Worst off-season ever?!?

YonderLaroche

Matt Davidson - Yonder Alonzo (Manny's bro)

Avisail Garcia - Jon Jay (Manny's buddy!)

James Shields - Ivan Nova

Omar Narvaez/Kevan Smyth - James McCann

Alex Colome only decent new addition , all other tradeoffs make Sox worse or the same... Eloy is the only bright spot of 2019.  We look very foolish trading call and spending 13 million on Machado brother in law and buddy, maybe Padres will trade Tatis for them 😂😂😂

Edited by bryank1202
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bryank1202 said:

Alex Colome only decent signing , all other tradeoffs make Sox worse or the same... Eloy is the only bright spot of 2019.  We look very foolish trading call and spending 13 million on Machado brother in law and buddy, maybe Padres will trade Tatis for them 😂😂😂

Colome was not a signing, they traded away Narvaez for him. 

• Thanks 1

If it isn’t the worst, it’s definitely ranked up there.  And here’s why...

You don’t get Machado but are left with two good but pricey relievers and a bunch of mediocrity for $40+ million dollars.

Ivan Nova - $9 million
Yonder Alonso - $9 million
Kelvin Herrera - $9 million
Alex Colome - $7.325 million
Jon Jay - $4 million
James McCann - $2.5 million

Edited by Harper2Sox

Maybe not...the one that brought in the amazing Jeff Keppinger as the headliner after we were leading the AL Central for 80% of the season wasn't that great.

Of course, nobody was emotionally involved in that particular acquisition, except his parents and Joe Maddon (the proud papa of one of about 10 super-utility guys the Rays developed over the last 15 years).

So far it's our worst offseason ever because the only useful pieces added to a very very bad baseball team are pitchers like Nova and Herrera and some of those bullpen guys. Adding McCann, Alonso and Jay makes me very sad, if not mad. These are guys you just don't need to see play for your favorite team.

Let’s wait and see what happens over the next month.  If it ends up with nothing more taking place, it will easily be the worst because they literally accomplished exactly the opposite of what they said they wanted to.  As I said yesterday, would much rather see Avi than Alonso.

Just now, greg775 said:

So far it's our worst offseason ever because the only useful pieces added to a very very bad baseball team are pitchers like Nova and Herrera and some of those bullpen guys. Adding McCann, Alonso and Jay makes me very sad, if not mad. These are guys you just don't need to see play for your favorite team.

And every acquisition looks like an overpay compared to what the market ended up being.

I feel like the accomplishments of this offseason would be a fireable offense on a team with competent ownership (Alonso and Jay alone should be). Instead, Jerry may well be pleased with how things shook out for his wallet, even if they could have spent less holding on to what they had (it would be bad optics, albeit preferable IMO to how things ended up, for them to stand pat entirely). 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

51 minutes ago, fathom said:

Let’s wait and see what happens over the next month.  If it ends up with nothing more taking place, it will easily be the worst because they literally accomplished exactly the opposite of what they said they wanted to.  As I said yesterday, would much rather see Avi than Alonso.

Yep, if nothing else happens, it will likely be one of the worst.  How many times did Hahn say he wouldn’t be signing stop-gaps and only be adding players that can expedite the rebuild on a long-term basis?  He signed all the stop-gap guys and missed out on his single long-term target.  Oops.  How can anyone trust a word Hahn says anymore?

Ivan Nova - $9 million (1 year)
Yonder Alonso - $9 million (hopefully only 1 year)
Kelvin Herrera - $9 million (likely 2 years)
Alex Colome - $7.325 million (likely 2 years)
Jon Jay - $4 million (1 year)
James McCann - $2.5 million (1 year)

Manny Machado - WHIFF!

Edited by Harper2Sox

34 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

100 percent people are acting like this is the end of days for the White Sox. There will be other free agents. We weren't ready to contend anyways.

Please name a realistic target that will be better than two 26 year old future Hall of Famers with minimal competition for their services.  I will wait patiently for your response.  This was the best offseason to spend big on a free agent.

Edited by Harper2Sox

I don't know if it's the worst, but it's pretty bad.  I think the team is worse off, although hopefully improvement in your players will mitigate it in the final record.  In particular, I think giving up on a young catcher, who could actually hit,  after 2 years may turn out to be a mistake.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

If it isn’t the worst, it’s definitely ranked up there.  And here’s why...

You don’t get Machado but are left with two good but pricey relievers and a bunch of mediocrity for $40+ million dollars.

Ivan Nova - $9 million
Yonder Alonso - $9 million
Kelvin Herrera - $9 million
Alex Colome - $7.325 million
Jon Jay - $4 million
James McCann - $2.5 million

The relievers were always sign and trade for spects at deadline moves. That was obvious the moment those moves happened. Even if Machado signed yesterday, this team still doesn't compete for the playoff for at least another year.