Abreu

Squirmin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

So the odds are that 30/30 (at worst, 25/30) MLB GM's believe this guy is worthy of a top 5 pick but yeah you're right

I'm not saying that he's not worth the pick or anything like that, he's just a pick that goes against my philosophy. I wouldn't have picked Madrigal last year either. I disagree with the way the Sox draft in general. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not saying that he's not worth the pick or anything like that, he's just a pick that goes against my philosophy. I wouldn't have picked Madrigal last year either. I disagree with the way the Sox draft in general. 

I think to take a guy like Madrigal as high as they did, he has to have plus defense at SS to make up for his lack of power.  Hearing that his arm is too weak for SS is a bit disconcerting.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Eckstein was never anything close to the best pure hitter in his college class.  He’ll be fine, he’s probably the one aspect of this rebuild I’m least worried about busting.

I'm not worried about him busting per se, but he's definitely not worth a top 5 pick either. It depends on what he does. IMO he has to turn into Ichiro at 2B in order to be worth a top 5 pick. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

51 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not worried about him busting per se, but he's definitely not worth a top 5 pick either. It depends on what he does. IMO he has to turn into Ichiro at 2B in order to be worth a top 5 pick. 

That’s HoF numbers.  Even with the #3 pick, you’re looking at 1/50 or 1/75 in terms of Hall of Fame candidates over the entire history of the draft from that spot.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s HoF numbers.  Even with the #3 pick, you’re looking at 1/50 or 1/75 in terms of Hall of Fame candidates over the entire history of the draft from that spot.

I know. Maybe not that good, but he has to be hitting .320 every year. I can't find a way that he's acceptable without being a HOF level hitter. Because if he's not, he's just bad or below average at that point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know. Maybe not that good, but he has to be hitting .320 every year. I can't find a way that he's acceptable without being a HOF level hitter. Because if he's not, he's just bad or below average at that point. 

With his defense alone at 2B, he will be worth 1.5-2.0 alone...that’s if he was just a league average 2B offensively, because his defense is at Gold Glove level already, just not at SS due to arm limitations.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't think there's much reason to try to extend Abreu now considering how weak the market has been for 1B in both free agency and trades. You needlessly introduce risk that he declines this year and wastes your money when you know you won't have to break the bank to retain him if he has a really big year.