Water carrying from the white sox community

whitesoxwinner

Bravo.

The thing I can't stand is the fans lining up to defend them. This isn't just about Machado, it's about their systematic approach to FA and how broken and flawed it is. It feels hopeless that they will ever be able to convert on any of their targets moving forward. I keep seeing people clamor about the prospects but these people are "la la laing" the fact that they will be extraordinarily lucky if even 3 or 4 of these guys work out. They'll have to play in free agency if they hope to supplement these guys and they failed miserably and sounds like they didn't learn a damn thing through the process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Bravo.

The thing I can't stand is the fans lining up to defend them. This isn't just about Machado, it's about their systematic approach to FA and how broken and flawed it is. It feels hopeless that they will ever be able to convert on any of their targets moving forward. I keep seeing people clamor about the prospects but these people are "la la laing" the fact that they will be extraordinarily lucky if even 3 or 4 of these guys work out. They'll have to play in free agency if they hope to supplement these guys and they failed miserably and sounds like they didn't learn a damn thing through the process.

"The thing I can't stand is people who don't agree with my assessment"

And no one else thinks this attitude is problematic?  

Before I forget, this article cites posts about percentage of the league average in spending.  A rebuilding team has no reason to spend money.  They just don't.  

Edited by AustinIllini
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Before I forget, this article cites posts about percentage of the league average in spending.  A rebuilding team has no reason to spend money.  They just don't.  

There is no excuse to defend the organization after nothing less than complete failure in the pursuit of Machado. This team has shown an unwillingness to spend to improve the team, even with limited competition. All of this financial flexibility moving forward means little if they tap out when it comes time to pony up. 

They got cute thinking their offer was the best on the table and were badly burned by losing out on Machado. While the rebuild obviously does not hinge on one player, they missed a golden opportunity to add a premium talent. 

Pressure to become competitive again absolutely should be happening, as the rebuild should be turning the corner in 2019/2020 towards contention instead of tanking. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, steveno89 said:

There is no excuse to defend the organization after nothing less than complete failure in the pursuit of Machado. This team has shown an unwillingness to spend to improve the team, even with limited competition. All of this financial flexibility moving forward means little if they tap out when it comes time to pony up. 

They got cute thinking their offer was the best on the table and were badly burned by losing out on Machado. While the rebuild obviously does not hinge on one player, they missed a golden opportunity to add a premium talent. 

Pressure to become competitive again absolutely should be happening, as the rebuild should be turning the corner in 2019/2020 towards contention instead of tanking. 

1. Why is this the only issue on Soxtalk where it's not okay to disagree?
  2. Did you read the article?  Did you see where he cited Ed Farmer?  I mean, come on.  Ed Farmer is suppose to carry water for the team that's responsible for his pay. 

4 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:
  1. Why is this the only issue on Soxtalk where it's not okay to disagree?
  2. Did you read the article?  Did you see where he cited Ed Farmer?  I mean, come on.  Ed Farmer is suppose to carry water for the team that's responsible for his pay. 

How is it a defensible position to say losing out on Machado is anything less than a total failure by the organization? 

You are more than welcome to disagree, but it is beyond me to understand how this could be spun into anything short of a colossal miss at an opportune time. There is nothing to spin, the Sox flat out got their pocket's picked by San Diego and are searching for answers. 

Kicking the can into next year's free agency to improve the club is a complete unknown. The pressure on our home grown talent grows even more. 

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its common sense to be honest.  You can either burn your bridges or you can have access to the information necessary to do your job.  I know there are a lot of internet warriors here, but I am guessing most of the same people aren't burning their employer in a public setting either.

It's one thing for Merkin to do it or even beat guys that are going to be there every day. What is Paul Sullivan's excuse?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

How is it a defensible position to say losing out on Machado is anything less than a total failure by the organization? 

