Now that I've had a chance to think about things...

KnightsOnMintSt

2 hours ago, Focurjay said:

Rick Hahn is that you?

Just kidding, Now we need to really hope that 5-8 of this kids pan out or we are going to be screwed for the next few years

This exactly.  If 5-6 of these kids pan out, they will be willing to pay someone in a trade for a guy with 2-3 years left to make a run.  There will be no long term deals, especially for huge money.  I'll be more irritated at this point if they spend $30 million on some slightly above average talent at 2-3 positions for no good reason.  Let the kids at this point take their lumps and let's see what we have.  I'll be doing that from my living room  this year because I'm tired of the spin of this FO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ditka19861 said:

I think the Sox go after Arenado hard next year, which may be better for the rebuild... 3B hits .290+, 35HR+, 110RBI+, not all the "baggage" 

Abreu 1st

Moncada/Madrigal 2nd

Anderson SS

Arenado 3rd

Not a bad infield...

OF - Jimenez, Robert, Basabe, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Adolfo

Lots of youth in the outfield, but tons of potential...

f**etaboutit.  You're dreamin'.  Arenado isn't going anywhere, and if he does, it won't be to White Sox.  

He's likely to get and sign 8 years at $265mm, give or take.  Soon.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

It’s not about Machado, it’s about how the White Sox just proved that even in a literally ideal, all-planets-aligned situation, they will not pay market rate for the player they need. Even when the market is depressed. 

They will take your money while they rebuild, but they will not spend it to contend. 

That market rate was $300M guaranteed. Who knew and only one team offered that.  Free agency didn't linger this long at one time. 

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Just forget about Arenado...no way in HELL he comes here.

Why would any great free agent trust the White Sox and not get an opt out to protect themselves in a long term contract of 6-10 years?

It just defies belief that any agent would box their client in like that for an organization that will never be the highest bidder.

Rendon's last 2 years have been MVP quality. but he'll be 30 for the 2020 season so the Sox might want to put incentives in 3 years of a six year deal or might not even offer 6 years .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Rendon's last 2 years have been MVP quality. but he'll be 30 for the 2020 season so the Sox might want to put incentives in 3 years of a six year deal or might not even offer 6 years .

30 year old free agents mean you’d better be competitive in the first or second year and you have a relatively small window with that player before they decline. I don’t think the Sox as constructed are competitive in 2020. They’re relying way too heavily on all their prospects hitting at the same time this year to be good enough to sign a few key free agents for 2020 to push them over the top. Machado buys you some leeway to not have to rely heavily on Moncada and Madrigal, and Harper allows you to trade from depth for other pieces.

Also honestly even if they’re still good for a while Rendon and Arenado are pipe dreams. They’ve never done anything but overpay mediocre players.

• Thanks 1

I don't think now is the time to give up hope. Yes it sucks and it's always an uphill battle given that every year you battle 29 other teams and our own front office.

Maybe Moncada becomes a smash hit at third (doubtful). The Sox have this year to find out some things. Hopefully less injuries to prospects and more linear development of others in the minors and our young  big leaguers. Management won't stop trying and we can hope they stop failing . We cannot sulk forever.

It's OK to be disappointed or sad or even angry but if you are to continue being Sox fans then you will continue to want them to win, maybe not with all your heart for now. But if they do manage to sign a premium FA or two and we see some progress they will start to capture your full heart again and you will be there rooting for them to win in the playoffs. So we might as well get over it and get back on the horse .

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think now is the time to give up hope. Yes it sucks and it's always an uphill battle given that every year you battle 29 other teams and our own front office.

Maybe Moncada becomes a smash hit at third (doubtful). The Sox have this year to find out some things. Hopefully less injuries to prospects and more linear development of others in the minors and our young  big leaguers. Management won't stop trying and we can hope they stop failing . We cannot sulk forever.

It's OK to be disappointed or sad or even angry but if you are to continue being Sox fans then you will continue to want them to win, maybe not with all your heart for now. But if they do manage to sign a premium FA or two and we see some progress they will start to capture your full heart again and you will be there rooting for them to win in the playoffs. So we might as well get over it and get back on the horse .

Way too soon...