82 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for Hahn since the rebuild began

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I went with a B. He's done a great job of collecting the top prospects and depth. Grade may be different in a couple of years depending on how guys develop and who else he brings in.

Wasn’t it a given that trading Sale, Quintana, and Eaton would yield top prospects?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes. I just don't know how to grade it fairly. If you're going to exclude that, why are you even grading him on 2 years into a rebuild anyway?

I’m not excluding his trades. Just responding to what you said. Outside of Eloy/Cease, not sure his trades have been stellar.  But as you said, still a long ways to go.

Yeah I gave it a D .

Anyone could have traded three premium talents on bargain deals. However, to his credit he got Cease and Jimenez from the Cubs who are among the best prospects in the game now.

However none of the B-tier prospects he acquired by trading Duke, Soria et al. have shown anything at all. Mostly because they went for older prospects without much upside.

FA signings have been atrocious, intl. FA has been pretty bad, he put all of his eggs in the Robert basket. Let's see how that turns out.

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

Wasn’t it a given that trading Sale, Quintana, and Eaton would yield top prospects?

Frankly, he did a good job in holding guys and blinking when necessary. He could have held Quintana longer and watched his value drop. He could have held Eaton and watched him get hurt in week 1. He could have moved Quintana earlier and gotten less than the return that was brought in. I do not believe he could have gotten more value, on paper, out of any of those deals. 

You want to fault him on the choices of players coming back and how poorly they may have scouted some of them, that's a different matter now.

Prior to this week I'd have gone to a C, because they have talent, but half of it got hurt last year and everyone else who didn't come from the Cubs seemed to have worrisome years. That's recoverable but trending downwards rapidly from a year before. Had he signed one of the guys they should have signed with the payroll space they created that would have bumped them back up to a B. As of right now, they're a D - prospects are struggling and injured, opportunity to spend FA funds is blown, all they have left is that their prospects are talented and could rebound. 

• Like 1

Negative infinity is not an available answer.

Actually, it's JR that should be getting the grade here, as there's no way to separate things out fairly between him, Kenny Williams and Hahn.

But, as everyone has been writing today...it's almost impossible to come up with POSITIVE traits or characteristics that this front office is in the "top tier" of MLB at performing.

We might have said "drafting and developing relief pitchers," but that's even in doubt after the last couple of seasons and how they went out and poured a lot of wasted money into two veteran relievers who will have nothing to do with our rebuild and will probably accumulate 1.2 fWAR between the pair.

26 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I liked him until yesterday. I'll give him a D. The Quintana trade was a big win. Can't say too many other good things though.

Same. Id have given him a B yesterday. I am down to a D today. Will probably be a C in a few weeks, but missing on a Machado was a big black eye. 

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

And people say Rick isn’t on soxtalk

Maybe it was his son?

If it wasn't for that coin-flip in 2008...and had we lost for the umpteenth time since 2001 to the Twins, I can't even imagine the Voldemort/Grindelwald Dark Cloud that would be descending over SoxTalk.

Heck, instead of the old WSI "dark cloud" insult if you were a bit pessimistic about this organization, we'll have a unique phenomenon where the 5-10% left who are still positive stand out like VENOM in the comic books.  Stockholm Syndrome, of a sort.

At any rate, I give those few remaining posters who are trying to see the silver lining here credit, but most of us just don't have the capacity to apologize for the embarrassment that is this ownership group and front office any longer.

This was the final straw...sure, we might tune into some games, but it's not going to be the passion and excitement that was there a couple of years ago when the Sale and Eaton trades went down and it looked like we were well on our way to building a mini-dynasty in the AL Central.

Edited by caulfield12

C'mon, man. He did great work rebuilding the farm system. He did great work getting Abreu and Robert. The drafts for the last 3 years have all been solid. The signings before 2015 looked good on paper even though they did not pan out as hoped. I agree that yesterday was a big black eye for him, but he should not be graded out overall as a D or an F. He clearly does not deserve an A either. Depending on your viewpoint, B or C is about right.

