Spring Training Thread

ron883

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Something I've never understood is why they dont put their minor league prospects and players on the same shoulder program that they put their big leaguers on. That training program was literally revolutionary in the game - its something you hear about at the college level and pro level. Whatever Schneider came up with is a program that sale took with him to Boston - as did other former white Sox arms. Hansen should have been on that program last year already  

That's really good news though.

To add on to that, pitchers make that mistake all the time. They think shedding weight and being more athletic will improve them but there's really nothing that shows that to he the case. Given how intricate pitching mechanics can be, completely altering your body type is going to force you to almost relearn everything again. Glad to see he gained the 40 pounds back.

As we used to say to our teammates "dude, you're a pitcher not an athlete."

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Something I've never understood is why they dont put their minor league prospects and players on the same shoulder program that they put their big leaguers on. That training program was literally revolutionary in the game - its something you hear about at the college level and pro level. Whatever Schneider came up with is a program that sale took with him to Boston - as did other former white Sox arms. Hansen should have been on that program last year already  

Pretty sure they do. In fact I know they do, I've had pitching prospects tell me that. I think what the article meant is that they adjusted Alec's program specifically.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Pretty sure they do. In fact I know they do, I've had pitching prospects tell me that. I think what the article meant is that they adjusted Alec's program specifically.

Ok, the way that was worded made it sound like he was never on it prior to this year which would just be baffling. It's one of the only advantages the organization has over others. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ok, the way that was worded made it sound like he was never on it prior to this year which would just be baffling. It's one of the only advantages the organization has over others. 

Yeah I'd say the author wasn't all that knowledgeable on these things, and the wording didn't capture the reality. That's my guess anyway. I can say 100% that at least some of them are on the standard shoulder program, and I have a hard time believing they would leave Hansen out of it.

It should be pointed out, a 5th starter isn’t really needed until April 10 but maybe the first time is the ninth scheduled game on April 8. Not sure if Santana is going to need that much time, but they can push it back and screw with the bullpen until then. Banuelos will make the team in some form.

Edited by flavum

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There is some component of habits and comfort zone. Why don't the teams change everyone's mechanics to be the same? Many times if a pitcher is comfortable with something the teams won't change it, unless it is drastically out of the norm. His program may have been fine but now that he has had some struggles they are tweaking it a bit. They really don't put everyone on the exact same thing as their shoulders/elbows are different. it will have the same concepts but the exact exercises will vary.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25893836/inside-37-year-old-pitcher-luke-hagerty-improbable-comeback-story

You can already practically guarantee this story ends up with Hagerty being played by Dennis Quaid again in THE ROOKIE 2:  CUBS BOOGALOO

Pretty amazing the guy comes back 13 years later after being drafted, at age 37, 12 years since his last pitch in competitive baseball, and is throwing mid to high 90's.  I guess Matt Bush is the closest we've had to this story, Josh Hamilton, obviously.

Edited by caulfield12

On 3/11/2019 at 8:15 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like Burdi is completely heathy, still unsure where his stuff is at though.  Hansen has been a ghost as of late.  He had some sort of arm or shoulder soreness earlier in camp, but haven’t heard a lick since.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-talk-podcast-white-sox-prospect-alec-hansen-opens-about-his-lost-season    

No longer a ghost. Good stuff from Chuck

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kinda hard to believe the season starts for real in a few weeks.  I almost felt like the season was cancelled after the Manny news but I guess they have to play 162 games anyways.  How many any of us will watch however...

I don't think I've ever been less excited for baseball. I'll watch because I care about Moncada, TA, and a few others, but I wouldn't be surprised if ratings are even worse than last year 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think I've ever been less excited for baseball. I'll watch because I care about Moncada, TA, and a few others, but I wouldn't be surprised if ratings are even worse than last year 

After manny disappointment I had a dead cat bounce for the first few games of spring training but apathy has definitely washed over especially when I read James Fegan's 25 man preview and realized again what this year will be (eloy will come, yeah I know).

If Eloy (forbid) gets injured, this team would be a 55 win team in any other division.