If White Sox are sold

Justinsettle

MLB is looking at expanding, due to the ridiculous expansion fees they can get, they'll discourage teams moving as to not burn a potential expansion market.  White Sox are in a major media market and have had decent payrolls in the past and will do well business-wise if they win.  I don't see MLB or MLBA wanting them to move. 

3 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

MLB is looking at expanding, due to the ridiculous expansion fees they can get, they'll discourage teams moving as to not burn a potential expansion market.  White Sox are in a major media market and have had decent payrolls in the past and will do well business-wise if they win.  I don't see MLB or MLBA wanting them to move. 

Good point, but I believe there are numerous cities MLB would consider even though some of them have  minor league teams:

Portland

Vegas

OK City

Mexico City

Puerto Rico

Montreal

Indy

San Antonio 

New Orleans

Charlotte

Sacramento 

Edited by Peacock Wrestler

1 minute ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Good point, but I believe there are numerous cities MLB would consider even though some of them have  minor league teams:

Portland

Vegas

OK City

Mexico City

Puerto Rico

Montreal

Indy

San Antonio 

New Orleans

Charlotte

Sacramento 

Scratch Puerto Rico after the hurricane...

2 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Portland

Vegas

OK City

Mexico City

Puerto Rico

Montreal

Indy

San Antonio 

New Orleans

Charlotte

Sacramento 

I'm not saying there's a zero possibility, but a city wanting a team and being able to bamboozle its citizens into paying for a stadium isn't as easy as it once was.  I'm sure MLB would love all those cities to be ready to take a team tomorrow, but realistically that is not going to happen. 

Just now, SoxFan562004 said:

I'm not saying there's a zero possibility, but a city wanting a team and being able to bamboozle its citizens into paying for a stadium isn't as easy as it once was.  I'm sure MLB would love all those cities to he ready to take a team tomorrow, but realistically that is not going to happen. 

True, but all it takes is one city.  Montreal wants a team back.  I almost guarantee they can find the funds somehow.  

1 minute ago, SoxFan562004 said:

Right, and MLB would push for expansion, not a move.  It's a several hundred million dollar difference in revenue to MLB. 

True, but at the same time I believe MLB is going to want to market in as many different markets as possible.  However, you are bringing valid points.  I'm thinking there's enough interest in cities for expansion and relocation to occur, but the financials will be the deciding factor.   

Man, some of you guys are clueless.

There has been 1 baseball team relocated since 1973.  The White Sox are a charter franchise, that has played in the same mile radius for nearly 120 years, longest of any team in North American sports.  

Teams move primarily for 1 reason, they don't have an adequate stadium.  Nearly every move since the turn of the century has fallen into this: Expos, Sonics, Rams, Chargers, Raiders... 

The Thrashers played in a modern stadium, but their ownership group wanted them out of there.       

TV and sponsorship money playing second fiddle in Chicago than it's ever going to be in friggen Portland or Charlotte.  

Edited by soxfan18
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, soxfan18 said:

Man, some of you guys are clueless.

There has been 1 baseball team relocated since 1973.  The White Sox are a charter franchise, that has played in the same mile radius for nearly 120 years, longest of any team in North American sports.  

Teams move primarily for 1 reason, they don't have an adequate stadium.  Nearly every move since the turn of the century has fallen into this: Expos, Sonics, Rams, Chargers, Raiders, they all fall into this.  The Thrashers played in a modern stadium, but their ownership group wanted them out of there.       

TV and sponsorship money playing second fiddle in Chicago than it's ever going to be in friggen Portland or Charlotte.  

Right, or NOLA.

Look, I'm pissed at the Sox right now as others are here because I know they could afford the Machado contract and they didn't step up, likely, because JR is old school and wouldn't sign the biggest FA contract in history, but this comes down to money for MLB.  As noted above, Sox as a distant 2nd team in this market still is valuable and has a potential to be more lucrative than other markets. 

I’m sure there will be some rumblings, but overall I think MLB wants to add teams, not move them. And no matter how you hard you try, Oakland, Tampa, and Miami are in much worse shape than the Sox IMO. The market is there, it’s Chicago for fucks sake. It just has never been tapped into because of how the team is operated. There will be an owner that sees that and things will change. 

16 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I was told today that JRs White Sox investors are pressuring him to sell the team ASAP. They're not young men anymore and they want their money.  It could  happen this year. I hope so.

Ah, we're still doing this. Sweet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2