Why Preller >>> Hahn

caulfield12

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm still waiting for someone to direct me to the huge stars aj preller has signed out of Latin America. I keep hearing about his greatness but I must have missed these outcomes.

Urias? He didn't signed Mejia.

Urias and Tatis look like studs, but I still wouldn't trade Moncada straight up for either, though I'm sure others would disagree. 

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Urias? He didn't signed Mejia.

Urias and Tatis look like studs, but I still wouldn't trade Moncada straight up for either, though I'm sure others would disagree. 

Didnt sign tatis and urias has proven nothing yet. The greatest Latin American mind in the game as caulfield says has literally no one to name.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Huh? You said they had not made a good first round pick since 1992. I corrected you. 

Where did I say that, in those exact words?

Kip Wells was a good pick, lots of talent, but Cooper couldn’t get it out of him under the bright lights of Chicago...heck, Joe Borchard might have even become something if he wasn’t immediately placed under extreme pressure to produce, maybe even Brian Anderson (50% character issues, which other teams noticed, zeroing in on his college teammate Ian Kinsler instead.)

We draft physical talent...but not well-rounded baseball players.  Madrigal was the first I can remember that won’t need a ton of coaching.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Kip Wells was a good pick, lots of talent, but Cooper couldn’t get it out of him under the bright lights of Chicago...heck, Joe Borchard might have even become something if he wasn’t immediately placed under extreme pressure to produce, maybe even Brian Anderson (50% character issues, which other teams noticed, zeroing in on his college teammate Ian Kinsler instead.)

We draft physical talent...but not well-rounded baseball players.  Madrigal was the first I can remember that won’t need a ton of coaching.

Cooper never coached Wells. Kip Wells played for the Pirates before Cooper was the Sox pitching coach. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Huh? You said they had not made a good first round pick since 1992. I corrected you. 

I said that it wasn't him. Plus what I meant was successful drafts. Not only one player. But you have a knack to spin everything to come out as a smartass every time.... 

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Cooper never coached Wells. Kip Wells played for the Pirates before Cooper was the Sox pitching coach. 

Wells got nardied lol.. Good ol flava flav

Edited by JoshPR

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Well, here’s something positive.  Nearly every former Sox player comes back (like Brian Anderson) when their career is beyond saving...Beckham will undoubtedly be next.

Not only that, Wells isn't exactly Pettitte, a borderline Hall of Famer. Wells has a career 67-99 record, 4.71 ERA and 1.51 WHIP.

But Wells, 35 later this month, was throwing 93-94 mph in tryouts for teams (he had one for the Mets, as well), so it may not be quite the long shot folks might assume. White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said he was throwing "good'' and the team needed veteran depth at the Triple-A level. It's a low-risk deal for the White Sox since he'll be in the minors at the start, and he's going to need several weeks to get into pitching shape, but he is serious about it.

Wells had stints with the Pirates, Rockies, Cardinals, Rangers, Reds and Royals and Nationals in his first 11-year big-league career.

Another team or two showed interest, but Wells wanted to do it for the White Sox because he has fond memories of pitching for them a decade ago (he was a White Sox from 1999-2001), and like a lot of players who played on Chicago's South Side, he has especially fond memories of working for White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He's referring to a post I made this am. He's got it confused

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, here’s something positive.  Nearly every former Sox player comes back (like Brian Anderson) when their career is beyond saving...Beckham will undoubtedly be next.

Not only that, Wells isn't exactly Pettitte, a borderline Hall of Famer. Wells has a career 67-99 record, 4.71 ERA and 1.51 WHIP.

But Wells, 35 later this month, was throwing 93-94 mph in tryouts for teams (he had one for the Mets, as well), so it may not be quite the long shot folks might assume. White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said he was throwing "good'' and the team needed veteran depth at the Triple-A level. It's a low-risk deal for the White Sox since he'll be in the minors at the start, and he's going to need several weeks to get into pitching shape, but he is serious about it.

Wells had stints with the Pirates, Rockies, Cardinals, Rangers, Reds and Royals and Nationals in his first 11-year big-league career.

Another team or two showed interest, but Wells wanted to do it for the White Sox because he has fond memories of pitching for them a decade ago (he was a White Sox from 1999-2001), and like a lot of players who played on Chicago's South Side, he has especially fond memories of working for White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

Yeah, the Sox ruined a 35 year old Kip Wells who Don Cooper never actually coached under the "big lights." You're on fire. 

24 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Borchard was a college draftee who put up a .900 OPS in his 2 minor league seasons.

Ian Kinsler was drafted in the 17th round. Didn't he play for Missouri? 

You really can't make this shit up. 

