Sox signing Ervin Santana (pending physical) to milb deal per WSD

Sleepy Harold

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has a debilitating finger issue that required fairly involved surgery last year.  It's 50/50 if he can even make it through spring gripping a baseball.  This is a dumpster dive don't fool yourself.  And it's not a dumpster sitting outside in Park Slope or the Upper East Side it's a dumpster in a back alley in outer Queens outside the Gyro spot.

This is some great original dumpster content here!!  Who here didn't immediately picture the difference!?  

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I know it's speculation, but spending money on bums like CarGo and Adam Jones is extremely counter productive.  

But it's SUCH a White Sox move. 

Since they’re not going to contend anyway, I half believe that Reinsdorf is taking one for the league.  “See?  The veteran free agents signed.  No reason to change the rules.”

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Balta perfectly explained why this is dumb.  There's not really much more to argue so I won't.  NRIs never workout with the Sox beyond a fluke April because this club's MLB scouting is dog shit.  This one won't either.  Unless it's a flame balling reliever with control problems their track record here is about zero.

This has Mat Latos 2.0 written all over it. 

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sure, and you lost the opportunity cost.  Look, nobody is going to argue this is a horrible, high risk move.  But WTF are they doing man?  Like, you can't find an Ian Clarkson to get batted around that's already on your 40 man?  You can't find a AAAA guy under 36 not coming off major surgery in a rebuild year?

The process is PUKE.

Clarkin...I think we’re all going insane, and the Padres are reaping all the benefits.  Agree about the process part.

At this rate, a Patricia Clarkson acting seminar might beat out Sox weeknight crowds in April/September.

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sure, and you lost the opportunity cost.  Look, nobody is going to argue this is a horrible, high risk move.  But WTF are they doing man?  Like, you can't find an Ian Clarkson to get batted around that's already on your 40 man?  You can't find a AAAA guy under 36 not coming off major surgery in a rebuild year?

The process is PUKE.

What opportunity cost? No risk with some reward. Nothing wrong with that.

I really don't see how people are upset about this move. If he somehow turns back into the good pitcher he was before, then we put him on the roster and maybe flip him when the deadline rolls around and we suck. If he is still terrible, then we leave him in the minors until there is that veteran opt out date thing in case someone gets injured. Basically the only way we are going to be paying him any substantial amount of money is if someone gets hurt or if he looks like he is actually worth the money.

I say the sox sign Adam Jones, Keuchel and Kimbrel and see what happens. They are never going to shell out for a major star. You would have a great bullpen, decent starters and a young offense. Sign Jones for 1 year, keuchel for 2 or 3 and same with Kimbrel. You still dont have a huge payroll, in the low 100 millions and you could trade some guys off later to cut payroll. It bridges the gap for the younger guys to develop and come up when ready and you can be competitive in a weak division. Its not like we need to save 30million per year for a Trout type player because we will never sign them.

Edited by pmb0928

9 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

I say the sox sign Adam Jones, Keuchel and Kimbrel and see what happens. They are never going to shell out for a major star. You would have a great bullpen, decent starters and a young offense. Sign Jones for 1 year, keuchel for 2 or 3 and same with Kimbrel. You still dont have a huge payroll, in the low 100 millions and you could trade some guys off later to cut payroll. It bridges the gap for the younger guys to develop and come up when ready and you can be competitive in a weak division. Its not like we need to save 30million per year for a Trout type player because we will never sign them.

I think it would be awful, but I wouldn’t be that surprised at this point. Never been super negative towards this front office and felt they turned a corner, but this offseason has just been terrible. 

Ervin is a fine milb deal guy. The $4.3M is whatever. But Hahn and Co have literally done nothing to improve this rebuild process this offseason. That’s the real bummer about the last week.

8 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

Nah, you are then just essentially getting a worse draft pick by still being 3rd or 4th in the division.  It's a complete waste.  What trade are you going to make for players on bloated salaries nobody wants in free agency? Pray for injuries for competing teams and hope these guys perform?  I'd rather just sink again for another year with what we have and grab another top 5 pick.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think it would be awful, but I wouldn’t be that surprised at this point. Never been super negative towards this front office and felt they turned a corner, but this offseason has just been terrible. 

Ervin is a fine milb deal guy. The $4.3M is whatever. But Hahn and Co have literally done nothing to improve this rebuild process this offseason. That’s the real bummer about the last week.

It would be two straight offseasons where a potential core asset wasn’t acquired. 

3 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Nah, you are then just essentially getting a worse draft pick by still being 3rd or 4th in the division.  It's a complete waste.  What trade are you going to make for players on bloated salaries nobody wants in free agency? Pray for injuries for competing teams and hope these guys perform?  I'd rather just sink again for another year with what we have and grab another top 5 pick.  

There you go thinking the Sox wont screw up a first round draft pick. I have no faith in our drafting whether its top 5 or #20.

I give zero fucks about signing a guy like Santana and flipping him for someone we hope is Ryan Cordell at the deadline. It really does nothing for us. I hold nothing against Santana. I'll root for him and hope he does well (because I'm tired of bad baseball) but at this point let our guys handle it and see if Stephens/Guerrero/ @Rowand44/Covey/Banuelos/ can handle anything til Cease comes up. We aren't competing for shit anyways.