Odubel Herrera anyone?

Buehrlesque

In historically embarrassing, incompetent and cheap fashion, the Sox lost out on Manny Machado. This thread is not about him. Let's keep all the murderous rage and legitimate anger out of this thread, and just focus on any possible remaining moves now that that situation is resolved. The Sox seem to be set with an infield of Moncada (3B), TA (SS), Yolmer (2B) and Abreu/Alonso (1B/DH), and honestly, at this point I am fine with that. Alonso is obviously one of the worst possible acquisitions value-wise, but it is what it is now.

The OF on the other hand, is a dumpster fire (and would have been with or without Machado). Would anyone here be interested in Odubel Herrera from the Phillies? He's about to get forced out when they (eventually) sign Bryce Harper. He's 27, bats left, can play CF or RF, and while he hasn't been outstanding the last two years, he was darn impressive in 2016 and still could tap into that upside, especially with a change of scenery and an everyday job. Compared to, say, Mitch Haniger, who would cost a Dylan Cease or something, Herrera would come relatively cheap, and still has several years on his contract left. What do you guys think?

I'd say Herrera is my guy right now. Anyone else worth considering? Joc? JBJ? Pony up for Haniger or Starling Marte?

Pretty sure Herrera is their starting center fielder.  I don't see why they would trade him if they signed Harper.  Cutch would go to left, Herrera in CF and Harper to right.  Pushes Hoskins to first base, where he belongs.  If anything, they would just part ways with Aaron Altherr who is a year older then Herrera and isn't very good.

Frankly, when I read this I can only be annoyed that when we entered our rebuild we did not find anyone as productive as Herrera with the additional playing time we could offer waiver pickups and AAAA players. 

These deals are usually impossible for me because I have no idea what the cost is. But I'd rather not shell out talent for a guy that I would say is almost certainly someone you'd want to upgrade from in a year or two.

5 hours ago, tkling36 said:

Pretty sure Herrera is their starting center fielder.  I don't see why they would trade him if they signed Harper.  Cutch would go to left, Herrera in CF and Harper to right.  Pushes Hoskins to first base, where he belongs.  If anything, they would just part ways with Aaron Altherr who is a year older then Herrera and isn't very good.

They also have Nick WIlliams and Roman Quinn too. I think it's fair to think Odubel could be available. NBC Sports Philly was speculating about it yesterday.

Would he represent a clear upgrade for the Sox? Of course, but I wouldn’t give up a whole lot for him. Especially not at this point thinking he’s going to make any kind of impact on this team. 

I live in phillies country so see a lot of their games and hear all the talk...Odubel is wildly inconsistent and makes a ton of boneheaded mistakes. If you look at his splits he’s been pretty bad for 1/2 the season the past 2 years. I could definitely see the Phillies giving him up if the right deal comes along, but doubt they are looking to move him either. Nick Williams would make a lot more sense if the Phillies do land Harper.

11 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Would he represent a clear upgrade for the Sox? Of course, but I wouldn’t give up a whole lot for him. Especially not at this point thinking he’s going to make any kind of impact on this team. 

I live in phillies country so see a lot of their games and hear all the talk...Odubel is wildly inconsistent and makes a ton of boneheaded mistakes. If you look at his splits he’s been pretty bad for 1/2 the season the past 2 years. I could definitely see the Phillies giving him up if the right deal comes along, but doubt they are looking to move him either. Nick Williams would make a lot more sense if the Phillies do land Harper.

This ^

He’s an extremely frustrating player. The talent is enticing but we shouldn’t be giving up any high upside prospects for him. 

Especially since we’ll never sign a good free agent. The way to do this now is pure, mass numbers on the farm system. Gotta get like the Rays where you have more decent guys than you can even play, even if none of them are stars. Then we can sign veteran role players to fill the gaps. Heavy platoons, specialized bullpens, etc.

• Like 1