Anderson is a graduate of the University of Arizona and Canyon del Oro High School in Oro Valley, Arizona, a suburb of Tucson. All-Star second baseman Ian Kinsler of the Texas Rangers was his best friend and teammate in high school,[1]where they played with Scott Hairston and the brothers Chris and Shelley Duncan.

Fine, high school teammates...they were scouted together from the time they were 16, and Anderson was originally the one they drooled over, but he wasn’t half the player that Kinsler turned out to be.

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Didnt sign tatis and urias has proven nothing yet. The greatest Latin American mind in the game as caulfield says has literally no one to name.

Well he is there only since late 2014 so most international guys are still in the minors.

Still 3 guys out of their current top10 which are all top 100 guys have been signed internationally by him (baz, morejon, patino) as well as a ton of guys out of their very strong 10 to 30 group. Also signed a lot of very good players in texas. 

There is a lot to criticize about preller but nobody would question his international competence. 

5 hours ago, JoshPR said:

True, and it was talked about. Looks like it ended in nothing. But you can articulate all you want if the guy with beans doesn't want to loosen up. If the sox don't wanna fork out a ton of money then start from the bottom and have a stacked farm system to be able to cover. Create your own machados, Harper's and trouts. But they can't even do that. In the last 40 years how many 1's have really panned out?? Ill tell you.. 87, 88, 89, 90

McDowell

Ventura

Thomas 

Fernandez

Where does this say entire drafts.

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He got every part of that rant factually incorrect, but okay. 

“He became the White Sox minor league pitching coordinator from 1993 through 2002, aside from serving as pitching coach for the Triple-A Nashville Sounds in 1995 and 1996.”

Just because he wasn’t his personal and official big league pitching coach doesn’t mean they didn’t spend a lot of time working together.  The fact of the matter is that many in the organization were pushing for Todd Ritchie over Kip Wells and Josh Fogg, and we know how well that worked out in terms of career fWAR.

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, the Sox ruined a 35 year old Kip Wells who Don Cooper never actually coached under the "big lights." You're on fire. 

You’re really something, you know that...

I probably have 500 posts the last three days, and make a couple of mistakes at 5 am. in the morning.

Oh my god, I had Kinsler and Brian Anderson as teammates in university instead of high school.  The horror of it all!!!

Well, KW once traded the wrong Barry/Berry from his system because there was a miscommunication about the spelling of the name.  He didn’t even know who Nestor Molina was, either, but that’s an embarrassment now for Marco Paddy to live with.

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Todd Ritchie pitched 871 IP of 4.71 ERA ball his career ERA+ of 98 is below average.

What a strange hill to die on. 🤨

I should have been more specific...fWAR with the White Sox after the trade, versus fWAR for Fogg, Wells and Lowe with the Pirates.

Which of course led to not having a 5th starter in 2003 because we were too cheap to pay Kenny Rogers, who was of course integral in the Twins winning yet another division title.

8.5 for Wells, 6.1 for Fogg and 1.0 for Ritchie from 2012-14.  

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Anderson is a graduate of the University of Arizona and Canyon del Oro High School in Oro Valley, Arizona, a suburb of Tucson. All-Star second baseman Ian Kinsler of the Texas Rangers was his best friend and teammate in high school,[1]where they played with Scott Hairston and the brothers Chris and Shelley Duncan.

Fine, high school teammates...they were scouted together from the time they were 16, and Anderson was originally the one they drooled over, but he wasn’t half the player that Jinsler turned out to be.

Ian Kinsler was drafted in the 17th round. It looks like about 30 teams missed on him 17 times. He played college ball for Mizzou. Anderson played for Arizona. Every single part of your post was factually incorrect. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Ian Kinsler was drafted in the 17th round. It looks like about 30 teams missed on him 17 times. He played college ball for Mizzou. Anderson played for Arizona. Every single part of your post was factually incorrect. 

Once again, the horror of misremembering them as high school vs. university teammates!!

I’m 100% sure YOU knew that too, right?

I mean none of our broadcasters like Hawk and Melton and DJ and Farmer and Benetti have ever made a single mistake...and they actually get paid for their memories.

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yes, therein lies the point.  Sox scouted them together and picked the athlete and ignored the real baseball player...

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Once again, the horror of misremembering them as high school vs. university teammates!!

I’m 100% sure YOU knew that too, right?

I mean none of our broadcasters like Hawk and Melton and DJ and Farmer and Benetti have ever made a single mistake...and they actually get paid for their memories.

Hell, the Diamondbacks drafted Kinsler twice and still whiffed on him 16 different times when the Rangers took him in the 17th round. Those idiots!