Why Preller >>> Hahn

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Maybe I missed it, but is nobody going to mention how much of a scumbag Preller is? Not that it makes Hahn a better GM, but it at least makes Preller a lot less likable 

Hahn isn't exactly Mr, Popular right now . I will take less likable for better results.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The difference is that Preller convinced a much poorer ownership group to fork over that guaranteed commitment of $300 million...either Hahn doesn’t have that gene of persuasion in him like KW (what happened to the Hahn of the Robertson, Cabrera and LaRoche series of signings?) or he’s just completely neutered and basically the equivalent of Jed Hoyer in terms of real power in the Sox organization.

When did KW ever convince JR to fork over $300M to a single player? Or $200M? When has any Sox GM in the past 35+ years convinced JR to fork over even $100M to a single player?

Preller may be a better GM than Hahn, but not because he's more persuasive. JR has demonstrated over and over again that he's cheap-ass and no GM on the planet would've convinced him to give Machado that contract.

Edited by Black_Jack29
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

When did KW ever convince JR to fork over $300M to a single player? Or $200M? When has any Sox GM in the past 35+ years convinced JR to fork over even $100M to a single player?

Preller may be a better GM than Hahn, but not because he's more persuasive. JR has demonstrated over and over again that he's cheap-ass and no GM on the planet would've convinced him to give Machado that contract.

I think a good point here is that while KW was able to get Jerry to buy off on higher major league budgets, it came at the cost of amateur and international scouting which came to haunt the sox and basically led to this lost decade.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Exactly! The fact that this teams' biggest contract in history is Jose Abreu's 6/68 deal is just ridiculous and embarassing for a team in a major (heck even in a mid sized) market.

24 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Exactly! The fact that this teams' biggest contract in history is Jose Abreu's 6/68 deal is just ridiculous and embarassing for a team in a major (heck even in a mid sized) market.

The other thing to consider about the White Sox Abreu contract, he opted into arbitration. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

RH is still using the "no one thought we would make a trade with the Cubs." as a feather in the "new" White Sox cap. He also does the Luis Robert thing a lot too. Premium free agent signing, actually developing a Luis Robert type, and winning consistently are things still to be addressed. 

The bottom line is that Hahn is somewhere on the spectrum of lying through his teeth to disingenuous, and he's insulting the intelligence of the die-hard fanbase with his comments. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The bottom line is that Hahn is somewhere on the spectrum of lying through his teeth to disingenuous, and he's insulting the intelligence of the die-hard fanbase with his comments. 

He will always have his talking points and he is very good at getting you to believe he told you a lot, when you eventually realize he told you nothing.

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Jesus Christ

C'mon Rodon was supposed to be a slam dunk ace by now and he hasn't proven he can stay healthy When he has pitched he's done so as a back-end starter. He's very similar to Floyd and Vazquez right now, imo. All of the talent, no results. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

On what planet do you live? 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodonca01.shtml

He's basically Quintana 2017-present the past few years. 

The planet where nobody thought Rodon was a "slam dunk future ace." The planet where there is probably 3 or 4 "slam dunk aces" that exist. The planet where Rodon is a young pitcher that's battled a lot of injuries including a major shoulder injury. You don't have to exaggerate every single time you post. Get a grip on yourself. 

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The planet where nobody thought Rodon was a "slam dunk future ace." The planet where there is probably 3 or 4 "slam dunk aces" that exist. The planet where Rodon is a young pitcher that's battled a lot of injuries including a major shoulder injury. You don't have to exaggerate every single time you post. Get a grip on yourself. 

Take everything posted from Tuesday until the start of ST games with a MASSIVE grain of salt. Tons of hyperbole and cynicism being posted right now, mostly out of anger, frustration, shock and utter disbelief in the buffoonery of the FO. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

No. 

Whatever dude, I'm just trying to get all of my negative energy out before ST games start. Like I said earlier, I'm not mad about the fact they failed, I'm mad about HOW they fucked shit up. 

If you're going to take everything posted Post-Machado at face value I'd suggest not reading this board until mid-March. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Whatever dude, I'm just trying to get all of my negative energy out before ST games start. Like I said earlier, I'm not mad about the fact they failed, I'm mad about HOW they fucked shit up. 

If you're going to take everything posted Post-Machado at face value I'd sugges not reading this board until mid-March. 

That's fine, but what do Collins and Rodon have to do with it? Now they're busts because Machado wants to play in SD? 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

That's fine, but what do Collins and Rodon have to do with it? Now they're busts because Machado wants to play in SD? 

I'm being overly cynical right now because I'm pissed at the FO. For the time being, they could take an 18 year old Mike Trout and turn him into a non prospect. 

Regardless of that, I think Collins is a non prospect anyway. Thought so a month ago, continue to think so. Rodon is somewhat disappointing for being the consensus top college arm in his class and I'm pretty sure everyone would rather have Nola now. We all look like fools there. 

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't forget when Preller was investing in Latin America  that Hahn's recent response to that was drafting and concentrating on developing RELIEF PITCHERS . You know those  guys who vary wildly from year to year in performance and are available year in and year out for fairly cheap.

Then doubled up by spending another $15+ million on declining veteran placeholders...

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sale was ok.

So they can basically live off Sale, Eaton and Q for another decade or so...right?

All the other busted draft picks, trades and FA acquisitions, just bad luck, not bad judgment.  

“They all looked good or defensible at the time!”

And we were also deprived of another player going into the Hall of Fame with a White Sox cap on...thanks to our own ineptitude.  Not exactly the type of spellbinding story you want to tell your kids at night, about Sale cutting up jerseys or Drake LaRoche Gate.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So they can basically live off Sale, Eaton and Q for another decade or so...right?

All the other busted draft picks, trades and FA acquisitions, just bad luck, not bad judgment.  

“They all looked good or defensible at the time!”

And we were also deprived of another player going into the Hall of Fame with a White Sox cap on...thanks to our own ineptitude.  Not exactly the type of spellbinding story you want to tell your kids at night, about Sale cutting up jerseys or Drake LaRoche Gate.

Huh? You said they had not made a good first round pick since 1992. I corrected you.