Jump to content
Sleepy Harold

Sox signing Ervin Santana (pending physical) to milb deal per WSD

Recommended Posts

I am good with Yonder Hither but Jon Jay sounds like a lateral move at best to compete with Leery Garcia. Sounds like Ervin may be in recovery and we will see how he progresses in spring training. Put him in the 'if healthy' category. Sox are hoping Lightfoot Palka can out-step Avi in RF while they dole out DH duties to the other swingers. Palka Yonder and Abreu in the lineup could at least provide a little offense until Babe Ruth arrives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Heads22 said:

I give zero fucks about signing a guy like Santana and flipping him for someone we hope is Ryan Cordell at the deadline. It really does nothing for us. I hold nothing against Santana. I'll root for him and hope he does well (because I'm tired of bad baseball) but at this point let our guys handle it and see if Stephens/Guerrero/ @Rowand44/Covey/Banuelos/ can handle anything til Cease comes up. We aren't competing for shit anyways.

Gotta save my arm for kickball.  So I gotta take myself out of the running for the rotation, sorry everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EvilJester99 said:

It’s official and they brought in Preston Tucker.. oh the excitement!! 

 

Better than nothing. Can't just sit on the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Unknown said:

Better than nothing. Can't just sit on the money. 

Hahn has spent $45 million this offseason on a pile of mediocre 1-2 year stop-gaps which he said he wouldn’t do.  He also missed out on Machado by $50 million guaranteed.  It really isn’t better than nothing.  This offseason has been an epic failure.  It would be difficult to do worse than Hahn has this offseason.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Hahn has spent $45 million this offseason on a pile of mediocre 1-2 year stop-gaps which he said he wouldn’t do.  He also missed out on Machado by $50 million guaranteed.  It really isn’t better than nothing.  This offseason has been an epic failure.  It would be difficult to do worse than Hahn has this offseason.

I don't really think they are stop gaps. To me,  a stop gap is just plugging holes where needed and hoping they work. Here,  I think they are holding down positions until the spects are ready.  I don't know about you but i would much rather Jay be in that lineup than Engel and have Engel be a late inning defensive replacement. When Eloy gets here, you get him in Left, Jay in center and Palka in right with Leury being a nice platoon piece if he's healthy. 

Bench of Garcia, Engel, (defense primarily), Rondon and later in the season, Seby. Not too shabby all things considered.

Edited by Scoots
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I don't really think they are stop gaps. To me,  a stop gap is just plugging holes where needed and hoping they work. Here,  I think they are holding down positions until the spects are ready.  I don't know about you but i would much rather Jay be in that lineup than Engel and have Engel be a late inning defensive replacement. When Eloy gets here, you get him in Left, Jay in center and Palka in right with Leury being a nice platoon piece if he's healthy. 

Bench of Garcia, Engel, (defense primarily), Rondon and later in the season, Seby. Not too shabby all things considered.

Why?  Both guys will ultimately lead to a losing record.  What does it matter?  May as well give the AB’s to young players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

Why?  Both guys will ultimately lead to a losing record.  What does it matter?  May as well give the AB’s to young players.

While I would agree with this line of thinking during the first couple years of the rebuild, I think it’s time to move past that. One of the most overlooked parts of a rebuild is letting the young players learn how to win. It’s also another reason I am furious with the Machado debacle. I don’t think we would have been a playoff team with Manny, but I think he would have made guys like Moncada, Eloy, and TA even better. 

I don’t think Jay makes a huge impact, but I’d much rather have him in the lineup than Engel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Hahn has spent $45 million this offseason on a pile of mediocre 1-2 year stop-gaps which he said he wouldn’t do.  He also missed out on Machado by $50 million guaranteed.  It really isn’t better than nothing.  This offseason has been an epic failure.  It would be difficult to do worse than Hahn has this offseason.

It really is disgusting all these veteran stiffs he's bringing in. Acquiring Jay and Alonso is a fireable offense, it really is. Also the Davidson/Avi situation. Why have these guys as long as we had them and just dump them. They are big leaguers and were not blocking anybody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It really is disgusting all these veteran stiffs he's bringing in. Acquiring Jay and Alonso is a fireable offense, it really is. Also the Davidson/Avi situation. Why have these guys as long as we had them and just dump them. They are big leaguers and were not blocking anybody. 

