Eloy opening day if he earns it

103 mph screwball

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

There you go believing the Twittersphere again. 

Hence why I said rumored. I have no idea whether or not there is any validity to it. Like Tony said, his agent is Boras so he's going to the open market. Same reason why the Sox should trade Rodon if he gets good this season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Tony said:

I totally agree with this as well. The players have an awful deal right now, and players like Eloy are being taken advantage of. 

And the Sox would be stupid not to take that advantage right now. 

Thirded. I don't think the owners have to give up the 6 years of control, but they do have to give up money in bonuses and other things. Even if you go down to 4 it just becomes economically untenable for the small market teams, unless they just decide to spend money suddenly. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I agree.  Treat your people well.  

Then make a big announcement saying something like, “We could never leave a qualified player down in the minors just to grab a year of control- we wouldn’t be able to get a good night’s sleep or live with ourselves if we weren’t honest people.  Ask yourself, how would you like it if somebody stole a year of your life selfishly like that.”   

And then low-ball him when it comes time for an extension.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Every single team in major league baseball would do the same thing that the White Sox and the Blue Jays are going to do.  Every. Single. One.

Eloy may not like it, but I doubt he's going to hang it over the Sox heads 7 years down the line.  If he is as good as people hope he is, he isn't resigning with the  Sox anyhow.

The Sox also reportedly offered Eloy a contract extension late last summer and would have brought him up then.  He, understandably, rejected that.  So, it was partially his call. 

There is a laundry list of teams that have done it.

Cubs-Bryant

Jays- Vlad Jr.

Braves-Acuna

Nats-Harper

Twins-Buxton

Astros-Springer

The White Sox would be stupid to give away that year.

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

And no one ever should. If a team is willing to pay said amount, that is the literal definition of earning their contract. 

I want each party(team, player) to act in their best interest and I don't begrudge either party for doing so. Like I said about the Machado shit, I'm not even mad about the Sox not landing him, I'm mad about them lying to the fanbase about their level of interest, which apparently wasn't very high at all. 

55 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

If Eloy earns the starting job this spring, honor the player and have him start opening day in Chicago.   I know about the service time.  Do you want to attract free agents?  Treat your people well.  Pay them what they are worth.  Give them what they earn even if you have the upper hand.  If Eloy earns it, respect him and maybe he respects you when he becomes a free agent.

I would be infuriated if the Sox did not secure the additional season of control at this point. It would be inexcusable from the club's perspective.

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

You realize Kris Bryant didn't just have Scott Boras assigned to him or something, right? When you chose Scott Boras to rep you as your agent, you are only interested in one thing. And rightfully so. 

This right here. He was never taking a discount. Never taking a team friendly extension. He is 100% hitting free agency. You definitely have to keep him under control as long as possible (so the 6+ years).

I thought they should have brought him last year in August so that he could have actually gotten better at hitting MLB pitching. In that sense, the Sox would also have gotten something out of burning that extra year of control. But at this point, even though it has been wrong (morally wrong) to hold him down, you just have to follow through and call him up after two weeks.

He earned it last summer and didn’t get a call-up.  If you are willing to endure months of resentment from the player and criticism from outsiders, you can last another couple weeks.  Or you are just dumb...

But all is well because Eloy was placated by Hahn’s visit and signing his brother Enoy, who probably doesn’t belong on any MiLB field.  We know how well the friends and family plan works...