Way to take responsibility Welly.

9 hours ago, Jake said:

The big mystery in all of it is why EPO. The benefit would be minimal at best and I think more likely that it would have no performance benefit.

Isn't the thing that they typically test for the Testosterone/Epitestosterone ratio, which gets screwed up if you just take testosterone, so a truly effective cheater trying to beat the test needs to keep his body in balance of both of them by taking an appropriate amount of both? That's why an EPO positive is also a suspension, because you're trying to raise your testosterone level with the steroids and if you take slightly too much of the EPO, you miss the balance and the extra EPO is what you test positive for.

In other words, a high EPO amount can be a sign of a skilled doped athlete who has been working to beat the tests for some time.

I was under the impression he failed for Erythropoietin  not epitestosterone.  Erythropoietin increases the number of red blood cells.  Used more by bikers and others in endurance activities to carry more oxygen to the muscle tissues and remove CO2.

Edited by BamaDoc
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Leads one to believe that his excuse might actually be legitimate 

Agreed, I actually believe him because I don't buy that he intentionally took something illegal that really does nothing for a baseball player. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Isn't the thing that they typically test for the Testosterone/Epitestosterone ratio, which gets screwed up if you just take testosterone, so a truly effective cheater trying to beat the test needs to keep his body in balance of both of them by taking an appropriate amount of both? That's why an EPO positive is also a suspension, because you're trying to raise your testosterone level with the steroids and if you take slightly too much of the EPO, you miss the balance and the extra EPO is what you test positive for.

In other words, a high EPO amount can be a sign of a skilled doped athlete who has been working to beat the tests for some time.

2 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

I was under the impression he failed for Erythropoietin  not epitestosterone.  Erythropoietin increases the number of red blood cells.  Used more by bikers and others in endurance activities to carry more oxygen to the muscle tissues and remove CO2.