Dane Dunning: No TJS just yet, rest and monitor

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, obviously I am not a doctor.  But this is clearly a recurring problem with Dunning.  I don't recall exact diagnosis from last summer, but doesn't he have a partially torn UCL?  This is going to continue to be a problem until he gets it fixed. 

I'm assuming that would take more than a week to rest. 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm assuming that would take more than a week to rest. 

I was referring to the injury last June that they decided to just rehab.  

I went back and looked and it appears they categorized it as an "elbow strain"...that ended up costing him the remainder of the season. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, obviously I am not a doctor.  But this is clearly a recurring problem with Dunning.  I don't recall exact diagnosis from last summer, but doesn't he have a partially torn UCL?  This is going to continue to be a problem until he gets it fixed. 

The time off last year was for the healing process. Ligaments typically take 4-8 weeks to heal. The thought last summer was that the tear was small enough that it would heal.

The fact that they are recommending 7-10 days of rest implies that they think it's muscle inflammation not the ligament.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I was referring to the injury last June that they decided to just rehab.  

I went back and looked and it appears they categorized it as an "elbow strain"...that ended up costing him the remainder of the season. 

They decided last summer that the ligament tear was small enough that allowing it to heal would be enough. 

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If you don't mind me asking ptatc, will MRIs pick up minor "pinhole" tears in ligaments well? And are MRIs bad for you like x-rays are?

MRIs typically will "see" significant tears. They may or may not find small tears. However, if the tear is small enough that the MRI didn't pick it up, it probably isn't significant enough to warrant surgery and conservative treatment would be recommended. 

The caveat to any imaging is that they will not do surgery based on imaging alone. For example, they've done studies on symptom free people and found that 60 % were diagnosed with bulging discs in the low back. They will look at their symptoms and function as well as imaging to determine the treatment.

As far as if they are bad for you, I assume you mean the radiation from the Xrays (it really isn't bad for you but that another discussion). MRI stand for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (I tell students it mean More Radiographic Income based on the info above) so it uses magnets not radiation. Unless you have metal implants, it won't do anything to you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Pretty sure it was Turner that was off limits, and Robles they were willing to give up for Sale only.

That sounds right. I remember Robles only being available in a Sale trade. 

I remember a few of us wanting Soto, but I don't remember if his name was ever mentioned publicly as available or not.

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The time off last year was for the healing process. Ligaments typically take 4-8 weeks to heal. The thought last summer was that the tear was small enough that it would heal.

The fact that they are recommending 7-10 days of rest implies that they think it's muscle inflammation not the ligament.

Thanks for the insight.