Eloy opening day if he earns it

103 mph screwball

21 hours ago, 103 mph screwball said:

It makes no business sense to buy your wife a wedding ring either.  It’s the gesture!

Eloy has the young guys envisioning a World Series with the Sox.  He will be the leader.  He will be the face of the franchise.  Eloy is special and deserves the gesture.  Hahn flew down to meet his family.  It was a gesture of respect.  If he EARNS It, start him opening day is the right gesture.

White Sox talk about loyalty and being like a family.  Prove it.  Treat Eloy the way you would want to be treated yourself!.  It won’t be a total waste of money.  You will recoup money selling tickets in April.  You might get him to sign an extension that gives you the year back.  He might be more likely to stay when he is a free agent.   You might get good publicity.  You might make a work stoppage slightly less likely.  You might gain the goodwill of future free agents.  You will piss off Soxtalk.  And I it might not pay off monetarily.  But, it’s the right way to treat the man that we already call The Bess. 

Come on man.  You're not serious.  They should albatross their business so Eloy feels comfortable?  They can pay him handsomely when it's time to pay him.  

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have a really bad feeling the Sox put Eloy on the opening day roster in some demented way to appease the fans after the Machado (and likely Harper) miss.

No, I think they value that year of control matters even more with all these injuries to Kopech and now Dunning...you have to get the most of your position players and hope/pray for health and bit of "good luck" from your starting pitching.

21 hours ago, ron883 said:

I prefer they keep him down until the approximate super 2 deadline

Why even bring him up at all in 2019 during another tank year? Securing another top 3 draft pick should be the main priority this year. Why waste a year of Eloy's service time on a team that is tanking?

Let him DH a couple times a week down to Charlotte to stay fresh and bring him up in May of 2020. 

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Why even bring him up at all in 2019 during another tank year? Securing another top 3 draft pick should be the main priority this year. Why waste a year of Eloy's service time on a team that is tanking?

Let him DH a couple times a week down to Charlotte to stay fresh and bring him up in May of 2020. 

🤢🤮 

He has to be up this year.  Keeping him down two weeks is the most you can scam him of a la Kris Bryant.  It’s obvious he’s ready for the majors and his timetable can’t be solely dependent on the state of the rebuild and the Sox potentially not truly competing until the 2020 season.

Just like how signing Harper this offseason wouldn’t be a waste, because you would have him for several more years in your window of competitiveness.

Edited by Harper2Sox

18 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Well, for one thing, the player's association would file a lengthy grievance that they'd likely win.

2) We would lose Jimenez 100% at the end of his contract.

3) NO FA would want to sign with the White Sox, unless they were Tier D/E (we've moved well past B/C tiers with this type of backhanded move)...

2 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

He has to be up this year.  Keeping him down two weeks is the most you can scam him of a la Kris Bryant.  It’s obvious he’s ready for the majors and his timetable can’t be solely dependent on the state of the rebuild.

I don't see the point in playing him in 2019 if the goal is just to continue to tank. Eloy is the heart and soul of a rebuild that is stuck in the sand right now. Would you rather burn a year of his service time next year in another meaningless year or have him 7 years from now when Moncada, Robert, Madrigal, and all the other young guys should be studs? 

26 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I don't see the point in playing him in 2019 if the goal is just to continue to tank. Eloy is the heart and soul of a rebuild that is stuck in the sand right now. Would you rather burn a year of his service time next year in another meaningless year or have him 7 years from now when Moncada, Robert, Madrigal, and all the other young guys should be studs? 

Doesn't matter what the front office subjectively wants or prefers...one iota.

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Doesn't matter what the front office subjectively wants or prefers...one iota.

Why not? Why should they be concerned with a grievance that will just be a slight slap on the wrist?

2019 is another wasted year. I say keep Eloy out and lose 100 plus more games and get the first overall pick in 2020.

Hopefully they can draft a can't miss stud like Harper, Machado, or Bryant cause they sure as hell won't pony up for one. 

• Like 1

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Why not? Why should they be concerned with a grievance that will just be a slight slap on the wrist?