You are more than welcome to disagree, but it is beyond me to understand how this could be spun into anything short of a colossal miss at an opportune time. There is nothing to spin, the Sox flat out got their pocket's picked by San Diego and are searching for answers. 

Kicking the can into next year's free agency to improve the club is a complete unknown. The pressure on our home grown talent grows even more. 

WTF are you talking about, next years FA!?!

It is clear, the Sox will not pay market value for a player.

1 hour ago, AustinIllini said:

If we keep wasting money on veteran stopgap FA’s, we’re going to catch up to that average rather quickly.  And “average” or mediocre is exactly what the team will be although 81-81 would be a miracle.  DJ’s living in fantasyland, predicted 85 wins and a 23 win increase because some team went from last to first in the last couple of seasons (probably the Cubs or Astros).

”But they need to teach the young players how to win and conduct themselves professionally!”  

Okay...

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its common sense to be honest.  You can either burn your bridges or you can have access to the information necessary to do your job.  I know there are a lot of internet warriors here, but I am guessing most of the same people aren't burning their employer in a public setting either.

Wait, is this internet warriors thing about me? Where did I say that someone should be burning their employer? 

25 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Wait, is this internet warriors thing about me? Where did I say that someone should be burning their employer? 

Everyone is getting sensitive around here at the moment, but surely it wasn't you...and just as surely it isn't going to end anytime soon if/when Machado signs elsewhere.  Sounds like more of a general statement that those like Chris Rongey, Merkin, Reifert, McKnight, our Chuck and WSD are always going to error on the side of "career preservation" than killing the golden goose.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Everyone is getting sensitive around here at the moment, but surely it wasn't you...and just as surely it isn't going to end anytime soon if/when Machado signs elsewhere.  Sounds like more of a general statement that those like Chris Rongey, Merkin, Reifert, McKnight, our Chuck and WSD are always going to error on the side of "career preservation" than killing the golden goose.

Oh yeah of course. It wasn't about them asking tough questions. My biggest gripe was slandering Machado after wanting him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Oh yeah of course. It wasn't about them asking tough questions. My biggest gripe was slandering Machado after wanting him. 

It's hard to even get TOO bent out of shape slandering Jay and Alonso...was Hahn actually expecting them to lie if they'd had positive experiences with the Padres' organization and city?

Edited by caulfield12

Fine writing by James Fox, but Garfein was let off way too easy. I heard with my own ears him blaming  the fans for not supporting the team well enough financially, leading to this fiasco.  He’s like a 14 year old cheerleader for the organization. 

6 minutes ago, Baker said:

Fine writing by James Fox, but Garfein was let off way too easy. I heard with my own ears him blaming  the fans for not supporting the team well enough financially, leading to this fiasco.  He’s like a 14 year old cheerleader for the organization. 

Garfein is 100% clueless.

• Like 1

I think the Sox had a good and well thought out offer. Ten year deals seem to fizzle out after about Year six it seems. Folks talk about the team not matching or paying out the market value for Machado. But really what is market value for any player? Is it set by the player or the teams bidding? We seem to have put money out there. I guess time will tell

6 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I think the Sox had a good and well thought out offer. Ten year deals seem to fizzle out after about Year six it seems. Folks talk about the team not matching or paying out the market value for Machado. But really what is market value for any player? Is it set by the player or the teams bidding? We seem to have put money out there. I guess time will tell

That's rational enough, from an accounting/cost-benefit analysis standpoint and would be fine if we lost Machado and Harper to the Giants, Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox and  even the Astros.

But that's not the case here.

The Padres have three deals on the books worth more than their franchise, arguably.

The White Sox are worth roughly $1.8-2.2 billion on the open market and have never secured a deal for more than $68 million in 118 years or whatever it is of franchise history.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know people want to be upset, but this is a pretty straightforward thing here. 

It is a shame that our reporters fear for their job too much to write objective articles. This isn’t the case in many other large markets. 

OTOH, I personally don’t think we see the full puzzle quite yet. 

• Thanks 2