Will Yonder and Jay be gone by midseason?

ron883

16 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was of the same opinion up until Manny's press conference today. After Manny said how much Jay and Alonso talked about how great SD is and how helpful they we're in his decision to go there, FUCK THEM.

Get them the FUCK off this team. They were brought here to help recruit Manny. Jay wouldn't even have Major league job right now if it wasn't for Hahn giving him $4M to be a recruiter, and instead, they both helped Manny choose San Diego. 

I'm just as mad as I was today about that than I was when SD first signed Manny. These fucks have no room on this roster after pulling that shit. Their loyalty was bought, especially Jay, when they were acquired and they both fucked up.

Fuck them.

The whole Jay/Alonso situation is pretty fascinating. There also appears to be some real bad blood brewing between the Sox and Padres front offices. 

It seems pretty apparent now that Manny never asked the Sox to bring Alonso and Jay onboard. This was all some half cooked scheme by KHahn to lure Manny. They knew they would never get to Lozano's asking price for Manny and thought having his "crew" around would be an adequate substitution for millions of dollars. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The whole Jay/Alonso situation is pretty fascinating. There also appears to be some real bad blood brewing between the Sox and Padres front offices. 

It seems pretty apparent now that Manny never asked the Sox to bring Alonso and Jay onboard. This was all some half cooked scheme by KHahn to lure Manny. They knew they would never get to Lozano's asking price for Manny and thought having his "crew" around would be an adequate substitution for millions of dollars. 

Is it half cooked, half cocked or cockamamie?   Probably qualifies as all three!!!

only partly ready; poorly prepared:"half-cocked solutions often change things for the worse", US , informal : showing a lack of preparation or careful thought : stupid or foolish

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I mean, I thought that was obvious from the beginning.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t shock me at all if Lozano told Hahn if he gets both, Manny would sign for less.

No way. Hahn and KW cooked up this little scheme all on their own. Jay and Alonso were brought on board a few months before Manny signed. I highly highly doubt that Manny/Lozano asked for them to be acquired. 

The Sox were never prepared to meet Manny's asking price and were playing kid games during the entire negotation process. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

No way. Hahn and KW cooked up this little scheme all on their own. Jay and Alonso were brought on board a few months before Manny signed. I highly highly doubt that Manny/Lozano asked for them to be acquired. 

The Sox were never prepared to meet Manny's asking price and were playing kid games during the entire negotation process. 

But that actually worked out in War Games and Ender’s Game, so why not here?

7 minutes ago, Worldbreaker Palk said:

Well those kids were certified geniuses so....

Hahn has cemented himself as a certified dunce after the Machado debacle. 

It is insane that the Sox are gonna waste two valuable roster spots on these worthless stiffs during a rebuilding/evaluation year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Hahn has cemented himself as a certified dunce after the Machado debacle. 

It is insane that the Sox are gonna waste two valuable roster spots on these worthless stiffs during a rebuilding/evaluation year. 

It's insane they thought it would work.  This isn't oldschool baseball anymore yet this organization, probably because of JR and KW, still operate like our great grandfathers organizations.  Money talks,  you know the rest

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Barring a Harper signing, these guys will get grilled by Sox fans. Not only that, but I'm not convinced Yonder is much better than Palka. 

Will the Sox but the bullet and eat some of Yonder's salary to trade him? Will anybody even want Jon freaking Jay? For the sake of both these players, I hope they perform much better than expected or the White Sox dump them. 

Why don’t you go post this on a Cubs forum? 

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Looks like Alonso told Machado how awesome San Diego is.  

I wonder if this is getting all blown out of proportion. I'm sure Manny wanted to seem effusive in his praise and his excitement about SD during the press conference. He wanted to look "excited" for the hometown fans. I wonder if he didn't get a little carried away and inadvertently throw his "Friends and Family" under the bus. Either that or he's a d*uchebag. Too close to call, really ...

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They shouldn't be on the team past 3/15. If you have to eat money, do it. I'm sure the Astros would like Alonso as part of a platoon with Gurriel, even if they get nothing and have to eat 4M do it. 

There is zero chance either player goes anywhere until at least June.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

While you're probably right, I want to see Abreu at 1B and Palka at DH when Eloy is called up. Alonso can ride the pine. If either guy needs a day off, he can play. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Completely disagree, especially if Jay looks done and the few fans start booing in late April or early May...why would it be worth a couple million to keep him around?  To prove the validity of his acquisition as a baseball-only move?

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Completely disagree, especially if Jay looks done and the few fans start booing in late April or early May...why would it be worth a couple million to keep him around?  To prove the validity of his acquisition as a baseball-only move?

Not gonna happen. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Not gonna happen. 

Because Hahn and KW are too proud and stubborn to ever admit they’re wrong.

The fans would appreciate their admitting the gambit failed and moving on...who the heck wants to be reminded all season long (especially if they’re not playing well and Avi is tearing up the AL) of their total ineptitude?

Its like spitting in the ballpark nachos and then asking your fans to ignore it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because Hahn and KW are too proud and stubborn to ever admit they’re wrong.

The fans would appreciate their admitting the gambit failed and moving on...who the heck wants to be reminded all season long (especially if they’re not playing well and Avi is tearing up the AL) of their total ineptitude?

Its like spitting in the ballpark nachos and then asking your fans to ignore it.

No one cuts players in April, nor do any real trades happen.  Get past your feels a bit and come back to reality.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one cuts players in April, nor do any real trades happen.  Get past your feels a bit and come back to reality.

And Jay is beloved around baseball...that’s a good way to make players hate your organization.  He will be traded to the Cubs or Padres by the deadline I’m sure.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I didn’t say in April or even ST...just that it has to happen in the first half of the season.

That’s what a stand up GM would do.  

Admit that he messed up, misread the market but now the entire organization needs to turn the page from this chapter of Sox history.  That won’t happen with both of them on the roster still, especially lockered together and accused of aiding and abetting the Padres, essentially.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And Jay is beloved around baseball...that’s a good way to make players hate your organization.  He will be traded to the Cubs or Padres by the deadline I’m sure.

They don’t need to cut him...just absorb X amount of his salary and get back another team’s version of Alex Call.

There’s simply no way Jay himself would have said he could recruit Machado to the Sox by the force of his will alone.