2/24 Voldemort’s vs. ChiSox, 2 p.m.

caulfield12

Bernardo Flores vs. TBA

2 p.m.

Peoria, Arizona

On Deck: The Padres host the White Sox, 12 p.m. PT at Peoria Stadium. Starting rotation candidates Luis Perdomo and Jacob Nix will be among the Padres pitchers.

White Sox have to be elated this game’s not in Glendale...I think they have one more matchup, around March 6.  You know Hahn and KW wouldn’t especially enjoy the storylines.

Only coverage so far is KWFN FM, but I’d be shocked if MLB.com doesn’t pick it up if Machado and/or Tatis, Jr., are in the starting lineup. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-news-conference-padres

"It's about bringing a championship to San Diego," Preller said. "A lot of people over the last few years have been very patient as we've tried to build something that's going to stand up long term. Obviously, it's an exclamation point here today with the signing of Manny."

Judging solely by Friday's introductory press conference, it's pretty clear Machado did his homework. He's well-versed in the Padres' farm system, and he's willing to move back to third base to accommodate the pending arrival of Tatis, the top shortstop prospect in MLB and the No. 2 overall prospect per MLB Pipeline.

"It was just a perfect fit for us," Machado said. "Those young prospects that are in the top farm system in the game ... I know what they're going through. Whatever I can do to help them out in any way, that's what I'm going to do."

But the Padres' future isn't solely about the prospects. Big league vets like Eric Hosmer, Wil Myers and Austin Hedges are in San Diego for the long haul, too.

Machado is now easily the biggest star of that group, and he's probably the biggest offensive star in San Diego since Tony Gwynn. In seven big league seasons, Machado has already amassed 33.8 Wins Above Replacement -- higher than any other Padres player in history not named Gwynn.

"I'm truly blessed to be here. I'm truly blessed to be a part of this organization," Machado said. "Since day one, since we met you, we knew it was the right fit for me and my wife to be here. We're very excited to be here and start this new journey of our baseball career, our lives -- to take on that San Diego weather and take on this team."

As his introductory press conference came to an end, Machado was asked how much better he can get. He's only 26, after all. How much longer might the star third baseman be able to extend his prime?

"Ten more years," Machado said, breaking into a wide smile. "This is just the beginning. I still haven't reached my ceiling."

Historically speaking, neither have the Padres. But with Machado on board for the next decade, they just might.

Edited by caulfield12

• bmags pinned this topic

Now this is a starting lineup that Sox fans and their families/loved ones traveling over to Peoria will love...it’s like they’re almost deliberately trying to downplay it by putting out the very worst starting lineup that we’ll see all spring (hopefully).

Edited by caulfield12

27 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Drove 30 hours with my 93 year old dad...through two blizzards to get here...3 games in 3 days...and we get Goines at second base and Peterson at third first two games.  Fugging White Sox. 

That's brutal. But that's the risk you take when you go to spring training games.

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Good thing about Spring training is they sub in lots of guys.  Rutherford already in...and I'm in my shorts in the sun.  

Rutherfold is in because Palka had hamstring tightness, so they pulled him early. At least thats what mlb.com is showing

7 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Rutherfold is in because Palka had hamstring tightness, so they pulled him early. At least thats what mlb.com is showing

Yes...but yesterday it was Eloy,  Anderson and the garbagetones...But Collins came in and Rutherford and Lugo...so at least something.  

Rutherford with 3 hits now...although the Pads’ announcers have him down for 4/4.

They also keep bringing up how much Alonso and Jay helped in recruiting Manny to the Padres’ Organization.

White Sox 0-3 now, game ovah.  

Conclusion:  Chase Rutherford is our Bryce Harper, or at least Ryan Sweeney.

Edited by caulfield12