Hahn on 670 Tonight

Sockin

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He was the fastest rising prospect in the country and 1-1 on many boards. Lock is a stretch by me, but he was a near consensus pick by sharper organizations come draft day. Bregman was the 2nd pick in the draft. Bregman was far from a star as a rookie too. 

White Sox have had some bad luck in drafts combined with being bad at drafting and you run into some shit. White Sox were going to take Buster Posey, but he went the pick before them. Sox get the 7th pick and stuck with Fulmer when Tucker, Rodgers, Bregman and Dansby were drafted in 4 of the 6 spots in front of them... and frankly, beside Walker Buehler (who wasn't picked until late 1st) there's no one you're kicking yourself for missing out on... unless you're an ian happ fan.

Yes, sharper organizations like the astros. That draft didn’t have a clear cut one and they cut a deal with Correa. CBA was good for that then. Only time we had that possibility we drafted Rodon and paid overslot. 2nd round we went danish.

You seem to hold the astros to an incredibly higher standard than the white Sox. 

2015 was a draft they had 1 pick in first four rounds it was weak. 2016 they had 3 picks in top 100.

They drafted Collins based on a high valuation on his bat that had no hit tool so far. Alex Kiriloff and Forrest Whitley we’re drafted behind him.

They drafted a reliever in their sandwich pick instead of going after a high schooler in a perfect position.

could have had Taylor trammel or carter kieboom, they have a TJS reliever.

Alec Hansen went in the second round. His warning flags have shown up.

They had Bo Bichette and Pete Alonso behind them.

I don’t expect them to nail every pick. But making the right pick once is a big deal. They either are making the wrong picks or not developing them, likely both.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Special K said:

You’re right. So why ever try then for big FA. No use. Plus owners continue to rake in the cash by saving

Yep. The White Sox just signed a mega tv deal with CSN Chicago too. Let's see, they have a low payroll, mega tv deal, a bunch of cheap pre-arb players (soon-to-be call ups)  on the roster and they just "Cant' offer $300 million on a 26 year old superstar. Screw off!

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

When your favorite team's last FA signing was Albert Belle, why let yourself get worked up? 

Because they told us that they were all in on him from day 1 of the offseason. They even traded for the dudes brother n law and signed one of his BFF's. And all but admitted that they 'wouldn't have any financial restraints' this offseason. And that they 'will have a seat at the table'. 

Little did we know they resorted back to old white sox ways and tried to get MM at a bargain price and set an unnecessary arbitrary line in the sand by stating they suddenly wouldn't go to $300 million.  They essentially lied to us. 

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Even if I give them credit for those guys, as generous as I can be, the best starting pitcher they have developed since 2012 is a pitcher that they spent a #3 overall draft pick to get who has put up 5.7 fWAR in 4 seasons total. They MUST do better than this. It's not like they haven't drafted pitchers in 6 years, it's not like they haven't put assets into that position, they just haven't done anything.

What kopech? Does the fact that he has pitched 75% of his career with the Sox organization disqualify him? He looked pretty good.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada's going to break out in 2019, Eloy is going to come up and rake, Rodon is going to pitch like at least a #2, Lopez is going to put up 3+WAR and Giolito isn't going to suck anymore. These are all things I believe about the 2019 Sox. I'm pretty bullish on their talent. I never really bought the Machado/Harper stuff. I was starting to believe though 4 weeks ago. There are plenty of things to be positive about, despite Machado/Harper not coming here. I don't think you'd ever hear BWC talk that positively about the Hawks. LOL. 

This is what I posted before I found out HOW they fucked up the Machado situation. I always said I wanted to: A) find out what the contract Machado signed was and B) what the Sox offer was. 

Fail and Fail. 

They fucked this up so badly I no longer trust them on ANYTHING. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on player evals before this. If they cannot come to the conclusion that a 26 year old Machado is worth $300M they don't deserve any slack on anything. 

I now think nobody acquired will amount to much. I trust nothing, but I'll watch it play out. Should they get a player or two again I'll chalk it up to blind squirrel/nut. I'm now convinced they'll find a way to make a bust out of even the most bust-proof prospects. 

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wasn't pessimistic about the players in the rebuild until I figured out HOW they fucked up the Manny signing. The incompetence and buffoonery was staggering. I will go find what I posted before this all came to light. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

Because they told us that they were all in on him from day 1 of the offseason. They even traded for the dudes brother n law and signed one of his BFF's. And all but admitted that they 'wouldn't have any financial restraints' this offseason. And that they 'will have a seat at the table'. 

Little did we know they resorted back to old white sox ways and tried to get MM at a bargain price and set an unnecessary arbitrary line in the sand by stating they suddenly wouldn't go to $300 million.  They essentially lied to us. 

I’m not buying the 300 limit...to me it’s a convenient excuse instead of saying they thought Lozano was bluffing that they had 300 on the table.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's a very difficult job.  Maaaaaaaaaaybe lighten up a little......

What are you rambling about? Someone wants to cite Law as some authority in scouting when nothing he produces - and none of the hills hes willing to die on have proven to be correct. 

The only reason someone would cite him is to be even more pessimistic than before.

You're the one who seems to feel some responsibility of defending Keith on a message board. Maybe relax?

