Nolan Arenado to sign extension with the Rockies

Kiebs13

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope us.  I’m agree with 99% of what you say on this site, but I do not like that trade at all for us.  

Yah...tried not to be too pie in the sky.  Would definitely prefer Welker, Lambert, Pint and Tapia...but that seems like a lot for an intriguing but often injured pitcher that only has 3 years of control and neutral value aging 1B on a 1 year deal.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly tho...

Something like:

Rockies Receive: Abreu, Rodon and Steele Walker

Sox Receive: Colton Welker, Riley Pint, Ramiel Tapia and a lottery ticket (Breiling Eusebio maybe?)

Who says no?  Rockies looks a tad thin on OF depth in the minors, but should be covered in IF long term no with Rodgers, Story and Arenado.  Would love to get Lambert or Rolison in this deal instead of a final lottery ticket....maybe including Walker could do that.  Let's the Sox throw Tapia out in CF this season and see what he can do. 

At this point, I'd do it.  2020 is fucked.  Trade Rodon.    

If you commit to trading Rodon, could we do better? I don't know the answer but I'm guessing several teams might want in.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Flash said:

If you commit to trading Rodon, could we do better? I don't know the answer but I'm guessing several teams might want in.

Send him to the Dodgers, take on Hill’s entire salary + a guy like Bellinger. Balance out the value of Bellinger with a few minor leaguers, no one too highly rated since there’s a lot of dead weight coming in with Hill’s $$$. Allows the Dodgers to sign Harper. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah...tried not to be too pie in the sky.  Would definitely prefer Welker, Lambert, Pint and Tapia...but that seems like a lot for an intriguing but often injured pitcher that only has 3 years of control and neutral value aging 1B on a 1 year deal.  

The main problem with the trade is us including Walker.  He’s probably a more value prospect at this point than Pint and maybe even Tapia.  To me, Rodon & Abreu for Welker & Tapia (or Pint) is just not enough.  Rodon’s value is no doubt suppressed but one strong year could greatly improve his trade value.  I’d wait and see what 2019 brings before settling for that kind of package.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly tho...

Something like:

Rockies Receive: Abreu, Rodon and Steele Walker

Sox Receive: Colton Welker, Riley Pint, Ramiel Tapia and a lottery ticket (Breiling Eusebio maybe?)

Who says no?  Rockies looks a tad thin on OF depth in the minors, but should be covered in IF long term no with Rodgers, Story and Arenado.  Would love to get Lambert or Rolison in this deal instead of a final lottery ticket....maybe including Walker could do that.  Let's the Sox throw Tapia out in CF this season and see what he can do. 

At this point, I'd do it.  2020 is fucked.  Trade Rodon.    

Could this be something that goes down before the trade deadline this year?  If the Rockies are in the hunt, could this be something both teams would want?

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Send him to the Dodgers, take on Hill’s entire salary + a guy like Bellinger. Balance out the value of Bellinger with a few minor leaguers, no one too highly rated since there’s a lot of dead weight coming in with Hill’s $$$. Allows the Dodgers to sign Harper. 

I was thinking along same lines but with Padres. If we can't sign Harper, lets help the Padres by taking Wil Myers off their hands. Padres have 5-6 guys rated  between 15-25 who I really like, including Nayler, Xavier Edwards and Potts. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

The main problem with the trade is us including Walker.  He’s probably a more value prospect at this point than Pint and maybe even Tapia.  To me, Rodon & Abreu for Welker & Tapia (or Pint) is just not enough.  Rodon’s value is no doubt suppressed but one strong year could greatly improve his trade value.  I’d wait and see what 2019 brings before settling for that kind of package.

Yah, I wasn't on board for trading Rodon at all until like...now.  But whats the point in keeping him now? At most you're getting 1 impending FA season of him with this team competing.  2020 is toast.  2019 is another tank year.  I suppose you let him go out this season, hopefully look like an ace, and trade him for a ransom in July.  That is probably still the right play..but certainly not risk free.  

I think Pint still has a good deal of value.  I personally like Tapia alot. Still just 25.  Has absolutely raked in the minors and never really been given a chance in the Rox crowded OF. He'd a perfect guy to get in the backend of a deal, IMO.  Obviously Welker is the big catch though, and if you can get another one of their nice pitching prospects with Pint (like Lambert), it makes alot more sense. 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

I was thinking along same lines but with Padres. If we can't sign Harper, lets help the Padres by taking Wil Myers off their hands. Padres have 5-6 guys rated  between 15-25 who I really like, including Nayler, Xavier Edwards and Potts. 

You want to take on that albatross for a couple 45 FV prospects?  No thanks.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I wasn't on board for trading Rodon at all until like...now.  But whats the point in keeping him now? At most you're getting 1 impending FA season of him with this team competing.  2020 is toast.  2019 is another tank year.  I suppose you let him go out this season, hopefully look like an ace, and trade him for a ransom in July.  That is probably still the right play..but certainly not risk free.  