Right, Avi is a better hitter than Jay, and costs less.  Alonso,,,,,where do I begin? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I like this signing if his finger is healed up. It’s just terrible timing right after missing on Machado but he’s a decent chance at avoiding a complete black hole at the 5th spot of the rotation.

Edited by TheTruth05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Honestly I like this signing if his finger is healed up. It’s just terrible timing right after missing on Machado but he’s a decent chance at avoiding a complete black hole at the 5th spot of the rotation.

I see your point, but what future benefit is derived from letting a 36 year old suck up innings for a team that’s going to lose 90+ games?  I guess you can argue Coop’s blood pressure or resisting bringing up Cease early, but I want to bring Cease up.  From what I saw in AA, he’d be our third best starter right now.  Sox used to bring up pitchers from AA all the time and had great success with it.  Buerhle never pitched an inning of AAA and neither did Quintana.  Sale was in the minors for like 5 minutes. If we have to lose, I would much rather watch young players get better than watch veterans get old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now with Santana signed. I feel like we’re just missing a couple of pieces before we compete. Any chance we sign CarGo, and/or Jones? Maybe check in on Kemp too? Would love an outfield of Jones, Kemp and CarGo.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Special K said:

Now with Santana signed. I feel like we’re just missing a couple of pieces before we compete. Any chance we sign CarGo, and/or Jones? Maybe check in on Kemp too? Would love an outfield of Jones, Kemp and CarGo.

The sad thing is, the AL Central is so weak, they could probably compete with a vetteran OFer added and if one of the veteran starters turns out to be serviceable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

The sad thing is, the AL Central is so weak, they could probably compete with a vetteran OFer added and if one of the veteran starters turns out to be serviceable. 

Ramirez and Lindor plus the top 3 of Cleveland’s rotation makes them pretty good.  Having someone take Alonso’s bad contract so they didn’t have to trade Kluber was key for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Ramirez and Lindor plus the top 3 of Cleveland’s rotation makes them pretty good.  Having someone take Alonso’s bad contract so they didn’t have to trade Kluber was key for them.

Well, getting rid of Encarnacion, Gomes, Brantley and Chisenhall, not to mention Miller and Allen...has helped, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Ramirez and Lindor plus the top 3 of Cleveland’s rotation makes them pretty good.  Having someone take Alonso’s bad contract so they didn’t have to trade Kluber was key for them.

Alonso may be a tad overpaid, but the dude makes $8M. It’s nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Alonso may be a tad overpaid, but the dude makes $8M. It’s nothing. 

Yeah.  No.  It was an important contract for them to dump.  Look at who gets paid what over there.  Almost $9 mil was important too them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah.  No.  It was an important contract for them to dump.  Look at who gets paid what over there.  Almost $9 mil was important too them.

Sure, it’s inoortant in the context that it’s $8M (his buyout is $1M). But it’s not some huge sum hamstringing any org, and it won’t prohibit teams from being interested trading for him this summer.  I bet Hahn could trade Alonso now if he wanted to, but I highly doubt we see them admit failure like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, it’s inoortant in the context that it’s $8M (his buyout is $1M). But it’s not some huge sum hamstringing any org, and it won’t prohibit teams from being interested trading for him this summer.  I bet Hahn could trade Alonso now if he wanted to, but I highly doubt we see them admit failure like that. 

If he attached something of value with him sure, but not for even a return comparable to Call, not with him limited to 1b/DH. There just aren't teams that need one of those right now, they're too easy to come by in the offseason. Wait until some team has a 1b that gets hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he attached something of value with him sure, but not for even a return comparable to Call, not with him limited to 1b/DH. There just aren't teams that need one of those right now, they're too easy to come by in the offseason. Wait until some team has a 1b that gets hurt. 

The market is about as limited as it was for James Shields last year....when you consider his position, his lifetime 740 OPS, his splits and the fact that he was terrible the 2nd half of last year.

Too bad the Padres already have invested $144 million into Hosmer, or we might find a taker, since he already spent four years of his career there in SD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×