If White Sox are sold

Justinsettle

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Root for the Brewers this year it'll be more fun.

I'd root for the Astros but can't due to their choice of closers to acquire last year.

Ill check in on them. I love that they competing. Honestly I will always love the sox. I just wish..... 

43 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I’m sure there will be some rumblings, but overall I think MLB wants to add teams, not move them. And no matter how you hard you try, Oakland, Tampa, and Miami are in much worse shape than the Sox IMO. The market is there, it’s Chicago for fucks sake. It just has never been tapped into because of how the team is operated. There will be an owner that sees that and things will change. 

I actually agree with this. 

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

Sox move and I either forget about baseball or root for the brewers or mets

My buddy and I's plan if new ownership ever screwed us over and moved the team would be to become Brewers fans. Especially if their name and logo changes to where they weren't even the Sox anymore. Fortunately, I don't think they will ever move.

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I’m sure there will be some rumblings, but overall I think MLB wants to add teams, not move them. And no matter how you hard you try, Oakland, Tampa, and Miami are in much worse shape than the Sox IMO. The market is there, it’s Chicago for fucks sake. It just has never been tapped into because of how the team is operated. There will be an owner that sees that and things will change. 

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!  This!  A thousand times, this.  Look at how the Cubs fortunes changed once they scraped the Tribune Company from the bottoms of their shoes and brought in the Ricketts.  In less than a decade they went from the lovable losers to a powerhouse in baseball, taking full advantage of being in the Chicago market.  Our sad sack of an owner has failed to do so, but not because there is a problem with Chicago or the market.  The market is there, as this poster pointed out.  We just need a new, competent owner to come in and tap into what is there for the taking.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!  This!  A thousand times, this.  Look at how the Cubs fortunes changed once they scraped the Tribune Company from the bottoms of their shoes and brought in the Ricketts.  In less than a decade they went from the lovable losers to a powerhouse in baseball, taking full advantage of being in the Chicago market.  Our sad sack of an owner has failed to do so, but not because there is a problem with Chicago or the market.  The market is there, as this poster pointed out.  We just need a new, competent owner to come in and tap into what is there for the taking.  

Ricketts did it right.  He got people from winning organizations.  Their scouting is very good.  We were lucky to fleece them of two good prospects for Q. Plus there is some luck involved when hitting on draft choices.   Some don't remember the Sox where a hot product in the 80's.  Before the days of online ticket sales, our family would drive over 60 miles to the park to get tickets and had to go back home.

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I was told today that JRs White Sox investors are pressuring him to sell the team ASAP. They're not young men anymore and they want their money.  It could  happen this year. I hope so.

Still pushing this line from your "sources"?

Bottom line is this, JR has repeatedly said and PUBLICLY said multiple times that HE IS NOT SELLING. Period...end of story. Because of the monstrous hit his family would take via capital gains taxes it is better financially to keep the team until he dies, then his heirs won't have that burden.

He has also publicly and repeatedly said he has advised his family to keep the Bulls and sell the Sox.

Others have tried to buy the Sox from him in the past 10 years or so, including the Chicagoan who now owns the Cubs South Bend franchise. He said he offered to buy them twice but each time JR said no, so he gave up and is now in bed with the Cubs. (There was a big story on this in the Tribune)

Mark Gonzales told me the former owner of the Memphis Grizzlies offered to but the team from JR. Again he said no. That person wound up passing away from an illness by the way so in the long run perhaps it was a good thing JR did not sell to him. 

The point is this, while it's clear JR is the bane of this franchise (and the Bulls) until death claims him, he isn't going anywhere and he will not sell. Right or wrong that's reality and we better get used to it.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Cuban writes a big enough check, he will get a team. MLB only cares about 1 thing: CA$H.

After the NHL and NFL moved to Las Vegas after years of holier than thou posturing about gambling, comments like "Cuban will never get MLB ownership approval" went out the window.

7 hours ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Good point, but I believe there are numerous cities MLB would consider even though some of them have  minor league teams:

Portland

Vegas

OK City

Mexico City

Puerto Rico

Montreal

Indy

San Antonio 

New Orleans

Charlotte

Sacramento 

You are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Why on Earth would MLB want a team moving out of a metropolitan area with 9.5 million people? If anything, I could see MLB approving a move to the suburbs. Naperville would make sense. Put a state of the art stadium close to the interstates out in the western suburbs. Plenty of professional sports teams play / have played in the suburbs of major cities.

