Hahn quote from 12/4/2018

Moan4Yoan

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20181204/report-thome-talks-up-white-sox-with-bryce-harper

“The long term remains the priority. We aren't looking to do stopgap fixes, so to speak. In this free-agent market, there are potential opportunities to convert on premium talent that would fit along with what we're trying to develop for the long term.”

Nova, Alonso, Jay, McCann, Santana...  🙄

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I never thought for one minute  that the White Sox would sign a premium free agent. I've always thought that this rebuild/tanking would be done as cheaply as possible. White Sox fans just have to hope that these young players come through. This comes off to me as if the FO hopes these young guys start producing and if they don't, they don't. In the meantime JR and the investors are laughing all the way to the bank. The 2019 White Sox payroll is actually lower than what it was in 2009. And the franchise is bringing in more money than what it did in 2009. Say what you want about JR, but he sure knows how to make money.

10 minutes ago, daggins said:

Right, I believe that is where his head was at on Dec 4th. Then they cocked up the whole "adding premium talent" part and now they have to scramble to field even a mediocre squad.

How many times has Hahn also used the phrase “mired in mediocrity?”

Fraud is right.

http://www.ethicsandentrepreneurship.org/20090720/interview-with-jerry-reinsdorf/

That is a pretty awesome dig into the thoughts of one Jerry Reinsdorf.  Do a search and highlight of the phrase break even.   

Reinsdorf: First of all, if you want to be successful, you have to follow basic business principles. The problem in sports that keeps people from doing it is that every move is chronicled by the media. There are so many people who own teams who are afraid to be criticized by the media, so they make stupid decisions just to make the media happy. I, on the other hand, delight in doing what the media doesn’t want me to do. And that’s not a good trait either. You have to make your decisions without regard to what the media thinks. Sometimes they’re right, and sometimes they’re wrong.

Kaizen: Did you need to develop additional skills in order to make the transition from being in real estate to being head of a sports organization?

Reinsdorf: Not significantly. Being a CEO of a sports team is a lot like being a CEO of any other business. It’s not your job to perform the various tasks that are necessary to run the business. It’s your job to identify what positions have to be filled, and go out and get good people to do those jobs who can do them better than you can do them, and make sure that they talk to each other.

Kaizen: So you’re a human capital talent scout and developer in that respect?

Reinsdorf: Exactly. Any CEO essentially has to find good people to do the various jobs. I read a book once called The Time Trap, in which former [Illinois] Senator [Charles] Percy was quoted as saying the CEO has only three jobs: long-range planning, public relations, and identifying good people to work for him and making sure they talk to each other.

Reinsdorf: It’s a lot easier, first of all—I want to add one thing and I’ll get to that question. In regular business—if there’s one big difference—you try to make as much money as you can. When you’re running a sports business, what you really want to do is win and break even. So I’d rather win and break even than finish second and make a lot of money. But I don’t want to ever lose money. As far as your question—being competitive and winning is the best marketing tool you could possibly have.

Kaizen: Can any amount of business strategy make up for a team that’s not performing well?

Reinsdorf: Sure. You have to be smart enough to know when your team is not good. And when your team is not good, you’ve got to make sure you can control your costs really well.

Edited by southsideirish71