Will Yonder and Jay be gone by midseason?

ron883

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How can those two both DH if they’re left handed with similar splits?  Palka in the minors until they dump Alonso to the first taker?

Do we really want to run Engel and Jay out there nearly everyday?  Leury?

Delmonico’s the only other option, and it was way too early to push Basabe up to the big leagues, even before this recent injury.

Zavala could play some LF as well, but he’s gone when Jimenez comes up.

I was saying my preference for this year would be Palka DHing. Obviously, that cant happen.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s going to be interesting to see if guys like Avi, Narvaez, Davidson and Kevan Smith can establish themselves with other organizations, particularly the first three guys.

And at least we can still claim Flowers and Phegley in our stable of past catchers.

Literally no reason to have cut bait with Avi and Davidson at this point...At least Narvaez netted a good reliever

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

By the way, watch Avi have a hell of a season in TB with 20+ homers and .270ish AVG

Would have loved to have seen an OF of Eloy, Robert, Avi one day (move Avi to DH when Basabe, Adolfo are up)

Avi has only played 140+ games in a season once in his career. I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't miss some time this year, especially if he has to navigate that terrible field in Tampa.

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I would think that both of them will be gone as soon as possible. And if this season is going to be as bad as 2018 maybe Hahn will be gone also.

And the odds they’d actually replace him with someone from outside the organization with an actual background in scouting + player development (with a focus on modern analytics)...?

45 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Do you really want to overpay to bring back a 33 year old DH with an already declining bat?  No thanks.

We should only be concerned with keeping Abreu healthy until the trade deadline to move him for a mediocre return.

I think as a DH Jose will remain healthier can stay very effective as a hitter.  I don’t buy last year as a decline year and am willing to see how 2019 shakes out before I make that call on him.

This is a good question.

I think Yonder finishes out the season. I think there is a high likelihood that Nicky and Palka out perform him offensively (I don't even think highly of Nicky at all).

Jay had a terrible second half last year. I think it's pretty likely that he is entering his steep decline and will be rough, but would probably still be someone you trade for nothing in july.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a good question.

I think Yonder finishes out the season. I think there is a high likelihood that Nicky and Palka out perform him offensively (I don't even think highly of Nicky at all).

Jay had a terrible second half last year. I think it's pretty likely that he is entering his steep decline and will be rough, but would probably still be someone you trade for nothing in july.

I actually think the opposite for both guys. I can see Yonder having a pretty solid first half then Hahn flips him for AAA fodder to a contender (maybe the Padres who knows lol)

Jay will probably end up finishing the season for the Sox sharing some CF duties as Engel continues to suck. Many of us will call on his release when he's not good but ultimately he finishes the season unless a prospect forces the issue (basabe maybe but the injury has pushed his possible debut back)

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think as a DH Jose will remain healthier can stay very effective as a hitter.  I don’t buy last year as a decline year and am willing to see how 2019 shakes out before I make that call on him.

The Sox are going to extend Jose at sometime in 2019. KW foreshadowed this with his comments about not being able to get to 300 million for Machado because they will have to pay their own guys down the line. I expect him to get something like a 3 year 54 million dollar extension. He has been a loyal soldier. JR and KW will reward him. 

3 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Alonso and Jay don't deserve any blow-back from this Machado business.  They are major league players and are going to do a job.  It's not their fault they are tied to Machado and that is the reason Khahn got them. 

Middling veterans have no purpose on a rebuilding/tanking team. They need to be jettisoned as soon as possible.

Let the kids play. Palka should be getting Alonso's at bats. Give Jay's at bats to Engel/Delmonico/Tilson/Cordell 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Middling veterans have no purpose on a rebuilding/tanking team. They need to be jettisoned as soon as possible.

Let the kids play. Palka should be getting Alonso's at bats. Give Jay's at bats to Engel/Delmonico/Tilson/Cordell 

I agree the kids should be playing.  It was an amateur move signing these guys simply to lure machado but now that they are here and events transpired the way they have they still don't deserve ant negativity from the fan base.  They did nothing wrong.  Boo Khahn instead Id say.

Edited by Worldbreaker Palk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alonso and Jay are actually major league players.  They probably make this team better.  But now that we missed on Machado, what's the point?  We're better off letting guys that have a sliver of hope to be a part of the future play as much as possible.

I think Alonso is probably tradeable right now.  Jay probably not.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Alonso and Jay are actually major league players.  They probably make this team better.  But now that we missed on Machado, what's the point?  We're better off letting guys that have a sliver of hope to be a part of the future play as much as possible.

I think Alonso is probably tradeable right now.  Jay probably not.  

Yeah what team looking to compete can use a 1B at $9 mill? And basically for nothing?

4 hours ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Alonso and Jay don't deserve any blow-back from this Machado business.  They are major league players and are going to do a job.  It's not their fault they are tied to Machado and that is the reason Khahn got them. 

I was of the same opinion up until Manny's press conference today. After Manny said how much Jay and Alonso talked about how great SD is and how helpful they we're in his decision to go there, FUCK THEM.

Get them the FUCK off this team. They were brought here to help recruit Manny. Jay wouldn't even have Major league job right now if it wasn't for Hahn giving him $4M to be a recruiter, and instead, they both helped Manny choose San Diego. 

I'm just as mad as I was today about that than I was when SD first signed Manny. These fucks have no room on this roster after pulling that shit. Their loyalty was bought, especially Jay, when they were acquired and they both fucked up.

Fuck them.

• Thanks 5
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was of the same opinion up until Manny's press conference today. After Manny said how much Jay and Alonso talked about how great SD is and how helpful they we're in his decision to go there, FUCK THEM.

Get them the FUCK off this team. They were brought here to help recruit Manny. Jay wouldn't even have Major league job right now if it wasn't for Hahn giving him $4M to be a recruiter, and instead, they both helped Manny choose San Diego. 

I'm just as mad as I was today about that than I was when SD first signed Manny. These fucks have no room on this roster after pulling that shit. Their loyalty was bought, especially Jay, when they were acquired and they both fucked up.

Fuck them.

If that's the case then they's be pretty brainless to show their faces on the field.  Also Hahn really got played then.

9 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fuck them.

That’s actually pretty hilarious.

Waiting for Lozano’s The Art of the Deal Part 2 book to cover this...last time we were so embarrassed was KW in Moneyball.  Or the time he accidentally traded the wrong Barry/Berry to another team, think it was Cincy.  Or when they tried to convince us that Jon Adkins was going to somehow be better than draft pick compensation despite having a 7 or 8 ERA in the minors with Oakland.