Will Yonder and Jay be gone by midseason?

ron883

Barring a Harper signing, these guys will get grilled by Sox fans. Not only that, but I'm not convinced Yonder is much better than Palka. 

Will the Sox but the bullet and eat some of Yonder's salary to trade him? Will anybody even want Jon freaking Jay? For the sake of both these players, I hope they perform much better than expected or the White Sox dump them. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Barring a Harper signing, these guys will get grilled by Sox fans. Not only that, but I'm not convinced Yonder is much better than Palka. 

Will the Sox but the bullet and eat some of Yonder's salary to trade him? Will anybody even want Jon freaking Jay? For the sake of both these players, I hope they perform much better than expected or the White Sox dump them. 

Yonder Alonso had a 709 ops overall after the All Star Break.

Palka was over 100 points higher at 812.  

Alonso would have fit in with Juan Pierre and Darin Erstad in Ozzie’s stable of veteran leaders, though...

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yonder Alonso had a 709 ops overall after the All Star Break.

Palka was over 100 points higher at 812.  

Alonso would have fit in with Juan Pierre and Darin Erstad in Ozzie’s stable of veteran leaders, though...

I honestly think Palka is our RF at the moment.  Not sure Alonso is a huge issue as the roster is currently constructed.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly think Palka is our RF at the moment.  Not sure Alonso is a huge issue as the roster is currently constructed.

No not really. But now they don't have Machado, I'd rather see Palka mainly DH and maybe give at bats to someone else from the minors or maybe a sign and flip type of player. I mean, I guess that guy could be Alonso. Let's just hope he hits enough to deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

It's not their fault, so I certainly hope Sox fans will not take out their frustration on Jay and Alonso. They seem like really good guys, probably with better character than the other amigo, in their little 305 club. However, They don't fit this team's needs, unless Harper is signed and the rebuild is jump started. The playing time needs to go to potential future pieces. The sooner that they can be removed from the roster, the better. In particular, I'd like to see Palka get some reps at first base. He could be a fit there, if Abreu is not extended. There is probably no rush to try one of the prospects in center, but Gonzalez may push that issue, sometime this season. In the meantime, I still have hope that Engel will figure out how to get on base enough to make him serviceable. Jay's presence kind of precludes that.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

No not really. But now they don't have Machado, I'd rather see Palka mainly DH and maybe give at bats to someone else from the minors or maybe a sign and flip type of player. I mean, I guess that guy could be Alonso. Let's just hope he hits enough to deal.

While I'd rather see Palka as DH, I also don't see the harm in running him out to the OF every day for a year. If his defense doesn't improve, oh darn we lose more games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

How can those two both DH if they’re left handed with similar splits?  Palka in the minors until they dump Alonso to the first taker?

Do we really want to run Engel and Jay out there nearly everyday?  Leury?

Delmonico’s the only other option, and it was way too early to push Basabe up to the big leagues, even before this recent injury.

Zavala could play some LF as well, but he’s gone when Jimenez comes up.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

While I'd rather see Palka as DH, I also don't see the harm in running him out to the OF every day for a year. If his defense doesn't improve, oh darn we lose more games. 

His abysmal defense doesn't help the young starting pitchers at all

• Haha 1

One can only hope.  The last thing we need is Alonso’s $9 million option kicking in for 2020...

• “2020 option guaranteed if Alonso 1) passes physical after 2019 season and 2) has 550 plate appearances in 2019 or 1,100 plate appearances in 2018-19 combined”

I have faith the Sox won’t let this happen but a mediocre 1B bat with a $9 million dollar salary for this year might not be so easy to move by the deadline.  But they can always bench him and play Palka so he doesn’t hit the incentive.

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

It's not their fault, so I certainly hope Sox fans will not take out their frustration on Jay and Alonso. They seem like really good guys, probably with better character than the other amigo, in their little 305 club. However, They don't fit this team's needs, unless Harper is signed and the rebuild is jump started. The playing time needs to go to potential future pieces. The sooner that they can be removed from the roster, the better. In particular, I'd like to see Palka get some reps at first base. He could be a fit there, if Abreu is not extended. There is probably no rush to try one of the prospects in center, but Gonzales may push that issue, sometime this season. In the meantime, I still have hope that Engel will figure out how to get on base enough to make him serviceable.

Basabe will be the first outfielder to arrive after Jimenez, with Luis Robert the one they REALLY are hoping for the breakout season out of so he can be less than half a year away at the beginning of 2020...

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

In a lost year, I’d rather give Palka half a season in RF and adjust accordingly.  I’d also like to see Abreu DH quite a bit (as that’s his likely long-term home) and Alsono helps in that regard.

Jon Jay is currently a release candidate IMO (although Hahn likely sees otherwise), OF is too crowded with frankly better options in Leury, Delmonico, Palka and hopefully Eloy by May

Alonso frankly cuts into Abreu's time at 1B and takes ABs away from Palka, if this were a competing team an infield of Abreu, Moncada, Machado, Anderson with Yolmer and Yonder off the bench, I wouldn't mind Alonso, but it's not, this is a year to develop and Alonso should be moved by the deadline and probably will be

Doubt either of them make it through the season as long as Hahn is somewhat competent

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Basabe will be the first outfielder to arrive after Jimenez, with Luis Robert the one they REALLY are hoping for the breakout season out of so he can be less than half a year away at the beginning of 2020...

I agree that Basabe is a better prospect than Gonzalez, but he is further away, especially now that he has lost significant playing time, for this season. Of course, Robert is the ultimate top candidate for CF, but he is too young and too raw, to expect until 2021, unless he just races through the system.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In a lost year, I’d rather give Palka half a season in RF and adjust accordingly.  I’d also like to see Abreu DH quite a bit (as that’s his likely long-term home) and Alsono helps in that regard.

Do you really want to overpay to bring back a 33 year old DH with an already declining bat?  No thanks.

We should only be concerned with keeping Abreu healthy until the trade deadline to move him for a mediocre return.

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It might help with the fans a bit if he did change his name to Alsono for this season...

4 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

By the way, watch Avi have a hell of a season in TB with 20+ homers and .270ish AVG

Would have loved to have seen an OF of Eloy, Robert, Avi one day (move Avi to DH when Basabe, Adolfo are up)

I expect that may indeed happen. however Avi is going to be a free agent, at the end of the season, and probably was not going to be resigned, with all of the very promising outfield prospects, in the system.

Edited by Lillian

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

By the way, watch Avi have a hell of a season in TB with 20+ homers and .270ish AVG

Would have loved to have seen an OF of Eloy, Robert, Avi one day (move Avi to DH when Basabe, Adolfo are up)

It’s going to be interesting to see if guys like Avi, Narvaez, Davidson and Kevan Smith can establish themselves with other organizations, particularly the first three guys.

And at least we can still claim Flowers and Phegley in our stable of past catchers.  That’s four right there.

Edited by caulfield12