Alec Hansen

zisk

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

He's more of a mental mess than Floyd or even Giolito IMO.

Yeah. I’ve said it before but even if he bounced back this year, I’d have no confidence he would be “fixed” and not just forget how to pitch for a year again. 

45 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Doesn't he have a reported shoulder issue? Sox will probably hold him out until June again and he will make 10 starts at High A. 

He is a non-prospect at this point in time. 

He is said to be on track to start the year normally. A guy with his potential is not a non-prospect... I get that his value has dropped a lot but its quite extreme to call him a non-prospect.

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Doesn't he have a reported shoulder issue? Sox will probably hold him out until June again and he will make 10 starts at High A. 

He is a non-prospect at this point in time. 

He was literally pushing top 10 prospect starting pitchers a year ago... and now he's a non-prospect??? Go home.

After the 2017 season, when the Marlins were doing their player dumpings, Yelich was obviously on the block, and I saw one comment somewhere saying that there was a possible trade for Yelich headlined by Sox including Hansen.  I always wondered if there was any truth there.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:40 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m giving him one more year.  He was so damn good in 2017 and that potential is still there if healthy.

After a disastrous 2018 season, I have dropped expectations considerably for Hansen. He should begin the season as a starter, but I think he might figure things out enough to be a reliever.

Too soon to write him off, but he's in dangerous territory

The total lack of command/control with everything doesn't profile to anything if he doesn't get it back.  Bullpeners are often the two pitch pitchers who can't develop a third pitch.  The inability to throw a strike is career threatening.  I really hope he gets it back cause he was looking really really good at one time.

• Like 1

There are people calling Hansen a non-prospect? A guy who made T100 lists a year ago? With his filthy stuff? That's ridiculous. The command and injury risks came back BIG time last year for sure, and he's fallen back on the ladder, but he is absolutely still a significant prospect. You just don't give up on that level of talent, especially when he's shown before for a year and a half at a stretch that he can dial it back in. He's a prospect now and will be for at least another couple years even if he struggles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

There are people calling Hansen a non-prospect? A guy who made T100 lists a year ago? With his filthy stuff? That's ridiculous. The command and injury risks came back BIG time last year for sure, and he's fallen back on the ladder, but he is absolutely still a significant prospect. You just don't give up on that level of talent, especially when he's shown before for a year and a half at a stretch that he can dial it back in. He's a prospect now and will be for at least another couple years even if he struggles.

This reminds me a lot of the Micker Adolfo stuff.

6 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Plus.... the pitch face. How can anybody give up on that pitch face?

• Haha 2

Hansen’s biggest strength causes his biggest weakness... his size. When his on the downward angle he produces makes him unhittable. When he gets out of sink he is too big to figure out what’s the problem, as there are so many moving parts that he can’t quickly adjust.

at this stage I still have high hopes of him becoming a late developing ace, no reason why not, as what is wrong is easy to see, albeit hard to fix.

40 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

Here's another article on Hansen.

White Sox pitching prospect Alec Hansen reflects on lost season: 'It just kind of spiraled'

2018 was a physical AND mental struggle for him.  Hopefully all's better now.  Remember, a person can learn more from failure than they will EVER learn from success.

With that in mind, Rick Hahn definitely will be AL Front Office Executive of the Year in 2021/22.

Hansen was Garfien’s guest on the podcast.  Seems like a good kid.  He’s rooming this spring with Cease and Lambert.

Says forearm affected him, and he lost 40 pounds last year.  Says he is back to previous weight.  Feels strong and is throwing well in his bullpens.  He has got a live batting practice I think on Thursday, then he’s going to pitch in a minor league game.  After listening to him, I am cautiously optimistic.  Can’t say that about many things this spring.