Outfield Moves if No Harper

hogan873

Outfield Moves if No Harper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. If the Sox do not sign Harper, what move should they make for the outfield?

• Sign Adam Jones
    • Sign CarGo
    • Sign Denard Span
    • Trade for Joc Pederson
    • Nothing - Roll with what they have
    • Other - be specific

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

If you're talking about the ZiPS projections I wouldn't worry about that at all. I don't even know where he gets minor defense projections from, but they probably aren't anything approaching exact and I'm sure he would tell you that as well.

All actual prospect publications talk about him being about average in LF right now. His value is definitely going to be tied to his bat, but he'll probably be better than Palka and Delmonico from day one in LF.

They also had him DH because of nagging injuries. I really find scouts info on hitting projections and pitching projections seriously, I find body projections short of adding power, health and defense reports less seriously. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RickinIndiana said:

Not sure why everyone, okay not everyone, is so in love with Palka.  His offensive game is swing really hard in case you hit it.  He has no defensive position, no bat to ball skills, etc.  I don't get it.

He can hit the absolute crap out of the ball and that's a good skill. If he can smooth his deficiencies to average then you have one elite skill carrying the player and that's good!

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fangraphs had him at 8 OA because they think he's a DH. I'm talking about McDaniel and Longenhagen. 

Was this in the podcast? I don't see anything in their write-up about moving to DH.

I like those guys and it's nice to have so much stuff accessible to the public for free, but that's just one (or two lol) opinion.

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I was thinking about this over the weekend.  If the Sox don't miraculously sign Harper, should they make any other moves for the outfield?  I'm torn.  I don't see a ton of value in signing a veteran unless possibly hoping for some production that could be used to trade at the deadline, or adding that veteran for stability.  I'm not too excited about the Sox current outfield outside of Eloy when he comes up.

What does SoxTalk think?

If anything, I'd like to cut Jay now that Machado isn't here. I don't see a point of adding veterans. 

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

Denard Span would be amazing.

You're joking with this, right?

Denard Span of 7-8 years ago would be amazing...not a 34 year old veteran who can't reliably play CF anymore.

We don't need any more corner outfielders who aren't going to be part of the next playoff roster, period, the end.

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

We already acquired Colome but you want ‘ol graybeard too?

356DBAEA-ACBF-4A0B-88E9-84412537533D.jpeg

On the plus side, Denard can always get work as a "fill-in/sub" for Morgan on The Walking Dead when he lets his beard grow out...or King Ezekiel at the very least.

If all that fails to materialize, Chris Paul as Uncle Drew or Don Cheadle.