Nolan Arenado to sign extension with the Rockies

Kiebs13

I mean, it took what, a week? for the Machado deal to look pretty darn good. Once these MLB redoes their players association deal you better believe they'll get a bigger piece of the pie earlier in their careers. Owners are making more than ever and players aren't going to stand by. We'll look back at Machado for $30mm and laugh at ourselves even harder while we have Mark Teahen or Brent Morel manning the 2025 hot corner.

The Sox FO is just terrible & isn't going to change.

• Like 2

A premium free agent off the market. Maybe the White Sox will realize they need to pay Harper now.

Personally, at this point, this may be the best thing that could happen. If the Sox were to put their eggs in the Arenado basket, that would mean Moncada was a bust at 3B, and would be moving to yet another position. And it's one less option for the team moving forward. Maybe Uncle Jerry will open the purse strings a little bit more.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Oh look JR and Hahn waited around too long and now Machado at $30mm looks like a good deal & the price on Harper just went up to $36mm per year instead of maybe being able to get him at 10/320.

Clowns.

We're mired in mediocrity.

You have to be mediocre to be mired in it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

We're so fucking fucked if Harper doesn't happen

Happy for Arenado to get his payday, a really good contract for him overall. 

This reinforces how big of a failure it was for the Sox to whiff on Machado, and likely Harper soon. The premium free agents are going to get the guaranteed years and payday, a club either needs to step up or sit out. 

• Like 1

I would not have been confident that the Sox would have won any bidding war for him either though. I’m sure that there would have probably been even more of a market for him than there was with Manny and Harper this year. The odds would have been greatly against us. 

Just now, shipps said:

I would not have been confident that the Sox would have won any bidding war for him either though. I’m sure that there would have probably been even more of a market for him than there was with Manny and Harper this year. The odds would have been greatly against us. 

That offer contains more guaranteed money than the White Sox offered Machado and Arenado had a year left before free agency.