Outfield Moves if No Harper

hogan873

Outfield Moves if No Harper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. If the Sox do not sign Harper, what move should they make for the outfield?

• Sign Adam Jones
    • Sign CarGo
    • Sign Denard Span
    • Trade for Joc Pederson
    • Nothing - Roll with what they have
    • Other - be specific

Picked trade for Joc, but not limited to just Joc...there are some other interesting names that could be had, Nick Williams if the Phils sign Harper comes to mind. 

But expecting our FO to do something creative is probably just misguided thinking. They will likely sign an old guy that won’t work out. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know I'm in the minority, but.....I can't bear the thought of Palka in RF. That is more disgusting to me than wasting 5-7M on a 1-year deal for CarGo or Jones. 

For my two cents, it depends what the scouting thinks of Palka.  If they really think there is a chance his bat could play and his D could catch up, I want him playing.  If they think he is a dude that will either get exploited, or will never play a position, I don't care about him.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For my two cents, it depends what the scouting thinks of Palka.  If they really think there is a chance his bat could play and his D could catch up, I want him playing.  If they think he is a dude that will either get exploited, or will never play a position, I don't care about him.

That's where I'm at. I'd rather give him the DH at bats this year over Alonso, not because I think he could be a long term solution, but to be flippable in a trade for a team that needs a LH power bat at DH. I think Eloy is the long-term DH, tbh. He's only playing the field until better fielders are ready. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's where I'm at. I'd rather give him the DH at bats this year over Alonso, not because I think he could be a long term solution, but to be flippable in a trade for a team that needs a LH power bat at DH. I think Eloy is the long-term DH, tbh. He's only playing the field until better fielders are ready. 

From what I saw it is way too early to say that.  His defense definitely improved as the season went on.  Now the Sox might know something that we don't about him which tells them differently, but from my point of view, I want him in the OF unless Bryce himself walks through the door.l

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

From what I saw it is way too early to say that.  His defense definitely improved as the season went on.  Now the Sox might know something that we don't about him which tells them differently, but from my point of view, I want him in the OF unless Bryce himself walks through the door.l

Agree. But ultimately for me its if he can make as much progress in discipline as matt davidson made last year, I believe in his power is just this much better that he can become a plus offensive player.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

In LF sure. Not in RF under any circumstances. You can hide a shitty defender in LF. You can't in RF. 

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Do we know for sure he won't be in LF? Is Eloy 100% playing LF when he comes up?

I hate moving players unnecessarily and I think Eloy is likely to remain in LF for several years, so I'd much rather have Palka struggle in RF and Eloy struggle in LF than start Eloy in RF and move him to LF once Alonso is out of the way.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I hate moving players unnecessarily and I think Eloy is likely to remain in LF for several years, so I'd much rather have Palka struggle in RF and Eloy struggle in LF than start Eloy in RF and move him to LF once Alonso is out of the way.

Eloy has played a decent amount of RF. He's played more LF for sure. Do we know if he is bad in RF? I'm actually asking because I don't know.

14 minutes ago, RickinIndiana said:

Not sure why everyone, okay not everyone, is so in love with Palka.  His offensive game is swing really hard in case you hit it.  He has no defensive position, no bat to ball skills, etc.  I don't get it.

Before an injury shortened 2017 season, his minor league numbers suggest that he is a guy who is capable of drawing some walks at about a 10% clip (not great but not bad either). Last year in the majors, he was at about 6%. I'm willing to give him another year to see what he is. Heck, his power alone warrants it.

Edit: yes, he's likely nothing special. But if he hits for enough power, I don't mind him hitting 6th or 7th in the DH spot after all the other key pieces.

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, RickinIndiana said:

Not sure why everyone, okay not everyone, is so in love with Palka.  His offensive game is swing really hard in case you hit it.  He has no defensive position, no bat to ball skills, etc.  I don't get it.

Counting Alonso as the DH, the White Sox are going to have taken on contracts worth nearly $90 million to cover the DH position in the last 10 years - saved a little when LaRoche retired. That is a ridiculous amount of money for the DH, especially since they haven't spent on that position the last 2 years and they went cheap with Kotsay 10 years ago. If I can get a lefty who hits 6th or 7th in my lineup and who is a threat to hit 40 homers every year, and he covers that DH position cheaply for 3-4 seasons, and all he does is give me 1 WAR out of that spot and keeps me from having to spend $10 million on an ancient veteran to fill the role, that's a solid plus to me, and it doesn't take much from Palka to make that happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy is just bad. Fangraphs had a scathing report on his D, and they see him as a DH very soon.  

If you're talking about the ZiPS projections I wouldn't worry about that at all. I don't even know where he gets minor defense projections from, but they probably aren't anything approaching exact and I'm sure he would tell you that as well.

All actual prospect publications talk about him being about average in LF right now. His value is definitely going to be tied to his bat, but he'll probably be better than Palka and Delmonico from day one in LF.

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

If you're talking about the ZiPS projections I wouldn't worry about that at all. I don't even know where he gets minor defense projections from, but they probably aren't anything approaching exact and I'm sure he would tell you that as well.

All actual prospect publications talk about him being about average in LF right now. His value is definitely going to be tied to his bat, but he'll probably be better than Palka and Delmonico from day one in LF.

Fangraphs had him at 8 OA because they think he's a DH. I'm talking about McDaniel and Longenhagen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1