Water carrying from the white sox community

whitesoxwinner

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't decide what my job is. My bosses do. This is true for everyone who works for someone else. I have two choices, find another job or deal with it. My opinion is meaningless. 

And this is why Rick Hahn has never said anything either negative or completely honest/forthright in his entire career as White Sox GM.

He has to carry water for the ownership group, and serve as the buffer between the fans and JR.

What KW does anymore, it's not exactly clear.

Edited by caulfield12

Also, I've been lectured in the past about letting my boss fire me vs. quitting, and I told people that it isn't fair to my boss when I know I suck at my job to continue showing up just for a paycheck, and making him fire me to collect unemployment. I couldn't live with myself if I did that either. 

It is a two way street. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Also, I've been lectured in the past about letting my boss fire me vs. quitting, and I told people that it isn't fair to my boss when I know I suck at my job to continue showing up just for a paycheck, and making him fire me to collect unemployment. I couldn't live with myself if I did that either. 

It is a two way street. 

The problem here is that Hahn and KW are WAY WAY WAY too close to the management side of things, and have completely lost touch with what it means to be a fan.  Their lives are too comfortable, too cushy.  It's easy to understand why they wouldn't want to give that up, if you put yourselves in the same position, holding the jobs they do...I mean, it's a lot easier to become a Representative or Senator from your state than to become a major league GM.

Still doesn't mean it doesn't suck for the fans that we have more of a lawyer/financial analyst than someone who leads with his heart.

In fact, Community Relations/charity work might be the the ONLY area the White Sox are on the cutting edge, compared to the rest of the major leagues.  Unfortunately, no W/L standings for most effective charity programs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem here is that Hahn and KW are WAY WAY WAY too close to the management side of things, and have completely lost touch with what it means to be a fan.  Their lives are too comfortable, too cushy.  It's easy to understand why they wouldn't want to give that up, if you put yourselves in the same position, holding the jobs they do...I mean, it's a lot easier to become a Representative or Senator from your state than to become a major league GM.

Still doesn't mean it doesn't suck for the fans that we have more of a lawyer/financial analyst than someone who leads with his heart.

In fact, Community Relations/charity work might be the the ONLY area the White Sox are on the cutting edge, compared to the rest of the major leagues.  Unfortunately, no W/L standings for most effective charity programs.

There's zero urgency anywhere in the FO.   Hahn seems a decent enough guy, but he knows, like most of these guys do, that as long as they are loyal they've got a lifetime gig under JR.

It's still a bit mind boggling that Hahn has been promoted from essentially a pure "capologist" and "contract guy" to GM in charge of baseball operations.  Like, what in Hahn's background suggests he's capable of this role?  Nothing.

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's zero urgency anywhere in the FO.   Hahn seems a decent enough guy, but he knows, like most of these guys do, that as long as they are loyal they've got a lifetime gig under JR.

It's still a bit mind boggling that Hahn has been promoted from essentially a pure "capologist" and "contract guy" to GM in charge of baseball operations.  Like, what in Hahn's background suggests he's capable of this role?  Nothing.

I got ripped for comparing his lack of athletic ability even in high school...and instead heard about Epstein's lacrosse and soccer career.   He will always think more of opportunity cost and risk mitigation rather than talent/ability first, its the way his brain has been trained.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I got ripped for comparing his lack of athletic ability even in high school...and instead heard about Epstein's lacrosse and soccer career.   He will always think more of opportunity cost and risk mitigation rather than talent/ability first, its the way his brain has been trained.

If I think I know what you're getting at, I don't buy that argument.  For instance, Hawk was a much more successful athlete than either of them and a pretty horrible GM.  Dave Stewart too. 

4 hours ago, Baker said:

Fine writing by James Fox, but Garfein was let off way too easy. I heard with my own ears him blaming  the fans for not supporting the team well enough financially, leading to this fiasco.  He’s like a 14 year old cheerleader for the organization. 

Is he wrong?  Let's look at that for a moment  there.   If the Sox would be averaging say 25K per night on these down year(s),  do they pull the trigger on that $300 million deal to Machado?    

I know it's hard to buy in for a bad product.  But what happens first, do the fans buy in on the rebuild and kind of  force the owner to pay for better players or does the owner pay for better players and hopes for it to make an impact at the gate?  Common sense would be the owner making the move first, but historically Sox fans are hard to please even when money is spent.  There's always an excuse not to go to the stadium.  

8 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Is he wrong?  Let's look at that for a moment  there.   If the Sox would be averaging say 25K per night on these down year(s),  do they pull the trigger on that $300 million deal to Machado?    

I know it's hard to buy in for a bad product.  But what happens first, do the fans buy in on the rebuild and kind of  force the owner to pay for better players or does the owner pay for better players and hopes for it to make an impact at the gate?  Common sense would be the owner making the move first, but historically Sox fans are hard to please even when money is spent.  There's always an excuse not to go to the stadium.  

But why blame the people who do show up for not being more?

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I couldn't sleep at night if I dealt with it, it would torment me. So therefore, I suffer. 

I won't take a job unless my boss and I are on the same page on what the job duties are. As long as we're on the same page, we're fine. 

It is also why I refuse to work for anyone else anymore. Too many power struggles and clashes. 

I am way too skeptical of business in general to allow someone else to define the difference between right and wrong. Once you allow that, you lead yourself down a slippery slope. 

I can't take it that personally.  I like the things that work brings me, and understand that working isn't always going to be ideal.  You have to compartmentalization these kind of things.  I do my eight hours and don't look back.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Just want to say that though I defended Chuck, mcguffey has become insufferable this offseason. I like the media stuff he produces, but his tweets and commentary has been bad. Really miss when it was mostly dan hayes and chuck.

I think he was the one who said his positive outlook has nothing to do with the fact that he's on Jerry's payroll, yet the only person who covers the Sox in any sort of official capacity that criticized them happens to be the only person not on the payroll. Laugh out loud funny

Edited by mqr

17 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Sort of like Coop blaming the fans who are here for the fans who are not here. Maybe not a preferred destination for the elite FA's. We should have had an owner who knows real estate to help develop the community.  

On 2/25/2019 at 4:34 PM, steveno89 said:

How is it a defensible position to say losing out on Machado is anything less than a total failure by the organization? 

You are more than welcome to disagree, but it is beyond me to understand how this could be spun into anything short of a colossal miss at an opportune time. There is nothing to spin, the Sox flat out got their pocket's picked by San Diego and are searching for answers. 

Kicking the can into next year's free agency to improve the club is a complete unknown. The pressure on our home grown talent grows even more. 

I am not quite as stern because we are not a destination franchise and our team did not budget to spend $300M on Machado. Right or wrong those are the facts. I can almost promise you that Ken and Rick did not try to get the owner to spend that amount. They did not want to be responsible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pcq said:

I am not quite as stern because we are not a destination franchise and our team did not budget to spend $300M on Machado. Right or wrong those are the facts. I can almost promise you that Ken and Rick did not try to get the owner to spend that amount. They did not want to be responsible. 

We need the English Premier League rules where we eventually get relegated.

Or the authoritarian dictator of a 3rd world country to spend crazy money to buy the team and up the payroll to $200 million.