Carter Capps?

ChiSoxJon

Only name I'm interested in is Capps

https://www.mlb.com/news/fun-players-on-free-agent-market

Seems to be an effective guy I'd like to see under Cooper, only 28, and probably cheap, worth a flier to me

Flip him at the deadline...would have made more sense if CWS was ready to contend (As would the Herrera, Colome, and Alonso moves)

Off topic, while I like Herrera and Colome, one thing the Sox are not short on is relievers (Burdi, Hamilton, Fry, Burr, Bummer, Johnson, Vieria, Ruiz, Johnson, Frare, Kodi, Thompson, Fulmer?, Guerrero?, Adams?)...Almost as deep as their SP and OF units

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

In what way does Jon Jay take a spot from developing prospects

I would give Jon Jay’s at bats to any outfielder in AA or AAA. Jay serves no purpose here. It would be different if we were trying to show improvement and get to .500 or something but we’re not. We aren’t competing in 2019 so what does he do for us?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I would give Jon Jay’s at bats to any outfielder in AA or AAA. Jay serves no purpose here. It would be different if we were trying to show improvement and get to .500 or something but we’re not. We aren’t competing in 2019 so what does he do for us?

He fills a massive hole and makes the team watchable. It benefits nobody for the team to be horrible. I would think our experiences with players like Gordon Beckham and Carson Fulmer should make it clear that putting an unprepared minor leaguer in the majors can permanently ruin his development. The Sox had negative WAR in their outfield last season and it's not exactly great for our young pitchers to have a bunch of Palkas out there every day catching their fly balls.

6 minutes ago, Jake said:

He fills a massive hole and makes the team watchable. It benefits nobody for the team to be horrible. I would think our experiences with players like Gordon Beckham and Carson Fulmer should make it clear that putting an unprepared minor leaguer in the majors can permanently ruin his development. The Sox had negative WAR in their outfield last season and it's not exactly great for our young pitchers to have a bunch of Palkas out there every day catching their fly balls.

😳

Jon Jay doesn’t make any major league team watchable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

The windup is just so obnoxious

Probably be the most interesting part of our season

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Find me an innings eater with upside that we wouldn't have to trade prospects for .

Bucholz, Clay

2 hours ago, Jake said:

In what way does Jon Jay take a spot from developing prospects

Rather see Palka, Nicky D, Engel, Leury, Eloy, Cordell, Tilson, etc. over Jon fucking Jay

Would have preferred to see Call and Avi too FWIW

21 minutes ago, Jake said:

Jon Jay doesn't not add anything to this team except a cool Miami chain, literally gave a NRI guy over a million

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Bucholz, Clay

Rather see Palka, Nicky D, Engel, Leury, Eloy, Cordell, Tilson, etc. over Jon fucking Jay

Jon Jay doesn't not add anything to this team except a cool Miami chain, literally gave a NRI guy over a million

You mean $3 million too much...?

3 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Hey Chet , why don't you have a hot sleeping lady for your picture?

19 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Bucholz, Clay

If Clay Buchholz is your answer for an innings eater then I seriously question your baseball knowledge. How in the hell is Buchholz an innings eater ? Do you even bother to look at his innings pitched the last few years ?

2018 Age 33 98.1 IP His season didn't start till May 20th and ended  Sept 13th because of a  flexor mass strain, the same area of his arm which brought an end to Buchholz’s 2017 campaign. It ended his season prematurely again, although unlike last time, there was no apparent need for surgery: rest and an injection of platelet-rich plasma to help the healing process was the prescribed treatment .

2017 Age 32  7.1 IP  missed nearly the entire 2017 season with the Phillies due to a partial tear in the flexor tendon in his right arm.

You do know an innings eater should actually eat innings  at the minimum 150 IP per year for at least a few years in a row.

He hasn't pitched that many since 2014. His pitching elbow is an injury waiting to happen. How the hell do you think Buchholz is an innings eater ?

Now to see the definition of an innings eater go look at Ivan Nova innings pitched stats just so you know for next time.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If Clay Buchholz is your answer for an innings eater then I seriously question your baseball knowledge. How in the hell is Buchholz an innings eater ? Do you even bother to look at his innings pitched the last few years ?

2018 Age 33 98.1 IP His season didn't start till May 20th and ended  Sept 13th because of a  flexor mass strain, the same area of his arm which brought an end to Buchholz’s 2017 campaign. It ended his season prematurely again, although unlike last time, there was no apparent need for surgery: rest and an injection of platelet-rich plasma to help the healing process was the prescribed treatment .

2017 Age 32  7.1 IP  missed nearly the entire 2017 season with the Phillies due to a partial tear in the flexor tendon in his right arm.

You do know an innings eater should actually eat innings  at the minimum 150 IP per year for at least a few years in a row.

He hasn't pitched that many since 2014. His pitching elbow is an injury waiting to happen. How the hell do you think Buchholz is an innings eater ?

Now to see the definition of an innings eater go look at Ivan Nova innings pitched stats just so you know for next time.

Not an innings eater, but could still be a solid buy low addition to the rotation?

If your definition of an innings eater is 150 innings at least, then you can easily get by with a cheap, veteran on an MLB deal, a couple of MLB vets on minor league deals for depth in case the other guy gets hurt, and/or the Jordan Stephens and Jordan Guerreros of the world to give them a look at the MLB level. Assuming his finger is fine, Santana should be a decent innings eater himself. I don't expect much out of Nova and expect him to be cut for Cease in July/August personally.

Honestly, I would prefer James Shields for a couple mill over Nova. Shields even pitches more and will go at least 6 even if he's given up 4-5 runs.

Edited by soxfan2014