Dane Dunning: No TJS just yet, rest and monitor

8 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

3-4 MAJOR PROSPECT HITS: we're confident or hopeful in Eloy. I'd say the same with Kopech. Outside of that? I'd say Madrigal or Moncada have the best shot, but think we're on the outside looking in on actual MAJOR SUPERSTAR hits. Robert?

Cease has looked better than Kopech ever did in the minors. He and Eloy are our best prospects.

57 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Right-hander Alex Hansen, ranked 10th in the organization, has been fighting shoulder issues. Eloy Jimenez had an array of minor injuries last season that might have — OK, probably didn’t — cost him a midseason call-up.

chicagotribune.com

Is this new?  Can you provide the actual link?  I can’t even imagine what will happen if Hansen & Dunning both go down with season ending injuries.

Also, why do I have this bad feeling the Sox are saving the Dunning news for Friday in hopes that a night of drinking softens the blow.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is this new?  Can you provide the actual link?  I can’t even imagine what will happen if Hansen & Dunning both go down with season ending injuries.

Also, why do I have this bad feeling the Sox are saving the Dunning news for Friday in hopes that a night of drinking softens the blow.

From the Tribune in the last 24 hours...it is a bit hard to understand if it’s about this camp or an overhanging issue from last season.  But we haven’t seen or heard anything positive about Hansen.  Maybe it would be a relief if his problems last year were attributable to physical rather than psychological issues.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-reynaldo-lopez-20190227-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1gp2

Edit:  very misleading the way that article was written about Hansen, because the shoulder issue was in the offseason, unless it just popped up again? It said “has been” fighting shoulder problems...recurring...new?  We don’t really know much, besides it’s undoubtedly not a good thing.

Pain re-occurred for Hansen this past December, only this time in his shoulder when he started throwing in his Oklahoma City hometown. After it didn't go away for two weeks, Hansen got in touch with the White Sox and came to Arizona five weeks ago.

"At first I was a little hesitant," Hansen said. "I was like, 'Man, I don't want to leave this early. Spring Training is still two months away,' but as of today, I'm glad I came down here. I'm glad they made me come down here. I'm right on track right now. Maybe I might be a week behind everyone else, but the pain is gone."

"We've identified some exercise and corrective things to help him work through everything, feel healthy, stay healthy, so he can have a productive season," Getz said. "It's nice to be around an Alec Hansen that is confident in the work he's putting in. Hopefully it transforms him on the mound."

There was a time when future projections had Hansen as part of the top three in the White Sox rotation. That projection took a hit last season, with a velocity and confidence dip on the mound.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I saw a tweet from someone (fegan maybe?) a week or so ago - may have been buried in the Manny news - that Hansen was having shoulder discomfort when throwing prior to ST and had alerted the team. 

Juan Soto was there for the taking in the Eaton trade too. The Nats wouldn't budge on Robles if I remember correctly but the Sox seemed fixated on getting pitching from the Nats. Giolito was rumored as one of the main centerpieces in the Sale trade talks with Washington that fell apart. 

All water under the bridge now I suppose, but the what ifs are really starting to pile high with Mr. Hahn and company. 

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Juan Soto was there for the taking in the Eaton trade too. The Nats wouldn't budge on Robles if I remember correctly but the Sox seemed fixated on getting pitching from the Nats. Giolito was rumored as one of the main centerpieces in the Sale trade talks with Washington that fell apart. 

All water under the bridge now I suppose, but the what ifs are really starting to pile high with Mr. Hahn and company. 

That Jesus Luzardo for Robertson deal looks pretty good as well.  

6 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Was he?  I don't remember any substantial rumor that said he was available.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Was he?  I don't remember any substantial rumor that said he was available.

He was available. He was only like 17 at the time of the Eaton trade with Harper, Robles, Werth all ahead of him on the depth chart. 

The Sox obviously wanted pitching from the Nats that was very close to MLB ready. 

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

He was available. He was only like 17 at the time of the Eaton trade with Harper, Robles, Werth all ahead of him on the depth chart. 

The Sox obviously wanted pitching from the Nats that was very close to MLB ready. 

None of that means he was actually available.  I remember there being discussions about who they refused to include in the deal too.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess it goes to show that @ptatc is still a better doctor than me.

It's still very concerning with his history. The good news is that the 7-10 day time frame implies they do think it's muscular. If the ligament was obviously loose again, the time frame for healing would be in the 4-8 week time frame.

Just now, chitown87 said:

I'm sure James Andrews needs your advice on elbow injuries.

Lol, obviously I am not a doctor.  But this is clearly a recurring problem with Dunning.  I don't recall exact diagnosis from last summer, but doesn't he have a partially torn UCL?  This is going to continue to be a problem until he gets it fixed. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's still very concerning with his history. The good news is that the 7-10 day time frame implies they do think it's muscular. If the ligament was obviously loose again, the time frame for healing would be in the 4-8 week time frame.

If you don't mind me asking ptatc, will MRIs pick up minor "pinhole" tears in ligaments well? And are MRIs bad for you like x-rays are?