Sox signing Ervin Santana (pending physical) to milb deal per WSD

Sleepy Harold

54 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’m all for not signing any vets and sucking/tanking...but someone needs to eat innings. Our pitching staff sucks now and that’s not factoring injuries or further sucking

Rondon

Lopez

Gio

Nova

?? Covey and Stephens. Am I missing someone? Because expecting 900+ innings out of those 5/6 is a pipe dream at best.  

Rodon....too many players with similar names.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can’t see either of those. CarGo would have nowhere to play and Jones can’t play CF now and Guyer is likely the Palka platoon.

Completely forgot about him...2-3 years too late, why the hell not.   Just like Ryan Raburn.  Of course Sox killers never actually do all that well on the White Sox for quite obvious reasons.

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

LOL, this front office is so damn predictable.  Kenny must be loving these additions.

Hahn "Kenny, everyone is mad we didn't get Machado.  I don't like this."

Kenny "Alright lets fallback to the old #3 of responses to look like we are doing something.  Look at this fine crop of 35 year olds.  Something is still in the tank.  Lets sign a few of them"

Hahn "We missed out on Machado by 50 million and we are about to spend damn near that"

Kenny "Well JR is okay with that because we got more of them for our version of 50 million instead of 1 guy for that.  More players equals more opportunities"

Hahn "Well if you say so.   The one guy in the analytics department is talking about negative war."

Kenny "That nerd never even took batting practice.  Let me worry about the talent you worry about that money stuff.  I think we are ready to go for it"

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“Rick Jr., off the computer again...your father can somehow manage to defend himself with his three elite degrees.”

On 1/24/2019 at 8:41 AM, caulfield12 said:

I’ll give you a like, just so you feel further empowered to add snark on most days.

That way, you can put it on your resume you have the most likes at SoxTalk.com, and I’m fairly sure that will be good for an extra $2000-3000 bump in your next salary negotiations.

• Haha 1

In my opinion, the Santana signing is a good one.  4.6 WAR in 2017, 3.9 the year before that.  He's had several years where he's hovered around the 3 mark.   Using the $9M/1WAR equation that everyone has been using for Harper and Machado estimates, that should put him in line for a 27-41M/year salary.  We got him for $4M--IF he makes the team.   

27 minutes ago, FT35 said:

In my opinion, the Santana signing is a good one.  4.6 WAR in 2017, 3.9 the year before that.  He's had several years where he's hovered around the 3 mark.   Using the $9M/1WAR equation that everyone has been using for Harper and Machado estimates, that should put him in line for a 27-41M/year salary.  We got him for $4M--IF he makes the team.   

He has a debilitating finger issue that required fairly involved surgery last year.  It's 50/50 if he can even make it through spring gripping a baseball.  This is a dumpster dive don't fool yourself.  And it's not a dumpster sitting outside in Park Slope or the Upper East Side it's a dumpster in a back alley in outer Queens outside the Gyro spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has a debilitating finger issue that required fairly involved surgery last year.  It's 50/50 if he can even make it through spring gripping a baseball.  This is a dumpster dive don't fool yourself.  And it's not a dumpster sitting outside in Park Slope or the Upper East Side it's a dumpster in a back alley in outer Queens outside the Gyro spot.

And if he proves he can't get through spring training, it is a minor league deal and you cut him before the season starts.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

And if he proves he can't get through spring training, it is a minor league deal and you cut him before the season starts.

Sure, and you lost the opportunity cost.  Look, nobody is going to argue this is a horrible, high risk move.  But WTF are they doing man?  Like, you can't find an Ian Clarkson to get batted around that's already on your 40 man?  You can't find a AAAA guy under 36 not coming off major surgery in a rebuild year?

The process is PUKE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The fun is going to be if he makes it through ST, you clear a 40 man roster spot for him, then the issue flares up in April. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sure, and you lost the opportunity cost.  Look, nobody is going to argue this is a horrible, high risk move.  But WTF are they doing man?  Like, you can't find an Ian Clarkson to get batted around that's already on your 40 man?  You can't find a AAAA guy under 36 not coming off major surgery in a rebuild year?

The process is PUKE.

With the pitchers they have now it is one of two things.  They aren't aren't ready, or they never will be ready.  I'd rather see Covey start, but the reality is that when you are looking at this rotation, we aren't going to see the same five guys all year long.  Guys are going to suck, get hurt, etc.  Covey will get his chances, as with Banuelos, and pretty much any of the other people getting pushed down by Santana.  Obviously no one thinks a bit of Stephens or Guerrero.  If the Sox did, they would have been on the 40 man roster.  If anyone else did, they would have picked them in the Rule 5 draft.  When you start looking at it on a granular level, there isn't anyone of consequence to really worry about.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the pitchers they have now it is one of two things.  They aren't aren't ready, or they never will be ready.  I'd rather see Covey start, but the reality is that when you are looking at this rotation, we aren't going to see the same five guys all year long.  Guys are going to suck, get hurt, etc.  Covey will get his chances, as with Banuelos, and pretty much any of the other people getting pushed down by Santana.  Obviously no one thinks a bit of Stephens or Guerrero.  If the Sox did, they would have been on the 40 man roster.  If anyone else did, they would have picked them in the Rule 5 draft.  When you start looking at it on a granular level, there isn't anyone of consequence to really worry about.

Balta perfectly explained why this is dumb.  There's not really much more to argue so I won't.  NRIs never workout with the Sox beyond a fluke April because this club's MLB scouting is dog shit.  This one won't either.  Unless it's a flame balling reliever with control problems their track record here is about zero.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I can’t see either of those. CarGo would have nowhere to play and Jones can’t play CF now and Guyer is likely the Palka platoon.

Fathom, take one second and search within yourself. Would you honestly put it past this FO to think Adam Jones is still a great CF?

And also if they sign any of these I may laugh all the way through the season. 

Edited by Sockin