Spring Training Thread

ron883

Some good news as spring training comes to a close next week...the weather will be better this year. We’re not going to have a repeat of last year’s April nonsense. Long range forecast has east of the Rockies warmer than normal through the first few weeks of April.  

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Lopez is the one who was most deserving, but whatever...if it somehow helps Rodon throw 95-98 mph instead of 88-93 in the early innings, more power to Renteria I guess.

Lopez is pitching tonight. He’s probably going to be the number 2, and start the home opener 4/4.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tomorrow's headline will obviously be Kopech falling off of a cliff and landing on Eloy Jimenez,  crippling them both.

Training staff believes he will recover in a week

Edited by fathom

3 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

Delmonico optioned to Charlotte 

Right move. Guy caught lightning in a bottle at the right time to get a cup of coffee at the big league level. Tough series of events/injuries let other push him out of the way. Such a nice guy, hopefully he gets the opportunity again, though I can't see it being with the Sox.

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'd like to see the overall numbers for MLB in AZ given that spring training in MLB seems to be more and more a "thing you do in the beautiful march weather of southern Arizona".  Last time I went in 2017 there was a palpable sense that it had grown into more than just about baseball (good for baseball really) and was about just having a really good time while laying in the sun and taking in the chance to see pro athletes for 10 cents on the dollar and taking that savings to buy booze and food.

edit: well, perception can be a helluva thing.  Looks like the last year I went in 2017 was a high water mark for attendance and they've seen a small dip the last two years.  Dodgers increased their attendance this year at Camelback as well but only slightly, around 2%.

Wonder if the nasty Chicago February weather helped?  Couldn't find much on Cubs attendance this spring.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

On 3/23/2019 at 6:39 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Right move. Guy caught lightning in a bottle at the right time to get a cup of coffee at the big league level. Tough series of events/injuries let other push him out of the way. Such a nice guy, hopefully he gets the opportunity again, though I can't see it being with the Sox.

Nicky still has at least 2 more years of options. Sure he's on the 40 man, but there is plenty of fat to trim before he was would be on the chopping block.  I'd be very surprised if we've seen the last of Nicky in a Sox uni.  

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd like to see the overall numbers for MLB in AZ given that spring training in MLB seems to be more and more a "thing you do in the beautiful march weather of southern Arizona".  Last time I went in 2017 there was a palpable sense that it had grown into more than just about baseball (good for baseball really) and was about just having a really good time while laying in the sun and taking in the chance to see pro athletes for 10 cents on the dollar and taking that savings to buy booze and food.

edit: well, perception can be a helluva thing.  Looks like the last year I went in 2017 was a high water mark for attendance and they've seen a small dip the last two years.  Dodgers increased their attendance this year at Camelback as well but only slightly, around 2%.

Wonder if the nasty Chicago February weather helped?  Couldn't find much on Cubs attendance this spring.

Non baseball junkies I know go there for the weather/atmosphere/party basically. Definitely feels like more than baseball. 

It was a heck of a time though. Took about a full week for my body to recover from it though...

• Like 1

Weather looks good Thursday throughout baseball. 

High 60s scattered storms in KC

Probably lucked out both Chicago teams on the road, as Thursday-Saturday could be rainy. 

Right now April 4 says 49, but that’s too far away.

Edited by flavum