A Fun Game To Play- Who Won The Trades? Gio Gonzalez

jasonxctf

Thought this would be a fun thread to start. Who Won The Trade?

Trade #1- Sox send Gio Gonzalez, Daniel Hagwood and Aaron Rowand to the Phillies for Jim Thome and Cash.

Gonzalez and Hagwood never pitch for the Phillies.  Rowand plays (2) years, hits .290 with 39HR and 136RBI.

Thome plays (4) years for the Sox. Hits .265 with 134 HR and 369 RBI.

Trade #2- Sox send Freddy Garcia to the Phillies for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez.

Garcia only makes 11 starts for the Phillies going 1-5 with a 5.90ERA. Gonzalez never pitches for the Sox. Floyd goes 63-65 with a 4.22 ERA in 168 starts.

Trade #3- Sox trade Gonzalez, Fautino De Los Santos and Ryan Sweeney to the A's for Nick Swisher.

Gonzalez goes 38-32 with a 3.93 ERA in (4) seasons for the A's.  De Los Santos goes 3-2 with a 4.21 ERA in (2) RP seasons. Sweeney hits .286 with 13 HR and 159RBI over (4) seasons with the A's.  Swisher plays (1) season for the Sox, hitting .219 with 24HR and 69RBI's before being traded to the NYY.

Interestingly, if the Phillies hadn't traded Gio away the second time, the value both teams would have gotten in the first trade seems pretty close. Thome had a short but incredible stint for the White Sox, but Rowand was outstanding for the 2007 Phillies (broke his face chasing a ball in 2006). The Phillies also got a sandwich pick when Rowand left. 2 years of Rowand and 6 of Gio would have been pretty fair compensation for 4 years of Thome, especially since Thome was pretty well paid and the White Sox took on that contract.

The thome trade obviously worked out for sox and then some (he is still one of my favorite white sox ever), but I laugh when I think about that trade in today's lens. You mean to tell me the sox traded their starting center fielder and top pitching prospect for an expensive, 35 year old DH whose previous year had only played a third of the season with a bad back and was terrible in those 50 games?

What are you thinking! 

Looking at some of the ages of players that the sox successfully traded for and produced is wild.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Interestingly, if the Phillies hadn't traded Gio away the second time, the value both teams would have gotten in the first trade seems pretty close. Thome had a short but incredible stint for the White Sox, but Rowand was outstanding for the 2007 Phillies (broke his face chasing a ball in 2006). The Phillies also got a sandwich pick when Rowand left. 2 years of Rowand and 6 of Gio would have been pretty fair compensation for 4 years of Thome, especially since Thome was pretty well paid and the White Sox took on that contract.

I think the Phils paid for some of what Thome was owed.