Dane Dunning: No TJS just yet, rest and monitor

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Somehow Paddy has a job for life despite only a single LatAm signing reaching AA under his watch (and not even with us unfortunately).

This really shouldn't be a surprise.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m pretty sure I just expressed this exact concern like a week ago.  But dumb question, is forearm discomfort the same as elbow pain?  Is there reason to expect the worse here or could this be some lesser injury?

I've read where forearm pain is a strong indication of a serious issue to come usually ending up with TJ surgery. 

4 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

It’s becoming apparent Dunning can not be counted on. Injuries derailed a ton of prospects.

Is there something other than this arm difficulty that has hit Dunning, some shoulder problem or something? Has he had TJS before? Because this just seems like a recurrence of what he was dealing with last year, where last year's time off just wasn't enough to heal the damage. Because the solution is TJS, and if that takes - it was one injury that they could have dealt with last year, decided to rehab rather than opting for surgery, and then were proven wrong. 

At least this one costs no service time.

Need to get a veteran #2 starter next year, desperately.  Can’t blame Herm Schneider anymore.  

Maybe the Nationals just knew a lot more about thei pitchers than we did?

Will probably end up with Esteban Loiaza when he’s furloughed from prison...we’ll inevitably have to hear about the heartwarming human interest-related comeback story.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Need to get a veteran #2 starter next year, desperately.  Can’t blame Herm Schneider anymore.  

Maybe the Nationals just knew a lot more about thei pitchers than we did?

Will probably end up with Esteban Loiaza when he’s furloughed from prison...we’ll inevitably have to hear about the heartwarming human interest-related comeback story.

People were blaming Herm Schneider? That seems...dumb

Edited by mqr

I always wonder what these guys are doing all winter if they get into camp and suddenly can't throw a baseball.  Has to be considered that Dunning was hiding the extent of his discomfort last year and if the Sox were actively monitoring his activity and rehab this winter closely enough.  

Right now the data points just keep coming in that this org just isn't doing things the right way.  And yes, we can use hindsight here.  Why not?  Looks like he should have had the surgery last fall.  He'd already be throwing again like Kopech.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Should have done so in the fall. This was totally predictable. 

No it's not predictable. Many pitchers can rehab a partial tear of the UCL. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it worked in this case. The repeated issues this soon after beginning of Spring isn't a good sign.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Honestly I know ptatc is going to tell me I'm wrong but whenever we get the "oh its just a forearm strain, they'll rest and rehab through it" I get annoyed because it just delays the inevitable tjs and turns a 12 month recovery into a 18 month episode.

I wouldnt totally disagree. The usual reason that a pitcher has a forearm strain is that there is something going on with the UCL. 

I would disagree that just because there is a forearm issue means they will eventually  have surgery.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m pretty sure I just expressed this exact concern like a week ago.  But dumb question, is forearm discomfort the same as elbow pain?  Is there reason to expect the worse here or could this be some lesser injury?

Not always. However, in someone with a previous UCL history, it's a good bet.

32 minutes ago, mqr said:

People were blaming Herm Schneider? That seems...dumb

It's not Schneider and the training staff, although they will have input. If you are looking at preventing injuries it's more the strength and conditioning group. Although with UCL issues it's more the pitching coaches and pitch selection.

Then research shows the two most significant factors are more than 45% fastballs and having their release point further away from the head.

30 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I always wonder what these guys are doing all winter if they get into camp and suddenly can't throw a baseball.  Has to be considered that Dunning was hiding the extent of his discomfort last year and if the Sox were actively monitoring his activity and rehab this winter closely enough.  

Right now the data points just keep coming in that this org just isn't doing things the right way.  And yes, we can use hindsight here.  Why not?  Looks like he should have had the surgery last fall.  He'd already be throwing again like Kopech.

Yes. The surgeons thought that the tear was small enough that rehab would work. There were positive reports in the Fall but obviously it doesn't look like it worked.