Eloy opening day if he earns it

103 mph screwball

If Eloy earns the starting job this spring, honor the player and have him start opening day in Chicago.   I know about the service time.  Do you want to attract free agents?  Treat your people well.  Pay them what they are worth.  Give them what they earn even if you have the upper hand.  If Eloy earns it, respect him and maybe he respects you when he becomes a free agent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, 103 mph screwball said:

Then plan on him leaving.  Don't get too attached.

Every single team in major league baseball would do the same thing that the White Sox and the Blue Jays are going to do.  Every. Single. One.

Eloy may not like it, but I doubt he's going to hang it over the Sox heads 7 years down the line.  If he is as good as people hope he is, he isn't resigning with the  Sox anyhow.

The Sox also reportedly offered Eloy a contract extension late last summer and would have brought him up then.  He, understandably, rejected that.  So, it was partially his call. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

They obviously should and the potential blowback from doing this is not worth risking. See how Bryant isn't forgetting what the Cubs did to him? But people have made up their minds about it and this thread is just going to get you lampooned even though you're ultimately correct.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

If Eloy earns the starting job this spring, honor the player and have him start opening day in Chicago.   I know about the service time.  Do you want to attract free agents?  Treat your people well.  Pay them what they are worth.  Give them what they earn even if you have the upper hand.  If Eloy earns it, respect him and maybe he respects you when he becomes a free agent.

This is stupid. Literally every team does/would do the same. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What player that has fallen victim to this has left their team and used this as the basis? 

Nobody yet, but Kris Bryant is rumored to not be interested in re-signing with the Cubs under any circumstances due to it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Source? I'm sure he would if they pay him the most...

If they offer him the most money on the open market I'm sure he'd come back, but he's clearly not doing them the favor of agreeing to an extension and the control time games are clearly a reason why.

I agree.  Treat your people well.  

Then make a big announcement saying something like, “We could never leave a qualified player down in the minors just to grab a year of control- we wouldn’t be able to get a good night’s sleep or live with ourselves if we weren’t honest people.  Ask yourself, how would you like it if somebody stole a year of your life selfishly like that.”   

Throwing that much shit on the cubs right now while they are currently dealing with tough PR issues might be worth the millions of dollars lost. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Tony said:

It's a fallacy created by those that can't separate their fandom from logic. 

Fans should be screaming, and rightfully so, if the Sox came out and said "We want Eloy Jimenez up on the big club NOW, during these two meaningless, cold weeks in a rebuilding season. Screw the extra year of control during our potential competitive window." 

Logically, I agree. I think you're going to see these players hit the open market under almost every circumstance though. If you bring them up when they're ready, they might be more amenable to an extension. You screw them, they're going to FA no matter what. If you want to pay up, be my guest, but they won't re-sign before testing FA. 

3 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

If they offer him the most money on the open market I'm sure he'd come back, but he's clearly not doing them the favor of agreeing to an extension and the control time games are clearly a reason why.

They tried to sign him to an extension last year. I assume it would have brought him into the majors last year up until the same year of free agency he's on pace for. Would have just kept him arb numbers lower than what he would get going year to year.

While the Sox probably dont look too bad for leaving him down since its fairly standard practice in MLB (at least for now...), they would get a lot of positive coverage for letting him up. Since the tenor around the Sox at this moment is one of absolute dread it may not be a bad idea to add a little positive momentum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

You realize Kris Bryant didn't just have Scott Boras assigned to him or something, right? When you chose Scott Boras to rep you as your agent, you are only interested in one thing. And rightfully so. 

If I were a baseball player, Scott Boras would be my agent. Hands down. I don't ever begrudge a player for getting theirs. Ever. 

• Haha 1