How bad is it being a Sox fan???

SonofaRoache

One word: Rebuild.

I wonder what this graph would look like a few years ago when the Astros were rebuilding, or the Royals, or the Cubs.

Not really sure what else you expected. Over a decade of losing will do that. 

The goal here, and the whole reason we are rebuilding right now, is to get out of that cellar and get some sustainable success. Consistent winning is the only thing that will reignite the excitement of the wider fanbase. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I wonder what this graph would look like a few years ago when the Astros were rebuilding, or the Royals, or the Cubs.

The goal here, and the whole reason we are rebuilding right now, is to get out of that cellar and get some sustainable success. Consistent winning is the only thing that will reignite the excitement of the wider fanbase. 

Well we sucked after rebuilds before. Unlike the Cubs, Royals, and Stros, we couldn't sustain success after our title. The evidence is damning. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Scoots said:

We're rebuilding now because the last rebuild never happened

Sickening

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

We're rebuilding now because the last rebuild never happened

Sickening

They should have rebuilt in the 2009-2010 offseason, when players like Dye and Konerko, and Quentin still had value. Danks could have been traded for a haul, and they have Sale in 2010 as a start. Even though they won 88 games in 2010, they should have blown it up anyway. It would have been nice to start then so they wouldn't have ended up wasting Sale and Q. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They should have rebuilt in the 2009-2010 offseason, when players like Dye and Konerko, and Quentin still had value. Danks could have been traded for a haul, and they have Sale in 2010 as a start. Even though they won 88 games in 2010, they should have blown it up anyway. It would have been nice to start then so they wouldn't have ended up wasting Sale and Q. 

Hard to argue at the time when Alexei, Jenks and Floyd were also solid...easier now in retrospect.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hard to argue at the time when Alexei, Jenks and Floyd were also solid...easier now in retrospect.

I thought that at the time. I wanted KW fired for not doing it because I thought it would lead to an entire decade of darkness. They had a lot of talent, but at the same time it was all aging and toward the back end of their primes, other than Danks/Floyd. To me, it was an easy call. 

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I thought that at the time. I wanted KW fired for not doing it because I thought it would lead to an entire decade of darkness. They had a lot of talent, but at the same time it was all aging and toward the back end of their primes, other than Danks/Floyd. To me, it was an easy call. 

Still, based on Alexei and Quentin’s level of play in 2008...not sure we could draw definite conclusions after just two seasons...we can only do that now, in retrospect.

Remember, we also added Dotel and Linebrink.

Beckham and Viciedo looked like future studs.

I just don’t remember anyone talking about rebuilding until Dunn’s season in 2011.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Still, based on Alexei and Quentin’s level of play in 2008...not sure we could draw definite conclusions after just two seasons...we can only do that now, in retrospect.

Remember, we also added Dotel and Linebrink.

Beckham and Viciedo looked like future studs.

I just don’t remember anyone talking about rebuilding until Dunn’s season in 2011.

They probably would have blown it up in 2010 if not for the 22-5 stretch in late May-June of that year. That run might have been the worst thing that happened to the Sox. 

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They probably would have blown it up in 2010 if not for the 22-5 stretch in late May-June of that year. That run might have been the worst thing that happened to the Sox. 

I think it was even 26-5...that was the May they almost blew it up and A.J. said to wait, they would turn it around.

Remember, they were also anticipating the additions of Sale and Viciedo.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If not for the lucky season of 05, it would be at least 10 times worse than it feels.

OTOH, they’d basically be forced to sign one of these two whales or risk losing viability of the franchise to even survive in Chicago...so SOMETHING would have to give in the next 2-3 years, one way or the other.

Because of 2005, there’s not nearly the same sense of urgency.  

They can make $50-75 million in profits without even opening the gates...just based on local and national as well as BAM media rights deals alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

OTOH, they’d basically be forced to sign one of these two whales or risk losing viability of the franchise to even survive in Chicago...so SOMETHING would have to give in the next 2-3 years, one way or the other.

Because of 2005, there’s not nearly the same sense of urgency.  

They can make $50-75 million in profits without even opening the gates...just based on local and national as well as BAM media rights deals alone.

