Abreu

Squirmin' for Yermin

Barring a catastrophic injury, Abreu is gonna get extended this year for sure. KW hinted at this in his comments on why they couldn't get to 300 million for Manny. He has been a loyal soldier and textbook example of someone that JR will reward. A three year extension in low 50s sounds about right. 

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

Now that we fell on our face and have no hope for 2019, it's time to trade Abreu.  There's literally no logically reason to keep him. It's time to move on and let him leave

Looking at the trade and free agent markets, Abreu has negative trade value. Similar players are worthless. 

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Barring a catastrophic injury, Abreu is gonna get extended this year for sure. KW hinted at this in his comments on why they couldn't get to 300 million for Manny. He has been a loyal soldier and textbook example of someone that JR will reward. A three year extension in low 50s sounds about right. 

Trying to save money which prevented us from signing Machado and then to extend Abreu is the most White Sox thing ever.

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 2

Even if he turns it around and has a strong year, a multi-year extension for Abreu is a bad idea and should not even be necessary as there's not going to be a multi-year deal for him from anyone next offseason. If a team wants a multi year deal for a 1b, Goldschmidt is a FA, and Justin Smoak is also available. If he has a good year, 1 year deals will be fine.

When the Sox draft Vaughn, that will also reduce their need for Abreu beyond 2020 as they'll push Vaughn rapidly.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Even if he turns it around and has a strong year, a multi-year extension for Abreu is a bad idea and should not even be necessary as there's not going to be a multi-year deal for him from anyone next offseason. If a team wants a multi year deal for a 1b, Goldschmidt is a FA, and Justin Smoak is also available. If he has a good year, 1 year deals will be fine.

When the Sox draft Vaughn, that will also reduce their need for Abreu beyond 2020 as they'll push Vaughn rapidly.

God dammit quit saying "when the Sox draft Vaughn" Those words make me sick. There HAS to be a better option in June. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

God dammit quit saying "when the Sox draft Vaughn" Those words make me sick. There HAS to be a better option in June. 

The way he's hitting, he belongs as a top 3-4 pick unless someone gets some serious helium. He's a college player and they always draft college players in the first, they can move him rapidly, at a position of need. It's going to happen, and it's not an obviously wrong decision. You come out of this draft with a Freddie Freeman/Paul Goldschmidt, you seriously strengthen your roster for years. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The way he's hitting, he belongs as a top 3-4 pick unless someone gets some serious helium. He's a college player and they always draft college players in the first, they can move him rapidly, at a position of need. It's going to happen, and it's not an obviously wrong decision. You come out of this draft with a Freddie Freeman/Paul Goldschmidt, you seriously strengthen your roster for years. 

This makes me depressed. Not that Vaughn is bad or anything, it is the combination of his position, his handedness, and where the Sox are picking. I'd have less of a problem with it if they were picking in the 7-10 range but at 3, it just grosses me out. I'd bet you there will be HS players picked in the teens that will end up being better players than Vaughn. I'd feel a little better about it if he hit L or S, but a 1B that bats R just sucks to me with the 3rd pick. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I think at this point they simply want to keep providing you new material in terms of total payroll committed to 1B/DH and the lack of fWAR return on their overall investment, especially from 2011onwards with the addition of Dunn and later LaRoche/Abreu.  Alonso belongs 100% to that Sox tradition of inefficient resource allocation.

We always say how EASY peezy it is to find production there and in LF, but never seemed to succeed at it.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

This makes me depressed. Not that Vaughn is bad or anything, it is the combination of his position, his handedness, and where the Sox are picking. I'd have less of a problem with it if they were picking in the 7-10 range but at 3, it just grosses me out. I'd bet you there will be HS players picked in the teens that will end up being better players than Vaughn. I'd feel a little better about it if he hit L or S, but a 1B that bats R just sucks to me with the 3rd pick. 

I'd venture to guess you've seen him play exactly zero times.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Looking at the trade and free agent markets, Abreu has negative trade value. Similar players are worthless. 

I don't agree. Players who had similar years with out a track record have negative trade value. Due to injury and a slow start Jose had a bad year.

Contending teams with a need for a bat will take a chance on a bounce back year, especially with a good guy like JA. Being on a contender might

have a positive effect on Jose when he plays in meaningful games for once.

24 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'd venture to guess you've seen him play exactly zero times.

This is such a ridiculous argument. I don't have access to Cal baseball, and even if I did I don't believe in the "eye test" unless hitters are using wood bats. All I need is BA/MLB pipeline, BP. And Fangraphs scouting reports to make an informed opinion. Those guys know how to translate from aluminum to  wood and I don't. So no matter what I'd see with my own eyes, I'd trust the real scouts who do this for a living over my eye test. 

When it comes to pitching it is a completely different story. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is such a ridiculous argument. I don't have access to Cal baseball, and even if I did I don't believe in the "eye test" unless hitters are using wood bats. All I need is BA/MLB pipeline, BP. And Fangraphs scouting reports to make an informed opinion. Those guys know how to translate from aluminum to  wood and I don't. So no matter what I'd see with my own eyes, I'd trust the real scouts who do this for a living over my eye test. 

When it comes to pitching it is a completely different story. 

So the odds are that 30/30 (at worst, 25/30) MLB GM's believe this guy is worthy of a top 5 pick but yeah you're right