Alec Hansen

zisk

On 3/13/2019 at 3:23 AM, Timmy U said:

Hansen was Garfien’s guest on the podcast.  Seems like a good kid.  He’s rooming this spring with Cease and Lambert.

Says forearm affected him, and he lost 40 pounds last year.  Says he is back to previous weight.  Feels strong and is throwing well in his bullpens.  He has got a live batting practice I think on Thursday, then he’s going to pitch in a minor league game.  After listening to him, I am cautiously optimistic.  Can’t say that about many things this spring.

Hansen is my favourite prospect, as if he does make it the road travelled will make him so easy to route for. 

Did he still sound a little depressed to you when he spoke. I think the ghosts of 2018 are still in his head sadly. I think he needs a good opening game or two and then he will fly. If he gets shelled in game one he may get into his head again. 

58 minutes ago, Colinski said:

Did he still sound a little depressed to you when he spoke. I think the ghosts of 2018 are still in his head sadly. I think he needs a good opening game or two and then he will fly. If he gets shelled in game one he may get into his head again. 

Yeah, he did.  Couldn’t tell if it was lack of confidence, discomfort with being interviewed, or sadness reliving his nightmare season.  I agree, it’s crucial for him to get off to a decent start.

7 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah, he did.  Couldn’t tell if it was lack of confidence, discomfort with being interviewed, or sadness reliving his nightmare season.  I agree, it’s crucial for him to get off to a decent start.

While certainly true, I feel like I recall people saying this about him in his first year, that he really lacks confidence.

I hope he can cope with his nerves and have a great year.

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Is the plan for him to start the season at Winston Salem? If so, he should be able to dominate the competition there as a 24 year old. 

Yeah, I would assume he starts at Winston-Salem to get his confidence back, then has a chance to go to Charlotte by the end of the year if everything works out, given his age.

9 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah, I would assume he starts at Winston-Salem to get his confidence back, then has a chance to go to Charlotte by the end of the year if everything works out, given his age.

I think he went to W-S because that was where the pitching was that really helped him. Is that coach still there?

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Proof is in the milb box scores...we heard the same or similar about Fulmer during the offseason.

One key difference:  Fulmer has never dominated at any minor league level.  Hansen led the minors in K’s.  Hansen just needs to return to form.  Fulmer needs to form.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, Timmy U said:

One key difference:  Fulmer has never dominated at any minor league level.  Hansen led the minors in K’s.  Hansen just needs to return to form.  Fulmer needs to form.

After 2017, I thought that Hansen had a chance to be better than Kopech or Cease. 

• Like 1