Spring Training Thread

ron883

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which still has nothing to do with dismantling an active playoff team.  Think of it this way.  The Sox missed out on the top free agent because they were cheap after a 100 loss season.  The Indians are actively shopping their best players because they are cheap after a 91 win season.

The Indians are managing their roster with the payroll they have to work with.  I have no doubt they will still be competitive in the division and I’m pretty sure their payroll is still much higher than the Sox.  The Sox had much more money to spend than the Indians and didn’t.

Also, if we were in the Indians shoes and the White Sox wanted to take Alonso and his $9 million off our hands for a fringe prospect, we would have all jumped for joy.  He is a mediocre player and not worth $9 million dollars.

Finally, if Lindor was a White Sox, doesn’t anyone actually think the Sox would be able to extend him either?

Edited by Harper2Sox

3 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

The Indians are managing their roster with the payroll they have to work with.  I have no doubt they will still be competitive in the division and I’m pretty sure their payroll is still much higher than the Sox.  The Sox had much more money to spend than the Indians and didn’t.

Also, if we were in the Indians shoes and the White Sox wanted to take Alonso and his $9 million off our hands for a fringe prospect, we would have all jumped for joy.  He is a mediocre player and not worth $9 million dollars.

Finally, if Lindor was a White Sox, doesn’t anyone actually think the Sox would be able to extend him either?

Lindor is EXACTLY the kind of players that the Sox would have done everything they could to extend early.  They have a long history of doing exactly that.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lindor is EXACTLY the kind of players that the Sox would have done everything they could to extend early.  They have a long history of doing exactly that.

And the Indians have offered him extensions previously. If a guy is dead-set on free agency , then there's only so much a team can do. Not to mention, they did lock up Jose Ramirez on a team friendly extension.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

And the Indians have offered him extensions previously. If a guy is dead-set on free agency , then there's only so much a team can do.

They did seem to step up to the plate with the 6/100 a couple of years down the road for sure.  Could the Sox have interested him in something like a Tim Anderson or Eloy Jimenez type deal even earlier?  Who knows.  But again, the Sox do about as good of a job of this as anyone in MLB.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

They did seem to step up to the plate with the 6/100 a couple of years down the road for sure.  Could the Sox have interested him in something like a Tim Anderson or Eloy Jimenez type deal even earlier?  Who knows.  But again, the Sox do about as good of a job of this as anyone in MLB.

I edited my comment to include the fact the Tribe has done this with Ramirez as well.

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which still has nothing to do with dismantling an active playoff team.  Think of it this way.  The Sox missed out on the top free agent because they were cheap after a 100 loss season.  The Indians are actively shopping their best players because they are cheap after a 91 win season.

I’m not sure I agree with your last line.  The Indians are actively shopping some of their pitching because they have a ton of depth and can get long-term pieces that could greatly extend their window.  If the AL Central wasn’t so weak, they may not be considering this strategy right now.

51 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Name a white Sox star they havent paid and retained? One who left via free agency because the Sox couldn't afford him.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure I agree with your last line.  The Indians are actively shopping some of their pitching because they have a ton of depth and can get long-term pieces that could greatly extend their window.  If the AL Central wasn’t so weak, they may not be considering this strategy right now.

No. They are shopping them because they dont want to pay them.

Although I'd trade Kluber myself as he's trending downward fast.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

According to Forbes, the Indians still made $31 million in 2018.  That is without all of the off of the books stuff that we know exists.  They are also on the low end of the debt to equity equation which means they aren't drowning in debt like other teams.

The Indians are not poor.  In fact they pulled in more revenue than the White Sox did in 2018.

Yes, the Indians have been crying poor since the days they were selling out a decade in a row. The organization has never paid to maintain their guys and they could certainly afford it.

It's one thing to miss out on a free agent. It's an entirely different thing to never retain your stars because you refuse to pay them.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, the Indians have been crying poor since the days they were selling out a decade in a row. The organization has never paid to maintain their guys and they could certainly afford it.

It's one thing to miss out on a free agent. It's an entirely different thing to never retain your stars because you refuse to pay them.

And yet their strategy has led to far more playoff appearances than anyone else since the AL Central was created. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I honestly don't even know the answer to this as they haven't had many stars to even have examples. 

Mark Buehrle is the obvious answer of a guy who took a better contract to leave. It was not a contract the White Sox should have signed, but he left because someone offered him a heaping pile of money.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Mark Buehrle is the obvious answer of a guy who took a better contract to leave. It was not a contract the White Sox should have signed, but he left because someone offered him a heaping pile of money.

They chose to retain Danks instead. 

You could say Magglio, but hey, that worked out okay. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They had already retained buehrle once. No where am I arguing all stars should stay for life but they retained him when the time came the first time.

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If magglio doesnt get badly injured they may have kept him. 

No chance. They tried to trade him for Nomar when the freight for his back loaded contract came due. He and Boras were done with the White Sox 

Hang is good at negotiating contacts with young guys when he has most of the leverage. When the player gets the leverage, his negotiating skills are for the most part, moot.