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I was told today that JRs White Sox investors are pressuring him to sell the team ASAP. They're not young men anymore and they want their money.  It could  happen this year. I hope so.

I would be happy with this. All the White Sox need is an owner who is willing to invest. Someone who sees that having Machado or Harper wearing our colors puts butts in the seats, increases TV contract revenue, sells merchandise, increases playoff revenue, and grows the fanbase. Hopefully, whoever JR sells the team to understands this and empowers his GM to make the necessary moves.

6 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Agree.

8 hours ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Good point, but I believe there are numerous cities MLB would consider even though some of them have  minor league teams:

Portland

Vegas

OK City

Mexico City

Puerto Rico

Montreal

Indy

San Antonio 

New Orleans

Charlotte

Sacramento 

Portland... Probably the most attractive US market without MLB because it has 2.5 million people and only an NBA team. Still only the size of Pittsburgh.

Las Vegas is 2 million people and will have NHL and NFL. Already full of entertainment. TV deal will suck.

Oklahoma City has a population of 1.4 million. Not gonna happen.

Mexico City is the largest city in North America. But its a long way away from the rest of the league.

San Juan, Puerto Rico has 2.4 million people but the Commonwealth is having a really bad financial crunch. Who's going to pay for a $600 million plus stadium there?

Montreal has 4 million people and when MLB expands, if someone will build a stadium, the National League is probably coming back.

Indianapolis has 2.3 million people, the NFL, NBA, and Cincinnati 100 miles away.

San Antonio and Austin are 80 miles apart. SA has 2.4 million and Austin has 2.2 million. Austin is also a wealthier city than San Antonio. If MLB went there, it'd probably be Austin but the markets would both be exploited by a perspective team. 

New Orleans has 1.3 million and has no business having the NFL and the NBA right now. Definitely can't afford the MLB.

Charlotte is 2.5 million and a front runner with Portland and Montreal. But Charlotte already has the NFL and NBA taking a great amount of the money out of the market for a potential MLB team. Raleigh is slightly smaller than Charlotte but only has the NHL. It also has three major ACC programs in the metro area.

Sacramento has 2.4 million, only an NBA franchise, but two MLB teams 80 miles away. It's almost like the Milwaukee Brewers. Milwaukee would never get an MLB team today being so small (2 million) and close to Chicago.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Nashville. That's the hot city on the tip of everyone's tongue. Nashville has 2 million and the same issue as Charlotte, Las Vegas, and incredibly, New Orleans; two big league sports franchises already sucking the oxygen out of a potential MLB franchise's atmosphere.

Chicago is an attractive market for both a National League and American League franchise and can afford to sellout both stadiums all 162 games. That's why the question of whether the Sox would leave Chicago is a non-starter. If a younger owner came in and bought the Sox, they could easily find one of the suburbs to allow them to Cobb County a new stadium and let them develop the real estate around the new park. We know the city and the state won't pay for a new park, but Chicago is attractive enough as a market that Reinsdorf taking the fanbase for granted can be overcome with actual hope and not optimism tempered by mistrust. 

Edited by Latilleon

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Mark Gonzales told me the former owner of the Memphis Grizzlies offered to but the team from JR. Again he said no. That person wound up passing away from an illness by the way so in the long run perhaps it was a good thing JR did not sell to him. 

Michael Heisley was a cheapskate all day long who made his billions buying depressed assets and selling them when he got the value up. He was also a year younger than JR. So him buying the team would have been a business move, not a rich guy's luxury toy move. That's why its good he didn't buy. 

46 minutes ago, Latilleon said:

Portland... Probably the most attractive US market without MLB because it has 2.5 million people and only an NBA team. Still only the size of Pittsburgh.

Las Vegas is 2 million people and will have NHL and NFL. Already full of entertainment. TV deal will suck.

Oklahoma City has a population of 1.4 million. Not gonna happen.

Mexico City is the largest city in North America. But its a long way away from the rest of the league.

San Juan, Puerto Rico has 2.4 million people but the Commonwealth is having a really bad financial crunch. Who's going to pay for a $600 million plus stadium there?

Montreal has 4 million people and when MLB expands, if someone will build a stadium, the National League is probably coming back.

