103 mph screwball

Eloy opening day if he earns it

If Eloy earns the starting job this spring, honor the player and have him start opening day in Chicago.   I know about the service time.  Do you want to attract free agents?  Treat your people well.  Pay them what they are worth.  Give them what they earn even if you have the upper hand.  If Eloy earns it, respect him and maybe he respects you when he becomes a free agent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, 103 mph screwball said:

Then plan on him leaving.  Don't get too attached.

Every single team in major league baseball would do the same thing that the White Sox and the Blue Jays are going to do.  Every. Single. One.

Eloy may not like it, but I doubt he's going to hang it over the Sox heads 7 years down the line.  If he is as good as people hope he is, he isn't resigning with the  Sox anyhow.

The Sox also reportedly offered Eloy a contract extension late last summer and would have brought him up then.  He, understandably, rejected that.  So, it was partially his call. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

They obviously should and the potential blowback from doing this is not worth risking. See how Bryant isn't forgetting what the Cubs did to him? But people have made up their minds about it and this thread is just going to get you lampooned even though you're ultimately correct.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

If Eloy earns the starting job this spring, honor the player and have him start opening day in Chicago.   I know about the service time.  Do you want to attract free agents?  Treat your people well.  Pay them what they are worth.  Give them what they earn even if you have the upper hand.  If Eloy earns it, respect him and maybe he respects you when he becomes a free agent.

This is stupid. Literally every team does/would do the same. 

They don’t want to attract free agents. 

Hold him down — they need every extra minute they can get if they’re ever going to have a prayer. 

14 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

So you just haven't been following the last few offseasons (or really any offseason for that matter)? 

You know what attracts free agents? I'll give you one guess. (Hint, it's not Jon Jay and Yonder Alonso)

• Haha 1

Less about attracting free agents and more about preserving some sort of morale in the clubhouse. Or you know, actually trying to win some baseball games instead of constantly punting until the next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

It goes beyond Eloy.  All players will take notice.

All players know that organizations do this. It's not exactly breaking news or something new.

1 minute ago, KiwiSox said:

Less about attracting free agents and more about preserving some sort of morale in the clubhouse. Or you know, actually trying to win some baseball games instead of constantly punting until the next year.

Yeah, winning 71 games this season instead of 68 is going to be a BIG deal in 2024.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What player that has fallen victim to this has left their team and used this as the basis? 

Nobody yet, but Kris Bryant is rumored to not be interested in re-signing with the Cubs under any circumstances due to it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Nobody yet, but Kris Bryant is rumored to not be interested in re-signing with the Cubs under any circumstances due to it. 

Source? I'm sure he would if they pay him the most...

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, winning 71 games this season instead of 68 is going to be a BIG deal in 2024.

At what point do the Sox just give up on this mentality of "aw shucks we cant win anyways" and go for it?

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What player that has fallen victim to this has left their team and used this as the basis? 

It's a fallacy created by those that can't separate their fandom from logic. 

Fans should be screaming, and rightfully so, if the Sox came out and said "We want Eloy Jimenez up on the big club NOW, during these two meaningless, cold weeks in a rebuilding season. Screw the extra year of control during our potential competitive window." 

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Source? I'm sure he would if they pay him the most...

If they offer him the most money on the open market I'm sure he'd come back, but he's clearly not doing them the favor of agreeing to an extension and the control time games are clearly a reason why.

I agree.  Treat your people well.  

Then make a big announcement saying something like, “We could never leave a qualified player down in the minors just to grab a year of control- we wouldn’t be able to get a good night’s sleep or live with ourselves if we weren’t honest people.  Ask yourself, how would you like it if somebody stole a year of your life selfishly like that.”   

Throwing that much shit on the cubs right now while they are currently dealing with tough PR issues might be worth the millions of dollars lost. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Tony said:

It's a fallacy created by those that can't separate their fandom from logic. 

Fans should be screaming, and rightfully so, if the Sox came out and said "We want Eloy Jimenez up on the big club NOW, during these two meaningless, cold weeks in a rebuilding season. Screw the extra year of control during our potential competitive window." 

Logically, I agree. I think you're going to see these players hit the open market under almost every circumstance though. If you bring them up when they're ready, they might be more amenable to an extension. You screw them, they're going to FA no matter what. If you want to pay up, be my guest, but they won't re-sign before testing FA.