Worst off-season ever?!?

YonderLaroche

11 hours ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!    Based on the way this off-season has gone, it’s only fitting it’s the 100yr Anniversary of the infamous BLACK SOX

Haha. The season couldn't be getting going on a worse way. At least we can still debate the merits of whether Joe Jackson actually tanked or if Buck Weaver should have been reinstated. And there is even debate if Charlie Comiskey was "as cheap" as they say. I don't believe that debate, because had CC decided to spend money on players in the future, he could have turned the sox into what the Yankees became, because NYY DID spend money, buy players from other teams. The 1919 Sox could have been a dynasty and a foundation for a legacy of success. It was right in front of Comiskey and he failed to see it, then the Yankees used the model to glorious success.

Edited by kwolf68

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The worst part of this offseason (other than losing out on Machado & Harper) is Hahn actually had the nerve to say this was a good offseason.

I understand he’s going to spin everything, but my god; the only thing good about this offseason is that he didn’t throw any long term committments (2+ years) to scrub players to burn through the payroll

• Like 2

The media tour after losing out is really where my anger stems from, they sounded/are so damn shellshocked that he didn't take their offer as if it was easily the best. Defending the contract non stop and then saying nonsensical things like "well the only thing that can be pointed out is maybe we should have thrown more money in". Just completely delusional and/or they think we're the dumbest fanbase in sports.

3 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I understand he’s going to spin everything, but my god; the only thing good about this offseason is that he didn’t throw any long term committments (2+ years) to scrub players to burn through the payroll

It’s amazing we are still at the point that we were in 2015 needing to spend 4 mill here and 5 mill here to get 0 WAR players to cover for the negative WAR players we are still only. Able to produce internally.

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

The media tour after losing out is really where my anger stems from, they sounded/are so damn shellshocked that he didn't take their offer as if it was easily the best. Defending the contract non stop and then saying nonsensical things like "well the only thing that can be pointed out is maybe we should have thrown more money in". Just completely delusional and/or they think we're the dumbest fanbase in sports.

and to add 1 more to this, they have their media minions putting out fluff pieces on how Machado wasn't necessary and Sox had technically the most money on the table and blah blah blah. Just Pathetic 

For me, no it's definitely not the worst off season ever. The worst in recent memory would be the 2014/15 off season when the Sox paraded Samardzija, Cabrera and Robertson at Sox fest and being proclaimed the off season winners. Then went out and finished 10 games below .500. 

Here’s my honest assessment of each major move Hahn has made this offseason ranked from best to worst:

1. Banuelos / B / The only true rebuilding move made this offseason; added a guy who is out of options but who our scouts identified as someone with upside; probably ends up being nothing but we have innings to give and he’s a better use of them than a lot of other guys
  2. Herrera / B / Like the idea of adding a back-end arm to a flippable contract; he probably gets more if not for his foot injury and we can afford to roll the dice on him given 2019 is a lost season
  3. Colome / B- / Similar to above, I like adding a back-end arm that can be flipped; this one I downgrade slightly because we could have signed someone similar for a little bit more money and traded Omar for something else
  4. Nova / C / An unexciting addition that adds some stability but very little upside; seems like Hahn misread the market and could have gotten a similar starter (with more risk but also more upside) for a little bit less in free agency
  5. Santana / C / In isolation it’s a perfectly fine move to add some pitching depth; I do have concerns they’ll just hand him the 5th starters job regardless of he looks in spring but I can’t preemptively downgrade the score for that
  6. Jay / C- / I’d give this a C+ if Manny would have signed, but without him it makes far less sense; given how bad our OF is he can still have a role and be a veteran influence
  7. Alonso / D / Don’t actually hate the player and think he has the ability to rebound to some extent, but he is way overpaid and we helped out a division rival to get him; without Manny the move looks plain stupid
  8. McCann / F / I literally hate this move with a passion as the player is is pure garbage; also the organization continues to show it does not value framing the least bit which is unfortunate with the pitching we’re trying to develop

Overall it’s a pretty disappointing set of moves and all but the top three offer little to no long-term benefit.  Obviously some of these were tied to Machado, but that doesn’t change the fact that a rebuilding team will be wasting money and playing time on a bunch of low upside guys on short-term deals.  Hahn gets a big fat F for the overall offseason.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I like your grades except I would swap the ones for Alonso and McCann.  McCann is bad but he’s only $2.5 million of bad.  Alonso is $9 million of mediocrity and Hahn helped free up money for a division rival.  Also, Hahn’s family and friends plan wasn’t even necessary as Machado went to the highest bidder, as all free agents will.

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

I like your grades except I would swap the ones for Alonso and McCann.  McCann is bad but he’s only $2.5 million of bad.  Alonso is $9 million of mediocrity and Hahn helped free up money for a division rival.

I went back and forth on that, but ultimately I think Alonso is a potentially useful player who is grossly overpaid whereas McCann is just bad.  That being said, I should have probably given the Alsono move an F as well purely based on the logistics behind it.

• 4 weeks later...

During the ESPN broadcast from Japan tonight the announcers were really focusing on Omar spending so much time working specifically on pitch framing.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/feb/17/ms-new-backstop-narvaez-playing-catch-up-with-new-/

“Narvaez also is concentrating on developing his pitch-framing skills. He ranked near the bottom of the AL in getting borderline pitches called for strikes in each of the last two seasons, according to the metrics used by StatCorner. 

“A lot of drills,” said Narvaez, who counts Yadier Molina as a role model. “A lot of stretching. That is a big part of framing, being able to feel comfortable when I am catching. I think all the work I’ve been putting in is going to show up. My main goal this year is to make more pitches strikes and help my pitchers even more.” 

Like many teams, the Mariners have made pitch framing a top priority. 

“The value of stealing a 3-2 pitch is huge in our game,” Servais said. “On the 50-50 pitch that may be a ball or a strike, if the catchers are adept in turning that ball into a strike, it changes the course of a game. Pitchers certainly see the value of it. We do, too. It is something we will spend a lot of time on this spring.”

• Thanks 1