Sox in on Denard Span

Sockin

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Getting Denard Span tells me that we are doing the same thing that we used to with Kenny in charge.  Aged vets who we once coveted are suddenly picked up when they are on their final legs.   

We did that in our half-assed attempts at competing.  Adding Span right now would be so fucking stupid and I don’t believe our front office would be that dumb.  For better or worse, Jay is the veteran OF and there is simply no room for another one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Getting Denard Span tells me that we are doing the same thing that we used to with Kenny in charge.  Aged vets who we once coveted are suddenly picked up when they are on their final legs.   

Hahn:  “Well Kenny, we missed out on Manny.  What’s next?”

Kenny:  “Don’t worry...  have you seen how many great free agents are left?!?  Span, Jones, CarGo!  These guys were studs and I know they still have some gas left in the tank!”

Hahn:  “I did tell the fans we wouldn’t be signing anymore stop-gap players.”

Kenny:  “Don’t worry about that.  Remember 2005?  It worked then.  That’s all the fans remember.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We did that in our half-assed attempts at competing.  Adding Span right now would be so fucking stupid and I don’t believe our front office would be that dumb.  For better or worse, Jay is the veteran OF and there is simply no room for another one.

But CWS, they ARE that dumb. Has 2015-16 and this offseason taught you nothing? Expect nothing more than utter incompetence and short-sighted moves. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Hahn:  “Well Kenny, we missed out on Manny.  What’s next?”

Kenny:  “Don’t worry...  have you seen how many great free agents are left?!?  Span, Jones, CarGo!  These guys were studs and I know they still have some gas left in the tank!”

Hahn:  “I did tell the fans we wouldn’t be signing anymore stop-gap players.”

Kenny:  “Don’t worry about that.  Remember 2005?  It worked then.  That’s all the fans remember.”

Denard Span fits right in line with Hahns “spread the money out among 10 terrible vets” philosophy

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

"don't believe our front office would be that dumb". Care to think about that for a second or two?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

But CWS, they ARE that dumb. Has 2015-16 and this offseason taught you nothing? Expect nothing more than utter incompetence and short-sighted moves. 

Like I said, if they were going for it then I could totally see it happening.  But even they know next year is a lost season (especially without Machado or Harper) and will want to give some playing time to younger guys.  

The irony here is Span actually hasn’t been that bad the last three seasons...I think it was around a 740-750 ops.   Especially compared to guys like Jay and Guyer.

Of course, then you step back for a second and realize how pathetic hoping and praying for 2fWAR performances out of 34 year old veterans is...it’s another version of 2013-16 all over again (just with slightly lesser names than Shark, Frazier, Cabrera, Dunn, Robertson and LaRoche.)

Keppinger-esque...or Bonifacio level.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The irony here is Span actually hasn’t been that bad the last three seasons...I think it was around a 740-750 ops.   Especially compared to guys like Jay and Guyer.

Of course, then you step back for a second and realize how pathetic hoping and praying for 2fWAR performances out of 34 year old veterans is...it’s another version of 2013-16 all over again (just with slightly lesser names than Shark, Frazier, Cabrera, Dunn, Robertson and LaRoche.)

Keppinger-esque...or Bonifacio level.

So then DEFINITELY something Rick will do, gotcha.

41 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Can't wait for Rick Hahn's #soxmath when he demonstrates that the Sox have spent the money they promised to spend.

Maybe Denard Span will be part of that equation.

White Sox are the team that goes broke in a dollar store.

It ain't even the dollar store, dude. At least the products you get there are brand new. The White Sox go broke at the Goodwill.

• Haha 1