Spring Training Thread

ron883

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

After manny disappointment I had a dead cat bounce for the first few games of spring training but apathy has definitely washed over especially when I read James Fegan's 25 man preview and realized again what this year will be (eloy will come, yeah I know).

If Eloy (forbid) gets injured, this team would be a 55 win team in any other division.

I haven't even gotten the bounce.  I'll probably get it opening day tho.  I feel badly for Fegan.  I know he's getting paid but man, what a depressing team to cover outside Eloy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I haven't even gotten the bounce.  I'll probably get it opening day tho.  I feel badly for Fegan.  I know he's getting paid but man, what a depressing team to cover outside Eloy.

Same. I haven't watched a single Spring Training highlight yet. That goes for any team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think I've ever been less excited for baseball. I'll watch because I care about Moncada, TA, and a few others, but I wouldn't be surprised if ratings are even worse than last year 

Same here. When I'm home during the week after work and I'm not outside or with friends, it'll likely be background noise on my TV when I'm bored.

It is hard to imagine any in-season prominence for this group. We are not on Fantasy Island. I was not certain about a big name FA but everything else seems to point arrow down. I am ok with Alonso and hope he can help. We need oh-fence to stave off mass embarrassment. 

On 2/25/2019 at 10:27 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Although he has trimmed down for the OF,  guys who build up with vitamins tend to have hamstring issues. He was somewhat trim looking a few years ago and now he will miss half of the spring games I expect. Sox have had a number of minor injuries that seem to drag on. 

17 minutes ago, pcq said:

Although he has trimmed down for the OF,  guys who build up with vitamins tend to have hamstring issues. He was somewhat trim looking a few years ago and now he will miss half of the spring games I expect. Sox have had a number of minor injuries that seem to drag on. 

When he was with the Twins...?

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I love Yolmer.

How many tickets do his antics sell?  At least they're more entertaining than Melky's theatrics, I guess.

In other news, Machado has just a 631 spring OPS but the Padres are simply destroying their opponents.

Edited by caulfield12

On 3/12/2019 at 4:56 PM, flavum said:

It should be pointed out, a 5th starter isn’t really needed until April 10 but maybe the first time is the ninth scheduled game on April 8. Not sure if Santana is going to need that much time, but they can push it back and screw with the bullpen until then. Banuelos will make the team in some form.

Hahn did mention the April 10th fifth starter option yesterday, and said Santana is progressing and will start an A game soon. So he’ll probably be ready in 25-27 days, and Banuelos will likely be  in the pen to start out.