error saying that the item was sold out. 😔

I don't really need the PS5 until The Show comes out, but if I can get one from Costco, I'm going to, because of their return policy in case these first batch systems have problems.

This is how I feel too. Plus theres still enough games I haven't gotten a chance to play on PS4 yet and Miles Morales is on PS4 as well so I personally do not see the need to upgrade yet.

21 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Mine came today. I preordered it back in September. I held out on the PS4 for the 5 (I bought an Xbox for the first time last generation.) Mainly going to play last generation exclusives to start. Since its around black Friday Im getting some games at $25.

Yeah there is a lot of them. Definitely need to get Last of Us 1 and 2 for sure.

People should be buying an Xbox Series X and a membership to Gamepass which is the best deal in video games.  All 1st party games will be free on the service and given their recent acquisitions their list of exclusives should eventually trump Sony’s.  Also, for baseball fans, MLB The Show is being forced to go multiplatform next year I believe.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

People should be buying an Xbox Series X and a membership to Gamepass which is the best deal in video games.  All 1st party games will be free on the service and given their recent acquisitions their list of exclusives should eventually trump Sony’s.  Also, for baseball fans, MLB The Show is being forced to go multiplatform next year I believe.

The Xbox may be superior. The ps4 was the first playstation I never bought. The Xbox S One was the first Xbox I ever owned. So for now it made more sense to get the Ps5.

I played Astros Playground for a bit, the new controller is a pretty impressive.

For most people it will likely come down to exclusives. 

16 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The Xbox may be superior. The ps4 was the first playstation I never bought. The Xbox S One was the first Xbox I ever owned. So for now it made more sense to get the Ps5.

I played Astros Playground for a bit, the new controller is a pretty impressive.

For most people it will likely come down to exclusives. 

Xbox had a bad generation when it came to exclusives, but they now have a ton of 1st party studios and look to be buying more.  Acquiring Bethesda is a true game changer and got me to start the generation with them.  I love Sony and I hear their new controller is amazing, but getting every Microsoft exclusive for free with Gamepass completely changes the calculus.

Lucky enough to have both consoles so far. I like both Sony and Microsoft (I guess I leaned more towards Microsoft in the mid 2000s which I think was the golden era of Xbox) so I don't really have loyalties one way or the other. For Playstation it's all about the exclusives, as it always has been, for Microsoft, Game Pass is amazing. Plus the Series X is def pushing more horsepower (slightly faster SSD on the PS5) so for multiplatform games I'm getting the Xbox versions of most things. The Series X is more powerful than my PC right now (Ryzen 7 2700x with GTZ 1070, so a lot more powerful unless I got like a 3080 or something like that).

Also the PS5 is GIGANTIC. Geeeeeez.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 2:14 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Hogwarts Legacy looks so damn good. Looks like the September release date is likely pushed back to November/December with the now "Holiday 2022" label at the end of the video. But shit, that 15 minutes of gameplay was awesome.

If only they could get JK Rowling to stop tweeting so they could launch the game without controversy 😂 

31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If only they could get JK Rowling to stop tweeting so they could launch the game without controversy 😂 

I think the video game is disassociated with her enough to not have to worry about backlash. I don't recall any of the Fantastic Beast movies facing boycotts or bad press over the past things that Rowling has said on Twitter.

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think the video game is disassociated with her enough to not have to worry about backlash. I don't recall any of the Fantastic Beast movies facing boycotts or bad press over the past things that Rowling has said on Twitter.

It's happening now

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/jk-rowlings-anti-transgender-stance-and-hogwarts-legacy/1100-6501632/

https://www.thegamer.com/hogwarts-legacy-harry-potter-jk-rowling-controversy/amp/

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/03/18/jk-rowling-and-the-trans-war-on-women/amp/

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

That first link just seemed like an opportunity to copy and paste the same article about Rowling since then last time a HP title came out.

The 2nd article is written by someone who somehow thought the reveal video was boring, clearly with a score to settle based on their feelings about Rowling 

"It’s an open world, but we never get to see much of it, and despite chucking us around to practically every location on offer, only the Room of Requirement and the optional dungeons look interesting. We see nothing that even resembles a good boss battle, likely because the combat is so boring, and the lesson portions of the game look to be disjointed affairs that gamify basic functions like pouring potion in ways that will quickly grow tiresome. The plot, meanwhile, revolves around the anti-Semitic caricatures rebelling, and seems to cast the hero yet again as a Chosen One as Harry Potter struggles with the same issues of Star Wars, in that its impossible for a nobody to be a somebody. They have to be born a special somebody. Considering the stereotyped minorities, gender essentialism, and a Sorting Hat that defines your entire life by the person you are as an 11-year-old, it’s no surprise Harry Potter stories continue to reinforce the idea you can only be special if you were born special."

🤦

And the 3rd article doesn't mention the game at all.

I'm just saying I don't think the controversy about Rowling is going to threaten the chances of this game being released, just maybe the sales from those who have been turned off of HP because of Rowling, which I suppose could affect future releases or DLC updates if the game doesn't sell well I suppose.

But like I said, the Fantastic Beast movies continue to churn out during all this controversy, so I'm not worried about the game being threatened.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That first link just seemed like an opportunity to copy and paste the same article about Rowling since then last time a HP title came out.

The 2nd article is written by someone who somehow thought the reveal video was boring, clearly with a score to settle based on their feelings about Rowling 

"It’s an open world, but we never get to see much of it, and despite chucking us around to practically every location on offer, only the Room of Requirement and the optional dungeons look interesting. We see nothing that even resembles a good boss battle, likely because the combat is so boring, and the lesson portions of the game look to be disjointed affairs that gamify basic functions like pouring potion in ways that will quickly grow tiresome. The plot, meanwhile, revolves around the anti-Semitic caricatures rebelling, and seems to cast the hero yet again as a Chosen One as Harry Potter struggles with the same issues of Star Wars, in that its impossible for a nobody to be a somebody. They have to be born a special somebody. Considering the stereotyped minorities, gender essentialism, and a Sorting Hat that defines your entire life by the person you are as an 11-year-old, it’s no surprise Harry Potter stories continue to reinforce the idea you can only be special if you were born special."

🤦

And the 3rd article doesn't mention the game at all.

I'm just saying I don't think the controversy about Rowling is going to threaten the chances of this game being released, just maybe the sales from those who have been turned off of HP because of Rowling, which I suppose could affect future releases or DLC updates if the game doesn't sell well I suppose.

But like I said, the Fantastic Beast movies continue to churn out during all this controversy, so I'm not worried about the game being threatened.

I never thought it would threaten the game, all I'm saying is it would be nice if she could just not be super transphobic for just a moment while the game came out.  

her "universe" is clearly not threatened by her behavior, it is just a shame that it needs to be so loud and just keeps going 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I never thought it would threaten the game, all I'm saying is it would be nice if she could just not be super transphobic for just a moment while the game came out.  

her "universe" is clearly not threatened by her behavior, it is just a shame that it needs to be so loud and just keeps going 

Yea I agree. She only does herself and her legacy a disservice by letting people know what kind of person she is. 

• 1 month later...