Will Yonder and Jay be gone by midseason?

ron883

45 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cue Lego Movie theme song.  

I guess ours is Everybody Hurts by REM, or It’s The End of the World As We Know It (and White Sox fans still don’t feel fine)

I don't mean to upset anyone by posting my own tweet, but the video happens to be uploaded on Twitter right now and that's easier than seeing if I can upload a video to this board...... But speaking of REM, you and I are on the same page....

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I didn’t say in April or even ST...just that it has to happen in the first half of the season.

That’s what a stand up GM would do.  

Admit that he messed up, misread the market but now the entire organization needs to turn the page from this chapter of Sox history.  That won’t happen with both of them on the roster still, especially lockered together and accused of aiding and abetting the Padres, essentially.

You said the end of April or early May. That was your artificial deadline. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You said the end of April or early May. That was your artificial deadline. 

I’ll clarify that as specifically for Jay...Alonso’s situation is a bit more complicated because of his larger salary.

In the end, neither player finishes their season with the White Sox.  That much is close to certain.

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was of the same opinion up until Manny's press conference today. After Manny said how much Jay and Alonso talked about how great SD is and how helpful they we're in his decision to go there, FUCK THEM.

Get them the FUCK off this team. They were brought here to help recruit Manny. Jay wouldn't even have Major league job right now if it wasn't for Hahn giving him $4M to be a recruiter, and instead, they both helped Manny choose San Diego. 

I'm just as mad as I was today about that than I was when SD first signed Manny. These fucks have no room on this roster after pulling that shit. Their loyalty was bought, especially Jay, when they were acquired and they both fucked up.

Fuck them.

Yep. Could not agree more. Especially Jay. Fucker even said in a prior interview before Manny signed he would not get involved because it's Manny's business. Clearly that's not the case. These guys deserve whatever negative fan reaction they receive as long as they are on the team.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Soxfest said:

After reading Jay and Alonzo told Machado SD is a good place to play after we acquired both of them, I hope both are gone by June 1st. Don’t care to watch either one, without Machado they are cannon fodder.

I just don't understand how Jay and Alonso fit in the rebuild. I mean both are veterans and average at best. Why do we want to give them at bats? Would SD take Alonso off our hands?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I just don't understand how Jay and Alonso fit in the rebuild. I mean both are veterans and average at best. Why do we want to give them at bats? Would SD take Alonso off our hands?

Because the front office fully 100% believed that having them here for 1 year would help Machado agree to a $50 million discount.

No San Diego would not take Alonso off our hands as they have a highly paid first baseman in Hosmer and no ability to use the DH spot in the NL. 

• Love 1

I've skimmed the thread and it appears we are all (obviously) in agreement that the 34 year old Jay and 32 year old Alonso will serve only one purpose this year. 

And they will be very successful at it: leaving a bad taste in my mouth every AB. Even if they both match their career highs,  it is wasted on a tanking team praying that their traded for young guys turn out good enough to make a difference yet not good enough to command top dollar. 

Edited by HeHatesShe

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Jon Jay is so bad of a hitter I can't even comment. Royals fans danced in the streets when he left the club. Please dump him ASAP. There's no reason to have Alonso around, none. The least the Sox could do is dump both.

On the bright side,  John Jay will now be an as all-star. 

3 minutes ago, zisk said:

I'm an Alex Call fan. Wouldn't surprise me to see him become a regular in the bigs. 2-2.5 war player sounds about right.

I have no feel for Call one way or the other, but this "trade" should have been a pure salary dump for an org. guy, not a prospect.....and the basic salary dump is beyond the capabilities of this FO.

I'm going to be rooting for both Jay and Alonso, in the hope that they prove Hahn wrong and end up being more than just a pair of signings to entice Manny. I know that failed but I hope it really spurs both of them on to show every fan what they can do. Maybe if they hit, we could get some trade value for them. 

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not sure I want Rick Hahn making any trades with San Diego. 

• Haha 1

Regarding those two guys, who together made a MLB laughing stock out of Hahn/White Sox, the only curiosity is how severely and how long they will be booed in Chicago, assuming there is anybody there who cares.

Hahn is such a toenail.  $4 MM for Jay.  How does he arrive at that number?  I wish he would share that negotiating process with us.  The whole conversation could be a script for a slapstick movie comedy.  Who would play Hahn?

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Regarding those two guys, who together made a MLB laughing stock out of Hahn/White Sox, the only curiosity is how severely and how long they will be booed in Chicago, assuming there is anybody there who cares.

Hahn is such a toenail.  $4 MM for Jay.  How does he arrive at that number?  I wish he would share that negotiating process with us.  The whole conversation could be a script for a slapstick movie comedy.  Who would play Hahn?

Steve Carell, Jason Sudeikis or Bill Hader....although Hahn might prefer Bateman or Christian Bale, lol.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/yonder-alonso-7281/

The irony here is the whitesox are about to show how plate appearances work for vesting.   And how a mythical 320 million ( really 250 million ) is not really more than 300 million.   The number for Alonso is 550 plate app ( that number sounds awfully familiar ).  He is either gone or he wont make that number.  You cant make this clown show stuff up.  

Edited by southsideirish71