Sox signing Ervin Santana (pending physical) to milb deal per WSD

Sleepy Harold

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Which means 4.5 million if hes a starter. Not a bad deal at all. cut him and pay him next to nothing.

We have spent $45 million in "next to nothing" pay this offseason and we missed on the player that mattered by $50 million. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

This is just a move to push Manny Banuelos to be the pitcher he is destined to be.  Manny is out of options and now will be lights out in Spring Training with Ervin breathing down his neck.  What a genius move by Rick!!!

Honestly tho, competition is important.  As of this am, there was very little for the 5th spot.  

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't mind this signing. If he sucks, they can cut him and not pay him. If he has something left in the tank, they can flip him for someone younger. But  here is a quote by Hahn at the end of last season. Who has been acquired for the long term since then?

The veteran exec emphasized that he’d like to avoid “short-term fixes that will complicate things in the long run.” Rather, he said, the focus will be on setting the organization up “for an extended run.”

There haven't been any short-term fixed that will complicate anything in the long run so I guess that part is accurate.

I’m all for not signing any vets and sucking/tanking...but someone needs to eat innings. Our pitching staff sucks now and that’s not factoring injuries or further sucking

Rondon

Lopez

Gio

Nova

?? Covey and Stephens. Am I missing someone? Because expecting 900+ innings out of those 5/6 is a pipe dream at best.  

I keep reading that the Sox spent X amount of dollars on scrubs and didn't pony up the extra $50M to secure Manny.  The money they spent/are spending on these guys had nothing to do with how much they were willing to guarantee for Manny.  It had everything to do with refusing to guarantee the money.  They have the money, especially considering that money wouldn't be spent for 9 years.

So if Santana makes the team, where does that leave Covey and Banuelos?  

Option 1:  Banuelos is part of the bullpen because he is out of options, and Covey starts in AAA. In this scenario, would Covey be a starter in Charlotte?

Option 2:  Covey is the long reliever, and they risk losing Banuelos.

Option 3:  Both start the year as part of the bullpen.