This is why I say we need to embarrass them. Something like a staged walkout gets national headlines and the negative spotlight on them. They may not care about financial losses but these arrogant broom stick sitters have pride. 

• Like 1

It really sucks right now. Spring Training should bring renewed hope, but man this off season has sapped any energy I had. It all started when Kopech blew out his arm last year and it has been pretty bad since. Yes I like adding to the pen, but holy cow these bums they landed to "entice" Machado is clown shoes level stuff. Unless Rodon blossoms this year and Gio and Rey can finally become middle rotation or better pitchers and the pen backs them up, this season has the makings of a real dumpster fire. 

I guess I am saying, "there is a chance". LOL 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

It really sucks right now. Spring Training should bring renewed hope, but man this off season has sapped any energy I had. It all started when Kopech blew out his arm last year and it has been pretty bad since. Yes I like adding to the pen, but holy cow these bums they landed to "entice" Machado is clown shoes level stuff. Unless Rodon blossoms this year and Gio and Rey can finally become middle rotation or better pitchers and the pen backs them up, this season has the makings of a real dumpster fire. 

I guess I am saying, "there is a chance". LOL 

Whether the White Sox win 50 games this year or 100, we better see development from Gio, Rodon, Lopez, Moncada, Anderson, and hopefully Fulmer...the development of these guys (God willing) and call ups like Eloy and maybe Cease, Dunning, Zavala, Collins, Burdi will be our entertainment this year...Can't complain too much, just don't fuck it up

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Whether the White Sox win 50 games this year or 100, we better see development from Gio, Rodon, Lopez, Moncada, Anderson, and hopefully Fulmer...the development of these guys (God willing) and call ups like Eloy and maybe Cease, Dunning, Zavala, Collins, Burdi will be our entertainment this year...Can't complain too much, just don't fuck it up

50-112 for sure has to get Hahn and/or KW fired, right?

No way.

What about 49-113?  And the only players to actually perform well are the much-maligned veterans...before the trade deadline.

Nope, those masterful trades for riff-raff are still giving the front office hope they can compete in 2020 with a combination of premiere FA’s and Top 3 picks in 2019 and 2020.

36 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

@SonofaRoache, if it is so hard for you, go to Footlocker and buy a Yankees hat.  You have a troll handle and your posts scream PTSD or depression or both.  

Do we need another thread with your bs in it?

I'll be in Austin in three weeks. Let's settle this then, since you are triggered and want to disrespect me. 

And please find all these PTSD posts you speak of and compare them to everyone else. I'll wait Fuck boy. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

You can say the Sox got lucky to be so good in 2005, but they were also unlucky to not to make the playoffs the next year. They had the 7th most wins in MLB from 2005 to 2010 but only got 2 playoff appearances out of it, a time in which we had the best pitching staff in baseball. Every team ahead of us in that timespan made it least 3 times, all but one of them 4 or more times.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jake said:

You can say the Sox got lucky to be so good in 2005, but they were also unlucky to not to make the playoffs the next year. They had the 7th most wins in MLB from 2005 to 2010 but only got 2 playoff appearances out of it, a time in which we had the best pitching staff in baseball. Every team ahead of us in that timespan made it least 3 times, all but one of them 4 or more times.

2006 was rough, but 2008 we made it in a down year of 88 wins. The team has good runs every 5 to 8 years but can't seem to sustain things. We also have to factor in choking. We tried to choke a 15 game lead in 2005, choked in 2006, and a few more times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

The best pitching staff in baseball ended in May of 2006 when Contreras got hurt in Cincy.

Then we came back at the end of the decade with Floyd/Danks...but that 2008 season was just as much about Alexei and Quentin breaking out as stellar pitching.  I'd say we JUST got by with the additions of Linebrink and Dotel, enough to barely hold on coming down the stretch when everything seemed to be falling apart until that last week.

"Remember, this team has been garbage for 118 years. As once again evident below. It sucks to be us. "

Speak for yourself.  I have been happy and proud to be a Sox fan all my life and always will be.   I am very excited for Spring Training and the baseball season ahead.  If you can't enjoy watching baseball unless you root for the team that wins the World Series, find a new pastime. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2