Eloy opening day if he earns it

103 mph screwball

33 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

You pull him up whenever it's most advantageous for the team.   Call him up whenever he gets the most years under team control.  Every smart team would do that.

And not "would do", does. I put a list earlier in this thread just for the record.  This is what MLB's most successful franchises do.

• Like 1

It absolutely sucks for Eloy and he in no way deserves to go back to AAA, but if the White Sox are going to be dicks about his service time it would be incredibly stupid to not just go the last few weeks of running this charade before calling him up in mid/late April.

Just now, bulokis said:

When can we expect the call up? April or May?

A major league calendar consists of 187 days of service time, a player earns a full year if he is on a roster for 172 days. Basically the Sox need to keep him down for 16 days. That's about April 12, give or take a day, since opening day is March 28.

Most other teams would put him on the roster right away.  They would have done it last year.  He was ready for MLB.  Look at the Red Sox, for instance.  When Benintendi, Betts, Bogaerts were ready, they brought them up.  Just because the Cubs did it, doesn't mean we should.

Edited by oldsox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Most other teams would put him on the roster right away.  They would have done it last year.  He was ready for MLB.  Look at the Red Sox, for instance.  When Benintendi, Betts, Bogaerts were ready, they brought them up.  Just because the Cubs did it, doesn't mean we should.

The Red Sox were World Series contenders. It makes sense to go for it when you can win. It doesn't make sense to do so during a rebuilding year. 

Hey, I think I speak for everyone when I say we all understand how an extra year works and how it seems like a no-brainer.  Everyone understands that layup point of view.

It’s the finding worthy enough reasons to go against the captain obvious move that makes it fun to talk about!  

For example, there’s certainly millions of PR dollars available by taking a moral high road and throwing shit all over the cubs here.  It has some actual monetary value.  Not sure what it is or if it makes it worth it, but it DOES exist.  One has to acknowledge this.  

There are other reasons that also provide value.  

Is is it enough to overcome the captain obvious layup opinion?  I dunno

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Hey, I think I speak for everyone when I say we all understand how an extra year works and how it seems like a no-brainer.  Everyone understands that layup point of view.

It’s the finding worthy enough reasons to go against the captain obvious move that makes it fun to talk about!  

For example, there’s certainly millions of PR dollars available by taking a moral high road and throwing shit all over the cubs here.  It has some actual monetary value.  Not sure what it is or if it makes it worth it, but it DOES exist.  One has to acknowledge this.  

There are other reasons that also provide value.  

Is is it enough to overcome the captain obvious layup opinion?  I dunno

It's pretty hard to play the moral high ground card when it was completely indefensible to not call him up in September or earlier and they didn't anyway.

1 hour ago, TomPickle said:

It absolutely sucks for Eloy and he in no way deserves to go back to AAA, but if the White Sox are going to be dicks about his service time it would be incredibly stupid to not just go the last few weeks of running this charade before calling him up in mid/late April.

I tend to defend Rick Hahn, but if he calls up Eloy before the three weeks are up, he should be fired.

Not "being a dick".  It's just good business.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What part of extra and cheaper Eloy Jimenez is less defensible than less and more expensive Eloy? 

If you called up Eloy in May of 2018 how much less Eloy would you really be getting?

Also no one has any idea what the next CBA is going to look like so these dumb games may not have even netted the White Sox any extra Eloy.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

If you called up Eloy in May of 2018 how much less Eloy would you really be getting?

Also no one has any idea what the next CBA is going to look like so these dumb games may not have even netted the White Sox any extra Eloy.

It would be exactly 1 year less of cheap mid 20s on a contending team Eloy. 

I don't believe new CBAs would affect current contracts. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is a laundry list of teams that have done it.

Cubs-Bryant

Jays- Vlad Jr.

Braves-Acuna

Nats-Harper

Twins-Buxton

Astros-Springer

The White Sox would be stupid to give away that year.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Calling him up to move a 100 loss season to 97 losses, losing draft position and a year of control.  Makes sense to me. 

You don't lose a year of control. I didn't even advocate calling him up to start the season in this thread. I was just replying to a post that said the White Sox could pretend to take the moral high ground on calling up Eloy sooner. I guess they should have held Moncada down another season too though, why not lose 162 games and just run out a team full of players DFA'd by the Twins?

• Like 1

Just now, TomPickle said:

You don't lose a year of control. I didn't even advocate calling him up to start the season in this thread. I was just replying to a post that said the White Sox could pretend to take the moral high ground on calling up Eloy sooner. I guess they should have held Moncada down another season too though, why not lose 162 games and just run out a team full of players DFA'd by the Twins?

Huh?

You lose a year calling him up in May of 18 vs May of 19.

3 minutes ago, HeHatesShe said:

It would be exactly 1 year less of cheap mid 20s on a contending team Eloy. 

I don't believe new CBAs would affect current contracts. 

FWIW, Eloy would not be "Under contract" unless he signs a contract. The first 2.5 years the White Sox would just "renew" his contract each offseason, and then the following 4 seasons he would have his contract determined through the arbitration process.

It is possible, although unlikely, that one of those years could get lopped off. Not something I would bet on happening, but if we're talking about a 6 month strike and a possibility of the courts intervening as happened in 94, who knows. 

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

7 years remains 7 years no matter when a player is called up the major leagues.

You need to check this more. If he is called up before April 11 of this year, he first hits free agency at the end of 2024. After April 12, he first hits free agency at the end of 2025. 

Both of you guys are just being difficult for no reason. You both understand exactly what I am saying and again I am not even advocating calling up Eloy to start the season. I understand single digit numbers and the rules of baseball. Please stop quoting me.

Honestly, I do not understand what you are saying at all. 

• Like 2