I think Pint still has a good deal of value.  I personally like Tapia alot. Still just 25.  Has absolutely raked in the minors and never really been given a chance in the Rox crowded OF. He'd a perfect guy to get in the backend of a deal, IMO.  Obviously Welker is the big catch though, and if you can get another one of their nice pitching prospects with Pint (like Lambert), it makes alot more sense. 

Man, are we really talking about trading Rodon right now? The dude is a former top 5 pick with three years of cheap control remaining. 

Are we gonna be saying the same thing about trading Moncada and Jimenez in 3 years? At what point does this rebuild become the snake eating its own tail? 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I think all the guys you mentioned are interesting, just don’t see a centerpiece that warrants trading Rodon (although I’m admittedly lower than many here on Welker).  Adding Lamber certainly would make the package more intriguing thought, but I’d probably still hold onto Rodon for another year.

11 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Man, are we really talking about trading Rodon right now? The dude is a former top 5 pick with three years of cheap control remaining. 

Are we gonna be saying the same thing about trading Moncada and Jimenez in 3 years? At what point does this rebuild become the snake eating its own tail? 

A former top 3 pick who has been completely average WHEN healthy.... when being a big thing

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Arenado is far and away a better player... Harper just has the unparralled marketing side

We have very different definitions of far and away. He’s at best marginally better, and I’m not sure he’s better at all. Heat definitely not the more attractive FA piece

Edited by mqr

17 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I mean....I agree, but whats the point in keeping him?  At best, 67% of his remaining control is going to be on sub .500 teams.  

Moncada still has 5 years...Eloy 7 (if the Sox don't botch that)...the calculus is different.  

I love Rodon and still think he can be a really good major league SP. The best play is probably to hope he blows up this year and trade him in July or next offseason. But he's another injury away from likely having very little value whenever he returns. 

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You want to take on that albatross for a couple 45 FV prospects?  No thanks.

Myers isn't expensive until 2020 and then, only if he doesn't perform. Guessing he would have led WS in WAR last season. I would definitely take him and his contract on if it meant nabbing a couple of high upside prospects. Who we give up in return would obviously depend on the prospects.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Myers isn't expensive until 2020 and then, only if he doesn't perform. Guessing he would have led WS in WAR last season. I would definitely take him and his contract on if it meant nabbing a couple of high upside prospects. Who we give up in return would obviously depend on the prospects.

I would prefer not to give Preller an opportunity to fleece us again.  And I am guessing Padres would rather keep Myers for now since they just acquired a $300M 3B to help them win baseball games sooner rather than later. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I would prefer not to give Preller an opportunity to fleece us again.  And I am guessing Padres would rather keep Myers for now since they just acquired a $300M 3B to help them win baseball games sooner rather than later. 

Only reason they might be interested is to clear some payroll and OF spot for Harper.

Like I’ve been repeating over and over, anyone who thinks that missing out on Machado and Harper is no big deal because they can sign other free agents in the future is nuts.

If the Rockies didn’t lock up Arenado, the Yankees would have next offseason.  Who is the next best guy available next offseason — Anthony Rendon?  Total meh.

This was the key offseason to sign a 26 year old stud.

But at least Hahn contributed to the offseason by giving the Rockies a framework for Arenado’s deal.  And the Rockies STILL gave more guaranteed money to Arenado than the Sox offered Machado.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

A premium free agent off the market. Maybe the White Sox will realize they need to pay Harper now.

Personally, at this point, this may be the best thing that could happen. If the Sox were to put their eggs in the Arenado basket, that would mean Moncada was a bust at 3B, and would be moving to yet another position. And it's one less option for the team moving forward. Maybe Uncle Jerry will open the purse strings a little bit more.

Great point.  Hahn can’t really argue that the money will be spent anymore.  There are no players available next offseason that are worth $250+ million.  It’s Harper or bust.

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Like I’ve been repeating over and over, anyone who thinks that missing out on Machado and Harper is no big deal because they can sign other free agents in the future is nuts.

If the Rockies didn’t lock up Arenado, the Yankees would have next offseason.  Who is the next best guy available next offseason — Anthony Rendon?  Total meh.

This was the key offseason to sign a 26 year old stud.

But at least Hahn contributed to the offseason by giving the Rockies a framework for Arenado’s deal.  And the Rockies STILL gave more guaranteed money to Arenado than the Sox offered Machado.

Rendon isn't Arenado or Machado, but he certainly isn't meh.

Career slash lines for all three:

Rendon: .285/.361/.469

Machado: .282/.335/.487

Arenado: .291/.346/.530

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I actually don't even want the franchise to be top free agent spenders every year. Just wanted to sign players in times like these. Would rather they invest it all in intl/player dev/scouting than arrietta-type deals.

Then at least we could be honest with ourselves that despite the Sox being in a large market, they'll continue to operate like a small market team. There is potential for so much more but Uncle Jerry doesn't care. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Then at least we could be honest with ourselves that despite the Sox being in a large market, they'll continue to operate like a small market team. There is potential for so much more but Uncle Jerry doesn't care. 

We’re the current Bulls and the old school Blackhawks