2 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

Any Tom, Dick or Harry could have traded those guys for a decent haul. I will give him credit for the Quintana deal because I was shocked they landed Eloy for him. 

I give him a C, but in reality it is a C-

Grabbing Luzardo or Soto instead of Giolito in the Eaton deal would have been a good start, even though I still like Giolito. Maybe LG was just too messed up. 

The Sale deal was light and I will complain about that forever. Devers, Moncada and Kopech would have been an actual fair deal.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

C'mon, man. He did great work rebuilding the farm system. He did great work getting Abreu and Robert. The drafts for the last 3 years have all been solid. The signings before 2015 looked good on paper even though they did not pan out as hoped. I agree that yesterday was a big black eye for him, but he should not be graded out overall as a D or an F. He clearly does not deserve an A either. Depending on your viewpoint, B or C is about right.

He has not had solid drafts. Nobody from the drafts two years ago is in any top 130 I saw. Just madrigal, whom I am very high on but was just a #4 pick and hasn’t truly played anything.

They have continued to under invest in international free agency, did not find any great finds in waiver pickups like other rebuild such as Milwaukee and philly did, and have spent an extraordinary amount of resources on college and minor league relievers that have underwhelmed in debuts.

Aside from trades, it has been at best average. When they are rebuilding that isn’t going to cut it.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

He has not had solid drafts. Nobody from the drafts two years ago is in any top 130 I saw. Just madrigal, whom I am very high on but was just a #4 pick and hasn’t truly played anything.

They have continued to under invest in international free agency, did not find any great finds in waiver pickups like other rebuild such as Milwaukee and philly did, and have spent an extraordinary amount of resources on college and minor league relievers that have underwhelmed in debuts.

Aside from trades, it has been at best average. When they are rebuilding that isn’t going to cut it.

This This This This THIS!!!!!

The only decent players they have in the minors were those acquired by trade. Their drafts have been borderline disastrous. 

Gave him an F. Probably deserves a D, but I'm pretty pissed about this week. I still can't get past the Alonso and Jay deals. It just blows my mind they were brought in and the entire thing blew up in their faces. Drafts and international signings need to improve big time. Parkman hit it on the head, all the core pieces came from outside the organization. This is a very important season for the rebuild. Need some future stars to start emerging instead of complementary players.

5 hours ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

You should give it to KW and Marco Paddy, they're the ones who did all the heavy lifting/scouting...

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Gave him an F. Probably deserves a D, but I'm pretty pissed about this week. I still can't get past the Alonso and Jay deals. It just blows my mind they were brought in and the entire thing blew up in their faces. Drafts and international signings need to improve big time. Parkman hit it on the head, all the core pieces came from outside the organization. This is a very important season for the rebuild. Need some future stars to start emerging instead of complementary players.

Other than Madrigal, Rodon and Anderson...this entire team's pretty much externally created.  I guess you can count Luis Robert and Jose Abreu if you want to be particularly charitable, and that's pretty much about it (and Jose and Carlos are unlikely to even be around for the next playoff team, unless they sign Abreu to a 4-5 year extension).

Fulmer, Hansen, Burdi, Collins, Burger...each looking more and more like "suspects" than true prospects.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Other than Madrigal, Rodon and Anderson...this entire team's pretty much externally created.  I guess you can count Luis Robert and Jose Abreu if you want to be particularly charitable, and that's pretty much about it (and Jose and Carlos are unlikely to even be around for the next playoff team, unless they sign Abreu to a 4-5 year extension).

Fulmer, Hansen, Burdi, Collins, Burger...each looking more and more like "suspects" than true prospects.

Completely forgot about Anderson. He would be the lone bright spot the development staff could take credit for, but even then he is far from a perfect player (love the guy, but he has his warts at times). I don't know if I could count Rodon just because of how quickly he was pushed into the majors. If Eloy falters... ugh, I can't even finish typing that out - it can't and won't happen.