2019 is another wasted year. I say keep Eloy out and lose 100 plus more games and get the first overall pick in 2020.

Hopefully they can draft a can't miss stud like Harper, Machado, or Bryant cause they sure as hell won't pony up for one. 

IMO they should demote Kopech while he is injured. No reason to waste his.service clock during an injured season

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

IMO they should demote Kopech while he is injured. No reason to waste his.service clock during an injured season

I don't think they can do that since he was on the 25 man roster when he got hurt.

Eloy hasn't been promoted yet so they can keep him down. Eloy won't like it, but JR can just explain to him that it was a business decision and nothing personal. 

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I don't think they can do that since he was on the 25 man roster when he got hurt.

Eloy hasn't been promoted yet so they can keep him down. Eloy won't like it, but JR can just explain to him that it was a business decision and nothing personal. 

And why would any legit star player from an another organization want to play for the White Sox in the future?

The Astros, Braves and Padres have all done some shady things, but this would take the cake.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

In all seriousness, no way the FO does this. They would look like absolute clowns if they did (not that they don't look like clowns currently)

That was my initial thought as well but I changed my tune after the Machado fiasco. The Sox are wasting two roster spots based upon the nepotism of a guy that plays in San Diego! They already look like clowns and have so for quite some time. 

It's time to think outside the box. Punt away 2019 and keep Eloy down. We won't need him next year. The extra year of control during our "contention window" will be worth a little more egg on the face now. 

5 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

You can't really do that. I'm all for leaving him down the two weeks an while it will piss him off he will understand it. But leaving a ML ready top prospect down a whole year will create issues like him becoming  a clubhouse cancer in AAA and losing motivation.

You can delay prospects but there is a limit to it. 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:07 PM, Balta1701 said:

A major league calendar consists of 187 days of service time, a player earns a full year if he is on a roster for 172 days. Basically the Sox need to keep him down for 16 days. That's about April 12, give or take a day, since opening day is March 28.

So this actually isn't true for Eloy. I was under this impression as well but I've since been corrected by people close to the team. This date changes due to Eloy being on the 40-man roster. He must spend 20 days in the minor leagues in order to use up a major league option. If he doesn't spend 20 days in the minors, he automatically accrues one year of service. This means he's eligible to join the White Sox around April 20th. The Sox are on an extended road trip at the time. I would expect Eloy to debut on Friday April 26th vs Detroit. 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So this actually isn't true for Eloy. I was under this impression as well but I've since been corrected by people close to the team. This date changes due to Eloy being on the 40-man roster. He must spend 20 days in the minor leagues in order to use up a major league option. If he doesn't spend 20 days in the minors, he automatically accrues one year of service. This means he's eligible to join the White Sox around April 20th. The Sox are on an extended road trip at the time. I would expect Eloy to debut on Friday April 26th vs Detroit. 

I did remember there being something about being on the 40-man. Like the date is slightly later than if a player was called up not on the 40-man (like Bryant).

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

My God, leaving him down another year might open up a can of worms the Sox don't want opened. That's not an option.

It is a radical idea but one that I think the Sox should consider. Eloy means absolutely nothing to the major league team in 2019. Bring him up in May 2020 alongside Kopech, Robert, Madrigal, and Cease. Let the kids develop in 2020 and get after winning the division in 2021. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

It is a radical idea but one that I think the Sox should consider. Eloy means absolutely nothing to the major league team in 2019. Bring him up in May 2020 alongside Kopech, Robert, Madrigal, and Cease. Let the kids develop in 2020 and get after winning the division in 2021. 

I don't know this part of the CBA, but there's a good chance that the union included some sort  of prohibition against "arbitrary and capricious" behavior on the part of the owners, such that if you did keep a guy like that in the minors for a whole year+, you'd be challenged in arbitration under that standard with a good chance of losing.

One big reason why the White Sox wouldn't want to be the team that did this - if there was a challenge and the team lost, they've now rewritten the rulebooks for other players, and we know that this organization does not want to do that.