Indianapolis has 2.3 million people, the NFL, NBA, and Cincinnati 100 miles away.

San Antonio and Austin are 80 miles apart. SA has 2.4 million and Austin has 2.2 million. Austin is also a wealthier city than San Antonio. If MLB went there, it'd probably be Austin but the markets would both be exploited by a perspective team. 

New Orleans has 1.3 million and has no business having the NFL and the NBA right now. Definitely can't afford the MLB.

Charlotte is 2.5 million and a front runner with Portland and Montreal. But Charlotte already has the NFL and NBA taking a great amount of the money out of the market for a potential MLB team. Raleigh is slightly smaller than Charlotte but only has the NHL. It also has three major ACC programs in the metro area.

Sacramento has 2.4 million, only an NBA franchise, but two MLB teams 80 miles away. It's almost like the Milwaukee Brewers. Milwaukee would never get an MLB team today being so small (2 million) and close to Chicago.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Nashville. That's the hot city on the tip of everyone's tongue. Nashville has 2 million and the same issue as Charlotte, Las Vegas, and incredibly, New Orleans; two big league sports franchises already sucking the oxygen out of a potential MLB franchise's atmosphere.

Chicago is an attractive market for both a National League and American League franchise and can afford to sellout both stadiums all 162 games. That's why the question of whether the Sox would leave Chicago is a non-starter. If a younger owner came in and bought the Sox, they could easily find one of the suburbs to allow them to Cobb County a new stadium and let them develop the real estate around the new park. We know the city and the state won't pay for a new park, but Chicago is attractive enough as a market that Reinsdorf taking the fanbase for granted can be overcome with actual hope and not optimism tempered by mistrust. 

I'm guessing you're referring to the Atlanta Braves here....

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Before you say they aren’t moving, imagine another 10 years of this first. Their stadium deal has a decade left on it and no one would ever break that sweetheart lease.

this is already not the fan base of 2005, they have spent 6 years as the worst team in baseball and missed the playoffs 10 straight. 

Double that. Is there a fan base left to buy tickets for a winner? I don’t believe so.

then, throw in the state refusing to offer another sweetheart deal for a stadium and another city offering one.

Rick and Jerry have paved this team a clear path out of town and right now there are few detours, and only Rick has the directions.

I agree with all of this. I never thought Sox would move but ... everything you wrote seems right on, spot on.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Before you say they aren’t moving, imagine another 10 years of this first. Their stadium deal has a decade left on it and no one would ever break that sweetheart lease.

this is already not the fan base of 2005, they have spent 6 years as the worst team in baseball and missed the playoffs 10 straight. 

Double that. Is there a fan base left to buy tickets for a winner? I don’t believe so.

then, throw in the state refusing to offer another sweetheart deal for a stadium and another city offering one.

Rick and Jerry have paved this team a clear path out of town and right now there are few detours, and only Rick has the directions.

Well said, Balta. You've nailed it yet again. 

I'm half between anger and being bummed(I wouldn't call it depressed) because I see the writing on the wall for a 5-10 year death march out of town. 

The only rational reasoning for their behavior over the last decade is that they're actively trying to alienate the fanbase to the point that nobody sheds a tear when they load up the moving trucks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

With the economic climate shifting to such priority areas as the environment, health care, infrastructure and education...I'd have a hard time imagining that public financing is realistically going to be part of any municipal plans in the future.

Look what happened to Amazon HQ2.

Imagine trying to get through public funding for a sports facility in today's climate, let alone a decade from now.

Is anyone familiar enough with Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, Las Vegas or the San Antonio/Austin area to provide a gauge of how such a projected would be greeted by local voters/legislators in terms of possible MLB expansion?

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

With the economic climate shifting to such priority areas as the environment, health care, infrastructure and education...I'd have a hard time imagining that public financing is realistically going to be part of any municipal plans in the future.

Look what happened to Amazon HQ2.

Imagine trying to get through public funding for a sports facility in today's climate, let alone a decade from now.

Is anyone familiar enough with Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, Las Vegas or the San Antonio/Austin area to provide a gauge of how such a projected would be greeted by local voters/legislators in terms of possible MLB expansion?

Yeah it's going to be a HUGE problem. Any new stadium anywhere will need to be privately financed, as it should have always been from the beginning.

I think you're going to see a slew of sports franchises relocate over the next couple decades.  

Edited by Jack Parkman