3 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

That's kind of your fault for buying it. This whole saga is just your poor man's ARod, which is exactly who Machado is. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is what I posted before I found out HOW they fucked up the Machado situation. I always said I wanted to: A) find out what the contract Machado signed was and B) what the Sox offer was. 

Fail and Fail. 

They fucked this up so badly I no longer trust them on ANYTHING. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on player evals before this. If they cannot come to the conclusion that a 26 year old Machado is worth $300M they don't deserve any slack on anything. 

I now think nobody acquired will amount to much. I trust nothing, but I'll watch it play out. Should they get a player or two again I'll chalk it up to blind squirrel/nut. I'm now convinced they'll find a way to make a bust out of even the most bust-proof players. 

Your opinion changes every 6 minutes though. You're consistent in that it will be polarizing though. I'll give you that. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What are you rambling about? Someone wants to cite Law as some authority in scouting when nothing he produces - and none of the hills hes willing to die on have proven to be correct. 

The only reason someone would cite him is to be even more pessimistic than before.

You're the one who seems to feel some responsibility of defending Keith on a message board. Maybe relax?

Good talk Russ

2 hours ago, Sockin said:

"We will spend the money." You are not going to be able to outbid the goddamn Yankees and Cubs and Dodgers. THIS offseason was the goddamn offseaon to do it you asshole.

I disagree.

The Yankees have $197 million in payroll and had the chance to bid on Harper and Machado. Given their financial commitments with Stanton, Tanaka, etc., they were a non-factor and likely will be so for the foreseeable future. Unless they let Judge or their other young talent walk when his time comes.

The Cubs have $209 million in payroll are going to have to start paying the Bryants, Baezs, etc. in a year or two. That was why they took a pass on Harper and Machado. Add in the bad contracts of Hayward and Darvish and the large commitment to Lester and Rizzo, the Cubs will be out of premium free agents for the foreseeable future.

The Dodgers have $209 million in payroll and already have the highest payroll in baseball. Who exactly are they going to be bidding on?

The Angels have $167 million in payroll and are heavily invested in Trout for 2 more years and Pujols for 3 more years.

These teams will not just be able to throw $300 million around to whoever they want to whenever they want to.

My only concern is that the White Sox picked their moment to lay in the weed and get Abreu and Robert when they could outbid the teams you noted when they already had made their moves for other international players. This was a perfect opportunity to do the same, and they missed it.

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Your opinion changes every 6 minutes though. You're consistent in that it will be polarizing though. I'll give you that. 

Not really. I used to really like Moncada and Giolito and was pretty consistent about it. I used to not really like Lopez as much, but his August and September won me over. Now I don't really like anyone, not because of their talent but because of the organization they play for . 

Edited by Jack Parkman

54 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So Luhnow didn't use any of the players drafted prior to his arrival? That's weird... Altuve was drafted by someone else. Keuchel - drafted by someone else. George Springer? You guessed it, drafted by someone else. He hit on Bregman and Correa - Correa was 1-1 and a lock pick at that spot. Colin Mchugh? Drafted by another GM. Marwin Gonzalez? Same, drafted before Luhnow.

So if you want to give Luhnow credit for the success of the prior GM, go right ahead. Has he made sharp moves? Sure. The Cole, Verlander and etc stuff all came after the Astros started to turn the corner and win games though. He didn't lock anyone up before the success had shown itself.

Kyle Tucker also comes to mind....who did the White Sox get out of that draft?

21 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

I love the 'we still plan on spending the $' mention from Hahn. Sure.... you'll spend it on a bunch of mediocre joes like Todd Frazier and Melky Cabrera. The guy who ironically made the 'mired in mediocrity' quote as the guy who makes mediocre offers to generational talent. No chance in hell Harper, Arenado, MadBum or any other superstar would consider coming here when they will simply get low-balled by JR and his thrifty puppets known as Kenny "I'll never be fired" Williams and Rick "I say fancy bullcrap" Hahn. But hey, remember Sox fans, we should be proud of the effort they made to land these superstars. Since JR bought the team, the White Sox have made the playoffs 5 times. 5 times in 38 seasons! They haven't made the post season since 2008. Since that time 26 other teams made the playoffs at least once AND many of those teams have fired their GM's due to a lack of success. Meanwhile RH and KW keep strumming along and JR's commitment to winning remains questionable. Why do we cheer for this team? All they will do is let us down, over and over and over and over. 

“We” cheer because we’ve been die-hard Sox fans our entire lives, some even before Reinsdorf swooped in 1981 and began his 38 year reign of incompetence.  That tenure will be coming to an end at some point in the future, probably sooner rather than later.  

At that point, “they”, who have let us down “over and over and over and over”, will once and for all kicked to the curb and replaced with the freshness of new ownership and management.  And not a moment too soon.  No organization or fan base is in more dire need of this kind of sweeping change than ours.     

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wrong - Astros lost 88, 86, 106, 107, 111, and 92 games before they won 86 (LOL at took 3 years)

Wrong - Cubs lost 87, 91, 101, 96 and 89 before they won 97 games (LOL at 3 years)

I'm not even going to address the absurdity that is the Brewers comment:

Everything you posted is factually wrong.

Great post.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Kyle Tucker also comes to mind....who did the White Sox get out of that draft?

I listed this. Was simply bad luck. 4 of the 6 picked ahead of the Sox are damn good. No one picked after fulmer not named buehler is any good and buehler was late first round and wasnt considered to be a top 10 talent.