Fernando Tatis Jr. trade burns more than the loss in the Machado sweeps

VAfan

I don't post here much any more. But I decided I just wanted to put this out there. 

I was disappointed the Sox didn't get Machado, even though I think the guy has some attitude flaws. But what burns me as a Sox fan was the team's horrific blunder of trading Fernando Tatis Jr in the deal for James Shields. It was all brought home when the Padres, not the Sox, ended up with Machado too. 

If you think of it this way - if the Sox still had Tatis Jr, they would have had a lot less need to go after Machado. 

Here are Tatis's numbers in AA at age 19

88 394 353 77 101 22 4 16 43 16 5 33 109 .286 .355 .507 .862 179

Here are Machado's numbers at age 19 in AA 

109 459 402 60 107 26 5 11 59 13 4 48 70 .266 .352 .438 .789

If you didn't know who was who, you'd have to prefer Tatis's numbers to Machado's. 

That one ill advised trade is one of the reasons the Sox's rebuilding plan may never work. The Sox are AT LEAST one major controlled talent from being contenders any time soon. And it may turn out that Tatis Jr. is better than any of the young talent the Sox actually have, with the possible exception of Eloy Jimenez.  

What the heck were the Sox thinking? 

I can't think of any other prospects the Sox have traded who have turned into studs. It's possible Tatis won't turn into a stud either. But right now, I sure wish he were still with the Sox. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I'm sure it has, but it wasn't it's own thread since the Machado deal went down. 

Probably because this is the 37th thread about how stupid of a trade it was.

I'll save everyone's time. The Sox suck. The front office Sucks. The player development sucks. The drafting sucks. Carry on. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Trading Tatis is forgivable. Missing on Manny and wanting to acquire Shields are inexcusable.

And starting the year with Latos and Rollins and arguing you were legitimately attempting to compete...then not realizing that 23-10 start was just a false positive, that it wasn’t going to turn out like 2000 and 2005 and 2008 but was headed for more of a 2010/12 type of ending, at best.

Someone was arguing Preller wasn’t that good.  Well, he was certainly good enough to remember the original scouting report on Tatis, even though they hadn’t signed him for a very affordable price in the first place.

I don’t think I will ever root for a seemingly nice young man to fail more than Tatis. But chances are he’s going to be very good. Obviously another another tarnish in the ever growing list of mishaps over the past decade plus. 

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And starting the year with Latos and Rollins and arguing you were legitimately attempting to compete...then not realizing that 23-10 start was just a false positive, that it wasn’t going to turn out like 2000 and 2005 and 2008 but was headed for more of a 2010/12 type of ending, at best.

Someone was arguing Preller wasn’t that good.  Well, he was certainly good enough to remember the original scouting report on Tatis, even though they hadn’t signed him for a very affordable price in the first place.

In doing my research on SD Int'l signings I was looking at the 2015 list of Top 30 Int'l prospects. That was a pretty good group.  Vlad Jr. was #7 signed for $3.9M, Juan Soto #25 signed for $1.5 M and Tatis #30 signed for 700K

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Finally, you agree.

The problems are obvious. Repeating them over and over won't change that.

It's been a miserable year for Sox fans, but I never wanted any of the FA's anyway. I think signing a major FA is way too big of a gamble for a team with the Sox market. Its been miserable for me because of all the set backs in the minors and Moncada's year. Aside from Eloy, the highlights of the minor league season were Cease and Adolfo not sucking. That's a pretty low bar. 

Even then Adolfo's value goes way down if he can't continue to showcase that shotgun of an arm...but all indications are that 90% of players come back, and many are even better than before.  It's just a matter of his offense at Birmingham, as he's seemingly been in the low minors forever.  He probably has the most natural talent of any player in the system after Robert.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

All we need at this point is an attendance thread. 

This would be one of those years where it would be advisable to announce tickets sold and not fannies actually in the seats.

I might start one around the end of April, but I don't even have the heart to care about attendance at the moment simply because the front office has proven time and time again they don't really care about White Sox fans, so why  the heck should we care about their inability to sell tickets...?  It's not OUR problem, it's THEIRS.

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Hello! Fresh meat here. 

So it appears that Tatis is pretty much a top 3 prospect in all of baseball. What does his trade value look like? Does he now have more value alone than the entire package received by the Sox in the Sale trade? 

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/card/108651/fernando-tatis-jr.

See bottom of the page.

He's ahead of everyone in MiLB but Vladimir Guerrero, Jr., and probably has more all-around fWAR in his game because of his speed and defensive ability at SS.

Acuna's someone that a lot of scouts wouldn't give up for him, same thing with Bregman...and most of the Top 10 listed below, along with Betts/Harper/Machado.  In terms of pure value, though, there are lots of interesting arguments out there.  For what it's worth, Moncada is still listed at #22.  No Kopech.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817347-ranking-mlbs-25-best-players-under-25-entering-the-2019-season#slide14

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/card/108651/fernando-tatis-jr.

See bottom of the page.

He's ahead of everyone in MiLB but Vladimir Guerrero, Jr., and probably has more all-around fWAR in his game because of his speed and defensive ability at SS.

Acuna's someone that a lot of scouts wouldn't give up for him, same thing with Bregman...and most of the Top 10 listed below, along with Betts/Harper/Machado.  In terms of pure value, though, there are lots of interesting arguments out there.  For what it's worth, Moncada is still listed at #22.  No Kopech.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817347-ranking-mlbs-25-best-players-under-25-entering-the-2019-season#slide14

Thanks for the link. The Kansas City Royals have two players on that list. The Sox only have one. That is no bueno. 

• Tony locked this topic