Outfield Moves if No Harper

hogan873

Outfield Moves if No Harper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. If the Sox do not sign Harper, what move should they make for the outfield?

• Sign Adam Jones
    • Sign CarGo
    • Sign Denard Span
    • Trade for Joc Pederson
    • Nothing - Roll with what they have
    • Other - be specific

I was thinking about this over the weekend.  If the Sox don't miraculously sign Harper, should they make any other moves for the outfield?  I'm torn.  I don't see a ton of value in signing a veteran unless possibly hoping for some production that could be used to trade at the deadline, or adding that veteran for stability.  I'm not too excited about the Sox current outfield outside of Eloy when he comes up.

What does SoxTalk think?

I voted for roll with what you have, unless the price for joc is as low as some speculated earlier. I just don't see it. The guy makes $5 million and put up a 2.7 fWAR and is projected around the same. I think the package the Sox were rumored to send back was more than a little light. It wouldn't be worth giving up something more valuable for him for at least one, if not two non contending years.

They have to see what they have with their current players. Don't sign anyone who could block Palka/Delmonico/Cordell/Engel/whoever. It's likely none of those players amount to much but on the off-chance one does you would never see it signing a mediocre veteran who likely won't be much better. They need to lose now and lose until their minor leaguers start to produce. Once that happens you can look at filling holes with short-term acquisitions.

Think about the pitchers!! Why won't anybody think about the pitchers? RF defense with Palka there would be absolutely brutal. Singles would become doubles, doubles triples, and even outs could become doubles or triples. You can add a half run to everyone's ERA with Palka in RF. That is why I'm ok with CarGo. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Think about the pitchers!! Why won't anybody think about the pitchers? RF defense with Palka there would be absolutely brutal. Singles would become doubles, doubles triples, and even outs could become doubles or triples. You can add a half run to everyone's ERA with Palka in RF. That is why I'm ok with CarGo. 

FIP should help control for that. I agree it sucks making pitchers labor more with bad outfield play but at this point I'm more worried about finding actual good pitching instead of losing half a run to ERA from a bad RF.

I voted for roll with what they have. Considering the strike out on top players, I'd be open to trading for Joc depending on cost. If it's what someone said (fulmer, something something), it's a buy low and offers chance for sox to negotiate in only place they are effective...when there are no other bidders. 

I like Joc's talent a lot, and if you have a plethora of good outfielders, then you have a great outfield with a perfect platoon bat. You can let joc prove if he can CF or not, and if he is a true CFer, you can trade him having proved his value again.

Now, that package seemed incredible at time, but I guess possible when they just wanted to get rid of a redundancy with pollock? Now I would assume what "gets it done" may include a basabe and I'm not really interested in trading that away.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I like Palka a lot...as a hitter.  But you're right about the defense.  That's why I wouldn't be against adding someone...only if the price was low.

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I like Palka a lot...as a hitter.  But you're right about the defense.  That's why I wouldn't be against adding someone...only if the price was low.

If they're going to roll with Eloy, Jay and Palka in the OF.....That's just brutal. You almost have to start Engel in CF, and it makes me want to barf just typing that. The OF defense is a joke right now. An absolute joke. And that is an understatement. They have HS quality D in the OF right now. It is just a fucking joke. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't about the hitters it's about the pitchers. 

It won’t make enough of a difference to affect the pitchers’ development. Might affect their ERAs a bit, make them throw a few more pitches here and there, but they’ll need to tough through that if they’re going to eventually be good anyway.

Jones/CarGo aren’t good OFers either at this stage of their careers. 

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

It won’t make enough of a difference to affect the pitchers’ development. Might affect their ERAs a bit, make them throw a few more pitches here and there, but they’ll need to tough through that if they’re going to eventually be good anyway.

Jones/CarGo aren’t good OFers either at this stage of their careers. 

What if they get hurt throwing more pitches? 

Only guy I would take is cargo. And that's if we didn't have yonder. So its a moot point. And people need to stop the release jon jay shit. Sox already have a crappy rep. That's something you don't do. You don't sign a guy to attract his buddy and just because you missed you take it out on him. Jay is not a horrible player. Not an all star but a solid role player. You need those on a young team. It ain't his fault this team is ran by a bunch of jack wagons....

Edited by JoshPR

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That hurts their development. The issue is that poor OF defense could affect the ability of the young pitching staff to, you know, complete 5-6 innings. 

The amount of innings they complete is irrelevant — it’s an arbitrary number the pitcher can’t control. It’s about the amount of effective pitches they can throw. It’s about building mental and physical endurance. 

If Lopez throws 100 great pitches, but only gets through four because Palka ran the wrong direction on a pop up, it’s a still positive outing. If that leads to the bullpen being taxed, well then we call up fucking Chris Volstad again.

Unfortunately, the W’s just don’t matter yet. 

Edited by Eminor3rd